What age for kid's first dirt bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Jan 5, 2022.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

So my son is turning 3 in a few months and I'm considering whether it's time to get him a dirt bike for his birthday, such as a XR50 or PW50. Thinking training wheels would be good to start with. He's had a balance bike for a couple years that he does quite well on. We started quite early on that with me just pushing him around as he learned some balance and then we went off on his own once he could touch the ground. Last time I tried him on a pedal bike with training wheels, he wasn't quite strong enough yet to really cycle the pedals but that was also a few months ago.

So what sayeth the beeb? When did your kids get their first dirt bikes? What did you learn that would have been helpful to know in advance? Is 3 too young? Should he get a pedal bike first or does it matter?

FastByKids likes this.
  2. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Learn from others mistakes, mine... do not ever put them on a bike with training wheels... that’s the biggest thing to overcome in their riding. The rest they come by naturally because the motions of the bike/MC are the same, training wheels changes the dynamic and they have to unlearn what has become instinctive.

Id really look at the electric options too. And xr/ttr50 is a heavy pig, a pw is better, jr even moreso, I haven’t looked at electric ones but that’s ideal for kids, light and easy.

backbone, Senna, WillMill and 2 others like this.
  3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I got one for my son when he was 5. He's very good on his bicycle and has been riding one without training wheels since he was 2. He got spooked a bit last summer when my dumbass forgot to limit the throttle on the little CRF fiddy and didn't want to get back on. I'll try again next summer if he wants to get back on the horse, but I'm not gonna pressure him if he doesn't want to.

grasshopper, Boman Forklift and 27 like this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

And they’re never too young, both mine rode before they were two... with stupid training wheels. They wouldn’t have been able to hold them up so not sure what is better... those early memories and videos of them or them being better riders sooner... every kid is different too, each make their own way. We always have motorcycles their size and I will always stop anything to go ride, but I always have them ask me, even if I’m riding solo, that way I know they want to and don’t feel pressure to ride.

Either way have fun and make memories!

BigBird likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My kid learned to ride a dirt bike before he was on a bicycle. I think he was 3-4. Like most kids, it was a Honda 50.

BigBird and 27 like this.
  6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Get him a stayce bike first it's a electric strider

spoon32 and 27 like this.
  7. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

The rule in the house was they had to learn how to ride a peddle bike without training wheels.

My lower age kids all learned to pedal before age 4 and therefore was ridding moto's. All the kids would ride around in my lap around age 2 in the neighborhood. I would let them use the throttle and say "go fast" or "go slow". Was a great tool to teach them throttle control.

We had a XR-70 that they all learned on. The bigger wheels helped with confidence on the grass and dirt. My kids were always tall for their age so touching the ground wasn't a issue. The semi-auto is a great tool to shift on before a clutch. Wished I would of kept those chassis!

This is only my opinion, the 50's with training wheels was never a go in our program. Plus because the 10" wheels it was a disaster in wet and slightly muddy conditions. We did the 50's when we started doing mini road racing. In that capacity they are like a swiss army knife. Great parking lot training and we even flat track them. Usually at the end of the day kids always fall back on them as a "fun" relax bike at the track. It's fun seeing them harass the Groms!

27 likes this.
  8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Use training wheels...just learn how to adjust them. Start out with them close to the ground so they learn how to pedal and a hint of balance. When they've got that down raise the wheels a couple of inches so that the bike becomes floppy. They'll hate it and quickly learn how to adjust. The whole point is to minimize crashing. As soon as they've got yhe balance thing figured out go ahead and remove the wheels. Voila! The whole process can be done in about 2 weeks.
    I tried the training wheels on the grand son's PW50. That was a mistake. They can't be adjusted and he wasn't pedal bike comfortable. He would power slide that PW50 on the outside training wheel thinking he was bad ass, reving the sh*t out of it while the rear was in the air. It was entertaining but counter productive.

9. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Strider on rocker to Strider to E-strider (we have the Stacyc). Kids are 2 and 4

27 likes this.
  10. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

My three started at 3 on a PW, no trainers.

Senna and BigBird like this.
  11. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Son at 3yo, no trainers, PW50.

BigBird likes this.
  12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I don't think age matters so much as the ability to balance a moving two wheeled vehicle. Don't add an engine to the equation until your kid is comfortable on a bicycle. I've never seen training wheels on a dirt bike do anything but cause problems.

27 likes this.
  13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

This.

This, again. The light weight of the Stacyc is much less intimidating then a 50, much easier to control speeds (three settings), they won't accidentally burn themselves, etc. It's a superior platform for learning, full stop.

14. Strider bike then no training wheels, remote kill switch if it makes you feel better.

27 likes this.
  15. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

25 months on a kdx50 with training wheels. Took them off before 3 years old. No problems.

16. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Thanks all for the input. The suggestions of a Stacyc bike wasn't even on my radar but I'll definitely look into those.

FastByKids likes this.
  17. Phl218

Phl218 .

i went this route for the kiddo:

age bike

2 stryder
    3 honda 50 w. training wheels, those came off after two months and daddy took place in the back seat teaching lines and controls
    3.5 buddy crashed the kid into my 6x12, got a big scar with 7 stitches on the forehead, kid hates the bike
    4 12" BMX bike with training wheels, those came off after a month
    5 stacyc, upgraded to brushless motor
    6 16" (?) MTB with 7 spd and disc brakes

he rides around like a savage on the stacyc, elbow out, leaning into the turns, looking through the turns.... my hope is he will get over the dirty bike trauma this year and we can start riding trails.

so, whatever you're doing, i recommend a good (light) helmet, all kids dirtbike helmets are way too heavy IMHO. got him BELL full face helmets, those are awesome, good enough protection at those speeds while being light and good flowing.

cha0s#242 and BigBird like this.
  18. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

My son went strider to mecatechno ebike at his 4th birthday.

no training wheels. Not ever. It makes the bike steer all fucky and backwards. If they don’t have 2 wheel balance yet leave them on a strider.

Keep the bikes small but growing with them. They are basically cash anyhow.

he went ebike->crf50->crf110. Next will either be a 65 or a crf125.

27 likes this.
  19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Can you explain ? Is he still your buddy ?

BigBird likes this.
  20. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Strider bike as soon as they can walk, 12" Stacyc when they can push and balance themselves on the strider, with no assistance. when they mastered and outgrow the 12", update to the 16" Stacyc.

You will not lose money buying small bikes with motors, or the Stacyc's. put my 4 year old grand daughter on a 16" Stacyc, at Christmas.

The great thing about the Stacyc is, it has 3 power levels, and the ability to turn it off so, it is just like a Strider bike, until the child can show it can handle the responsibility and power of a powered unit.

Enjoy exposing the next generation to the 2 wheeled freedom, we have learned love. Ski

27 likes this.