Anything you wish you could unhear and free yourself?

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jul 2, 2023.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So I've been listening to this podcast for many years now. I will not name names so I don't ruin it for those of you who are also listeners. For most of those years, my two gripes with it have been about things I couldn't hear.

One is one of the hosts who speaks in a very very suave voice and tone, as if he were talking to a woman resting her head on the other half of the pillow his head is resting on. I have to turn up the volume every time it's his turn to speak. The other is a gentleman who comes on less often to cover a different branch of the sport. I know that's what he speaks is technically English from one of the UK nations, but damn. If I don't have headphones on, I just skip the episodes he's on. But unlike the sound mixing/anything issue with the other one, that one is on me, I acknowledge it. It's not his fault that I have limited range in British accents. I just wish I could understand more than 30% of what he says.

Now the actual reason for this thread. At some point in the past couple of years, I suddenly noticed how one of the hosts just can't get a full sentence out without one or multiple long "ummmmmmm," or "errrrrrrrrrr." And now I can't unhear it. For the past couple of years, I can barely process the actual content of his remarks because my attention is focused on that. I have ruined the damn podcast for myself

Does stuff like that happen to anyone else? :D

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Not a chance, Jack.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There’s a dude I listen to once in awhile that talks very methodical and sometimes takes long breaks before and sometimes during answering a question.
    Come on mother trucker I got shit to do! Answer the damn question and finish your thought! :mad:

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

It's more the general verbal ticks that get annoying for me.

Indians (Gandhi types), but they're not alone, are often the most likely to start every sentence with "Basically...."

5. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

A simple how-to video on YouTube thats 17 minutes long and starts with 'Heeeeyyyyy, you tubers..... it's warm today...... blah blah."

Rebel635 and R1Racer99 like this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I can see how that would get to me too. :mad:

But technically, silence is not something to hear or unhear. :D

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I hate the phrase “to be totally honest “like you’ve been lying up till now, and now you’re going to tell the truth!

ToofPic, GRH and 27 like this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

In fairness, it could mean "if it were someone else asking, I would lie…"
    You should be flattered. :D

Razr likes this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

“Like.” If you use like 10 times in two sentences I’m gone.

so, like, I was like walking down the street a giant, like, purple elephant ridden by a chimpanzee wearing a top hat and smoking, like, a cigar walks by. I was, like . . . Could be a great story but, like, you killed it with all those likes and I’m gone. F you and f the elephant. The chimpanzee, well, he kicks ass.

skidooboy likes this.
  10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Yes, all the time, some people are unable or uncomfortable having silence between words/thoughts and use gap filler words/phases, sounds. Odd trait that can be distracting from the actual discussion topic.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You're lucky you don't have to hear Quartararo say "voilà" several times per sentence in his French interviews. That's another one I brace myself for instead of listening to what he's actually saying.

12. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

The one that bothers me the most is “right?”. Why are you stopping mid-sentence to ask me a question when it’s really not a question and you just keep yapping? I hear what you’re saying asshole.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I hate the motogp podium interviews anymore. I can’t handle listening to the eye-talians. Monotone, expressionless and boring. Quartararo at least in English shows some emotion but yeah, I’ve tried watching him in the French feed on the YouTube’s and it’s very different than in English (I’ve been trying to pick up some French again but it’s difficult).
    If Miller comes on I’ll pay attention. He’s a goober. :)

14. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

I thought podcasters were all spawn of the people doing the NPR Saturday shows. Same inflection, same delivery.

15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

errrrrr no.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I occasionally listen to 1-2 podcasts that I launch from the web, since I don’t even had a podcast app. Anyway I listen to the same one and have trouble understanding and have to crank the volume. Good content but I don’t listen often because of the hassle.

For some reason the aaaahhhh or eeeerrrr guy doesn’t bother me. But you probably screwed me now you &$&/$(!!! :D

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Hey, I left all the names out. You inferred what podcast it was all on your own. That's on you. :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Decent audio processing would fix the high/low level stuff as long as the person talking is close enough to the microphone.
    That's something easily fix by an audio person.

Can't help with the um, er, ah, stuff. That's something a speaking coach has to work with the person on.

I often hear podcasters, politicians/political candidates, or other public figures talking on air or at a public event and cringe thinking they need a speech coach.

Based on the thread title, I was expecting this to be about the lying, gaslighting, hyper critical words, etc we all tend to hear too much of, either in our own heads or from others.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The millennial thing where they end every sentence on an upward inflection. Like everything is a surprise, or a question.

It irks the shit outta me.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Some of you guys are listing stuff that's irritating the first time you hear it. In my case, I was fine listing every week for years and not hearing it until I heard it one day. And everything changed.