which way and why?

Discussion in 'General' started by long path/road, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

OH NOOOOO

Run for your livesss

2. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

no worries cranky..
    it's a shits just trying to figure out why and if really makes a difference.. will say from most input Info to think it makes a huge difference other than personal preference, given from what most have said... I can understand both sides. a foot under a foot over... was simply a question if made different out come....end of day the outcome is from the individual.. does it make a huge difference after this gonna say no... unless we just want all to say we're gp racers..and don't give a crap but mop sorry mhop is its a personal way to get around the track... is it really the pattern or the person???? that is why I asked the question.....trying to find out if there was anything beneficial to switch things up?? gonna say prob not just my .2

3. long path/road

I just am looking to learn what I can so squidward can take a break because sponge Bob likes to learn.......

4. long path/road

never had teddy ruxpin.... wonder if that's what alot of squidward is concerning himself with..missing his . shit seriously can't ask a damn question anymore???yes the op asked a dang question sorry didn't move fast enough for most... but will say asked a damn question and most won't because they're no longer allowed...but learned alot from question I did ask...so fall back into the sea... and sorry but an ass is an ass it pulls the buggy/trailer to get us all where we need to go...

5. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

Dont ask the internet, try it.

6. long path/road

grrrrrrr.. why??? isn't this why it's hear ??to have a place to ask questions and be informed?? learn ??? and it seriously has to go that way?? apologize asking a damn question only ask to learn... most won't ask because... of that crap...and then where does it leave other than the genius???
    don't ask it what??? already said I've tried both! just was curious why one did over the other... review back and you'll find it...

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Very well, to answer the question...
    Yes.
    :crackup:

8. long path/road

standard to me is normal. . what I grew up with since 8 yrs old mostly on dirt bikes..... which can't really change.... bought my tz from moxey had gp shift and fought with it but switched back and forth.....learned it but still went to standard ....just like hppt said...kinda when that's what you know and go to grab a gear and stand o. your nose...went back to standard. end of day was just asking why some prefer or why there is or might be a different opinion or benefit ..

9. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

whats the best oil again?

10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

[​IMG]

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

In the case of shifting when upright, it's personal preference. (You could maybe make the argument that having your foot under the shifter helps lock you into position under heavy braking, where pushing down would be lifting your body off the seat somewhat.)

But when it comes to shifting when at full lean, it's not preference it's a matter of ground clearance and your capability to work around it. The question is whether there are corners on the track where you'll have to catch an up and/or a downshift while fully leaned over. You can click down on the shifter when at max lean, but you can't fit your foot under the lever then. I can't think of enough places that I'm good enough to be decelerating enough to need a downshift at max lean. Typically, I'm going to double apex or something so that I can stand the bike more upright to be able to brake harder. I am good enough to catch an upshift while fully leaned over. Without gp shift, I'd be required to stand the bike up to shift, then turn in again. Mladin is good enough to do this without sacrificing speed, but I'm not.

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I ride dirt, street, supermoto and 50's on kart tracks. I've forgotten that my race bike was gp shift like twice ever. I'm also notoriously clumsy. It's not that big of a deal to go back and forth.

tjnyzf likes this.
  13. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Im glad for those this doesn’t bother… But for some of us, like me, it does.

That’s why I brought up the awkward shifting while leaning issue in one single turn not being a big enough issue for me to switch what otherwise works.

My kid has a Xr50 with a Lifan 90 motor in it and a metrakit 50 with GP shift and it’s written in bold letters on the tape on the tank for a very good reason.

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

They label shift levers in cars, there's no standard and people still fuck that up, too. It doesn't mean one way or the other that there is a right reason or a wrong reason to determine a shift pattern.
    With bikes, you have two choices, the legislated standard or the reverse. Labelling the alternate reverse pattern in scenarios where either pattern might be used makes it easier for clean-up crews to remove your junkyard from the course should you end up on your ass.
    Again, standard or reversed, there is no right or wrong...and it's only a standard because it was legislated. Think about that...it means fuckall. If it meant anything, wouldn't cars' manual transmissions also have a standard pattern?

15. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

In a car you can look down at the shift knob and see the pattern. On a bike.....

I don't think it means fuckall. Up for up, down for down....The dumb part is neutral in the middle of 1-2. If anything it "should" have been N-1-2-3-4-5-6-6-6......

Bikes should have been an H pattern like a car. One standard for all.....

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you can look at the dash & see what gear youre in???

17. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

how many bikes have gear indicators? Maybe now

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

My 2005 gsxr has one...

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If you're flexible enough, the shift pattern is usually on the chain guard/cover region right by the lever, at least on most Japanese bikes?

fastfreddie likes this.
  20. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I just got my first bike with a gear indicator!