1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2021-2022 | Off-Season

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 17, 2021.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Errrrrrbody was on a 500. That argument might've carried some weight if he'd done it on a V2.
    Rossi was already running on fumes in 2019 when Marquez deployed the heaviest pimp hand of his career, right before breaking his arm.

2. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yeah but that was 3 seasons and two severe injuries ago is my point

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wait, wait, wait… I said 2019 but wasn't it 2020? I swear I can't keep track of time since Covid started.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Papa, my point with 500s was they were not rider friendly, not even the Big Bang versions and it was easier to be maimed by one then to get one around the track much less win on one. Took until year two with the 500s for him to win the championship and the grid wasn’t as strong as it once was but he survived the 500s and won the last 500 championship.

6. noles19

He broke his arm In 2020 at Jerez which was the first round. his last championship was 2019

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So he gets GOAT for not getting maimed during the two-year stretch he was in 500s? Lots of other guys made it through those two years. The best guy was going to win, whatever they were all on. Sorry, man. The 500 thing doesn't work for me. I am more impressed with him dialing in an extra 10 seconds at Philip Island to win a race after getting a time penalty. That was superhero stuff.

younglion likes this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, that's the race I was referencing. Those laps between his dirt track excursion and his highside, sweet baby Jesus… He humiliated the field like he had rarely done before.

wac likes this.
  9. noles19

Agreed that was some video game stuff

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nah, he ain’t the goat. He might be in the running in it if it wasn’t for Marquez and maybe even Lorenzo. Shit, if stoner had been able to get a few more seasons in, I think he’d drop off the podium.

once again, this debate and his position on the list is how I read the statistics and what time of the day it is except for who is the current goat. Rossi ain’t it.

11. noles19

Did you hit your head walking under a step stool or something?

BigBird and motoracer1100 like this.
  12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

That’s some gymnastics. He’s in the running, and none of the second tier riders you mentioned are. We’ll see if Marc can heal himself back into contention.

Those laps before he broke his arm are likely microcosmic for his career.

Also, it’s Hailwood. We can move on now.

13. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Awful lot of “ if’s “ being throw out as to who would be GOAT …
    A lot of the opinions are based on personalities or weather they fantasize about banging their wife’s ( that’s you RB) . Being the fastest for a short stretch and gathering 3 or so Championships doesn’t cut it . Had MM not destroyed his body he had a real and probable chance to be it .. but that is another “ If “ .. he is done . Like it or not 46 is it till someone wins more Championships..
    Now back to the whining and crying already in progress…. :D

BigBird and Knotcher like this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You know there are multiple champions with double-digit numbers of championships, right?

15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Angel Nieto...

16. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Sure I do .., I can see an argument being made that it should be Ago .. and those were the days of riders riding in all 3- or 4 classes at every event . So if total # of Championships is the deciding factor then it isn’t Rossi .. however as you well know , no one can agree as to what the parameters are for establishing the definition of GOAT .. I think most are going with most wins / podiums/ championships in more or less “ modern “ times .. that leaves the guy with the yellow 46 as it .

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, yeah, if you're going to conveniently eliminate the ones who have more championships than he does, then he has the most.

Going with your new criteria, I would say that 500s are not modern. So, he is now tied for championships that count with Márquez.

Where are we moving the goalpost next? :D

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  18. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

IMO, as a combination of winning, longevity, adaptability, impact on the sport, and worldwide cultural icon it’s not even close. It’s 46.

motoracer1100 and SuddenBraking like this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If we agree that this seriously reduces the correlation between "best" and "greatest," then there is no reason to disagree with that.

20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

It's identical to the debate among golfers of the GOAT.

Jack Nicklaus is the GOAT because of his 18 majors, but undoubtedly Tiger Woods played the best golf of any human in history in his heyday.

BigBird and The Great One like this.