1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The International North West 200 | 8th - 14th May 2022

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, May 9, 2022.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Great job Dunlop tires! :confused:

stk0308 likes this.
  2. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Holy shit :/

3. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

looks,,,,,,,, bad

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Tread delamination

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. SpeedWerks Racing

6. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Someone else had a chunk of a front tire come off as well. Not a good look for Dun-pop.

The upshot is all Dunlop riders were withdrawn from the final superbike race.

7. SpeedWerks Racing

[​IMG]

Nathey and stk0308 like this.
  8. stk0308

That's it. Thanks. My Googlefu failed me. Nasty looking failure there.

9. That’s bad, really bad. A handful
    of these guys get paid well to race this and the TT and that’s a good portion of their income for the year. Sucks all the way around.

Think that is McCormicks BMW? I know he was one that had a tire come apart. Remember the superbikes at Daytona and tires coming apart, cannot imagine one coming apart that bad there. They’d better get this shit sorted before the TT.

10. SpeedWerks Racing

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's some good advertising right there...

12. Nathey

Nathey Well-Known Member

Why is this a problem now and it hasn't been before? The NW200 isn't new and Dunlop aren't new to this. Am I correct in assuming these are tires designed for this race (like the Daytona tires) and not off the shelf slicks? Either way it's worrying, I'm just trying to understand what went could have gone wrong (and I'm sure Dunlop is too lol)

13. stk0308

Dunlop has already started with the excuses, they're claiming it was just a "bad batch" of tires.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well it’s true. They sure as hell weren’t a good batch of tires!

JBraun and ducnut like this.
  15. Nathey

Nathey Well-Known Member

Yikes. I wondered if that was the case but the fact that the slicks and the treaded tires are doing that means it's a bigger problem, right? I'm purely speculating as I know very little about these tires.

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

You don't know this and you're speculating. And I'm pretty sure the Daytona tires are very different and I know that because they are produced in the US and I would think those used in the UK and Europe come out of th Spanish D factory

17. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Excuse would be blaming something outside their control, that's pretty much owning that they fucked up?

https://www.northwest200.org/statement-from-organisers-dunlop-tyres/

18. Nathey

Nathey Well-Known Member

You're right that I'm speculating, that's why I used the word assuming. I'm simply trying to understand why these tires are failing and whether they are off the shelf or custom-made for this race. That is helpful to know they have a factory in Spain, if they are indeed custom tires then you're probably right that they came from that factory. Obviously we don't have many details, but I'm just trying to understand what's going on

19. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I remember when pirelli had some shit tires also.

Unfortunate but happens.

20. Tires for racing on the roads have a lot of different demands than short circuits. It’s a catch 22 just like a Daytona tire is. It needs to be soft enough and compliant carcass wise enough to get enough grip on the public roads but yet not overheat on long straights on full on super bikes. If I was a betting man I’d say this is a quality control issue and not an issue on how Dunlop spec’d out the tires to be made. Or maybe they didn’t like that amount of forc.e and heat and the tread layer hit the eject button. It’s the internet so I’ll speculate as I don’t need facts :) Looks like there is almost no adhesion between the tread layer and the rest of the tire.

Nathey likes this.