1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which way and why?

Discussion in 'General' started by long path/road, Apr 18, 2022.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

That’s 3 on the tree to the rest of us non NE guys who pronounce our Rrrrrsss :D

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My dad had an old harley buddy with suicide shift.

That was bad ass

3. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Same. But... I'm going to swap it and give it a go.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Last one I drove was in a Rambler. Or Ramblah, if you prefer ;)

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Slipper clutch is sweet especially when you get it adjusted tuned in good for your riding style.

6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

AMCs rocked or Paced the world... or both considering Wayne and Garth

My last one was a Ford 150 that the cab mounts were so rotted you had to have the right amount of twist on the Cab/column to get it out of heat and back in before the linkages locked up again... kinda like low tech hillbilly synchronizers... would say theft control but no way in hell anyone was stealing it, even if they could drive it.... and only a few of us could do that... or start it with the plyers in the sylanoid(sp) trick, everyone should know that though... seriously

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  7. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Going GP is like going black….

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It's non-Texan. Get it right! :D

9. code3ryder

03 gix 750 ... I don't need no stinking slipper clutch!!! :D

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

:D
    I didn’t on my 600s 0f these same years and was able to modulate the clutch a little with my left hand to help reduce rear wheel hop when I got too aggressive with my back shifts. But after I got one on my 1000 it was pure sweetness.:clap:

11. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

GP (or whatever you want to call it) on my bike. I have limited range upward (Achilles tendonitis) in my left ankle and I just found it easier for me to upshift. When I could still move my ankle normally it was just the normal STD shift.

12. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

I’ve only ever caught false neutrals while pulling up on the lever. Seems safer for that to happen accelerating out of a corner rather than while slowing to make the corner. Watching pros race it seems like missed corners and near crashes due to false neutrals are relatively commonplace.

code3ryder likes this.
  13. code3ryder

I think what's got me to try the switch is that my local track (High Plains Raceway) the upshifts are coming out of rights and my fat booty's gotta get over much further to get that upshift. We'll see how it goes.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

can do both... ambishifterous?
    Prefer the 1 up pattern. If the pattern is 1 down I need a reminder decal.

long path/road likes this.
  15. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

My bikes were always std, but I rode a few gp and never found it difficult to switch back and forth. I never switched mine out of pure laziness lol.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Ten bikes with manual transmissions here...up, down, it doesn't really matter.
    I prefer GP. Rarely, if ever, make a mistake.

Kinda interesting story...
    Only once was one of those above errors a concern, but I had compounding issues at the time that were bigger. Dehydrated, malnourished, hot August endurance race at Grattan. Brain was fading (heat exhaustion?), downshifted while tucked and accelerating on the front straight. That was the first indication I shouldn't be out there. Next indication was missing the T1 brake marker, then the turn-in point...and I was fucked in the head for the rest of the lap after that. I pulled in.
    My teammate, who was in a similar state, was sitting in the chair he pulled up for himself after his stint, one boot unbuckled...that's as far as he got while I was on track for 45 minutes. :crackup:

17. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Whatever you do ! Don't endurance race with 2 different riders that don't use the same pattern.
    I'm old and standard, never tried the "not gp shift" ( I'm with Kevin,and a kiss ass )

18. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Switched my street bike to GP shift to try it out. Promptly switched the track bike over as well and never changed back. No issues using standard when I ride my wife's bike though. Just remind myself before I start and all is good.

19. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Schwantz was obviously doing it wrong. Smh

20. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

I have this same problem turning onto the front straight at Barber. But not enough to change what works fine everywhere else.