Barn Doors or Ramp for an Enclosed Trailer?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 647, Nov 19, 2021.

1. 647

647 Well-Known Member

I am finally getting an enclosed trailer. I want to get something in the next month so I've got time over the winter to get it set up for next season.

A question for folks who already have one is whether to get one with barn doors or a ramp. Quite a long time ago I remember someone telling me that barn doors were the way to go so that you could leave the back open during the day and then not be tripping over the ramp all day, but wanted to get some other data points.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I deliberated over this years back when I got my enclosed trailer.......150% without question ramp door. It makes literally everything easier. If you have troubles tripping over it just open your eyes and look at where you're going, problem solved :D

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Motorcycles don't roll up barn doors.

What are you doing?

DmanSlam and rcarson15 like this.
  4. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

The only, and I mean only advantage barn doors have is that you don't need as much space behind the trailer to open the rear. In every other regard ramp is better. Need to load a bike, ramp. Need to put a table saw in the back, ramp. Want to walk into the trailer, ramp. There's a reason ramps cost extra, because they're worth it.

beac83 likes this.
  5. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Ramp
    /end thread

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  6. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I did barn doors so I could easily load and unload with my trailer backed up close to my garage. I used an aluminum ramp to load the bike that hung on the back door. I didn’t have the driveway space to leave the truck and trailer connected and still be able to access the back of the trailer. No ragrats of not going ramp here.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is this trailer going to be purchased new or used?
    Biggest issue with ramp doors is the poor construction components... most "cheap" production trailers use L or Z channel so when you store it with the tongue elevated the water runs down the back and rots the supporting areas... sometimes in as few as 5 years. Then there is the weight and low clearance issues.

8. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Barn doors give you addditional wall space to hang stands on

9. 647

647 Well-Known Member

The plan is for a new one. That way I get to start with a known quantity. It will be stored indoors as well. What brands do you know of that you do not consider cheap and that last longer?

10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

https://www.arisingindustries.com/

11. TurboBlew

@BC could probably answer that better. Do you just want a box you can furnish to suit... or more turnkey with climate controls, lights, windows, bedding, & cabinetry?? Do you want a restroom?

12. 647

647 Well-Known Member

A box that I can customize. 6x10.

Unfortunately, where I live right now has a draconian HOA and I'll need to store it in my garage. That means that it must have a 91" or less total exterior height. So that is limiting my choices. So far I've found that ATC and Pace make a trailer that should work for me.

I think I'll go with the ramp given I don't have any space restrictions in that dimension and it sounds like the general consensus is a ramp.

13. TurboBlew

I would go 6x12 because 6x10 would be too small. Each bike will take up approximately 20 sq ft of floor space.
    In regards to parking... you could always remove the wheels and put the trailer on dollies to store inside. Since its so small... I might look into aluminum fabbed.
    Does your HOA allow storage sheds in the backyard?

14. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

Mine's a 6x12 with an extra 6" of height. I'm only 5'9" and the number of times I've hit my head on the top of the man door entrance (door jamb) in my friends trailer that doesn't have the extra 6" is almost unbelievable. If you can find a way to shoehorn a slightly taller trailer in your garage I would highly recommend that extra bit of height.

Out of curiosity, why the fuck are HOA's so damn popular in the States? I was close to moving to Cali from Canada earlier this year for work and it was almost impossible to find a house that didn't have a HOA.

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I've had two enclosed trailers...one with barn doors, the current one with a ramp door.

Hauling the additional ramp to get the bike into a barn door trailer is a pain in the fucking ass.

If someone trips over a ramp, that's their damned problem. They should pay attention to where the hell they are walking.

Pixelator likes this.
  16. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

ramp, and slide pool noodles on the cables when door is down, bright colored ones

rd400racer, Rene Bucek and 647 like this.
  17. 647

647 Well-Known Member

Popping off the wheels after every outing will get old fast. Your idea of the dollies is a brilliant one. Initially, I went with a 6x10 because I figured the 12 would be too long for me to be able to maneuver the trailer to maximize space in my garage. But, with a set of auto dollies I can roll it into the garage, onto the dollies and then move it around. Thanks!

I've already got a shed of maximum size and a trailer won't fit in it . . . so, storing it in the garage is the only option.

Talking to a dealer yesterday he indicated that I could always put 14" vs. 15" wheels on it, depending on the model, as well as go with torsion axles vs spring to tune it to be lower as well. So it looks like I have options.

Thanks for all of the feedback from everyone in this thread. :)

18. 647

647 Well-Known Member

I'm a hair under 5'7" so I think I'll be OK. Unfortunately, I've gotta go with a 6' interior height to get it in my garage, so I'll just have to deal with it.

People like HOAs so that they can keep the appearance of their neighborhood up to their standards. That is certainly not something I care about in the least, and the HOA was the biggest detractor for this house . . . . as soon as the kids are out of high school, I'm outta this place and into one where I can do whatever the hell I want :)

19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'd go ramp. Way easier to own and sell. That it makes it more useful hauling other shit around. Furniture etc.

Ducati89 likes this.
  20. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Agreed.