MotoAmerica 2022 silly season

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

He was getting toooo damn big for that thing. I'm excited to see him progress.

henry_carlson likes this.
  2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Engine builders' bottom lines just increased! Good thing I pre ordered a few head gaskets.

henry_carlson likes this.
  3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why they don't have 2 stock 1000 races and twins races each weekend, at least at the majority of the races. They would both be more entertaining than a 3rd superbike race.

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Royal Enfield BTR and the Baggers at selected rounds need track time.. Gotta jam it all in like a CCS weekend..

5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

better get some extra thick ones.. That's a long time at full stick

Triple X likes this.
  6. noles19

Hell just run one superbike race that saves time:crackup:

7. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

France shaped that place like a toilet bowl for a reason...

8. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Unbelievable the largest grids are getting th fewest races. Unacceptable.

9. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

I thought we previously discussed this topic somewhere on the beeb and it was also related to keeping costs for the racers and teams down.

10. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

Maybe the largest grids *because* it's the fewest races? Consumables aren't as high. Overhead is the same though... Dunno, thinking out loud.

11. noles19

Then set a tire limit for practice and qualifying, or only have one race per weekend every race..
    It just doesn't seem to make sense to have the travel all the way across country for one race at some events and then 2 races at others.
    Maybe I'm biased though because I like watching stock 1000 and twins more so than supersport and superbike.

12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

There are tires allocation limits. One-race rounds are limited to 2 tires fewer for STK1000 and Twins.

The grids are larger in part because you don't have qualify against Gagne or SDK/Richie.

STK1000 and Twins are "just" support classes. When something has to give for Baggers (which seems to be very popular), it'll be those classes.

13. noles19

I'm aware of the tire limits I was meaning stronger limits if that's the reason but I also know it's not the reason.
    The schedule has been the same long before the bagger class also has it not?
    My problem with the schedule is that it doesn't seem to help with cost cutting, and it's rewarding the logic that the superbike and supersport classes are what is going to grow the series and I think that is outdated and proven not to work.

14. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Twins, the black sheep of the series... What other class has riders that go out on Pirellis for P1 because the rider doesn't want to pony up for new tires and that's what's mounted from the last club race! Being a support race for the 200 with 2 races at Daytona is going to put a serious strain on the budget. We'll see how many pop over the weekend...

SundaySocial and Gino230 like this.
  15. noles19

The black sheep class to organizers, but with the most factories involved behind the scenes. :crackup:

BigBird and evakat like this.
  16. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Just bring a trailer full of spare engines and you’ll make a bunch of money!

BigBird and Waterboy like this.
  17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Daytona is not that bad, If you can survive Road America, you can survive Daytona. Yes, there's more time at full throttle at Daytona, but many of us have raced there for years without any engine failures. Hell, even Ducatis routinely make it through multiple weekends.

The thing about Daytona is, it's far more technical and difficult than it looks. Yes, having a strong motor is a big advantage, but I'm excited to race there- I have more laps at Daytona than probably all the other MA tracks I've raced at put together. Hoping for a good result that weekend!

18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

ok. race your air cooled cheater Ducati LW bike (Sam snickering) on MGP at Daytona and let me know how it goes.

Gino230 likes this.
  19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Actually, I don’t think the MA schedule has ever stayed the same year to year. Twins is new. STK1000 used to race w SBK. We used to have Superstock600. Local clubs used to have support races, sometimes even vintage races. Baggers are getting more races. MA supported GP and WSBK. Etc etc.

MA is still actively trying to improve SBK and SS because those classes align with the world stage. They will never put support classes first - they wouldn’t be “support” if they did. “Outdated and proven to not work” is a weird opinion to have. MA publishes the viewership numbers. It’d be hard to interpret the data to think that STK1000 and Twins are a bigger draw than SBK and SS.

I don’t see much reason to reduce costs for Twins or STK1000. The grids are healthy and they contribute to the show. Part of the reason those grids are healthy is because it’s a lot of single entrants that aren’t traveling the country. So the numbers suggest that only 1 race at some rounds is no big deal. Plus for STK1000, MA really wants them to move up to SBK…. And reducing cost for STK1000 won’t help that one bit.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  20. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

I also enjoy these races immensely and would enjoy watching them get more every weekend. However, how many core riders do we have in those classes? I seem to remember a lot of the grid are one time/part riders and perhaps the limited races are cost effective for the riders. I really don't know but I could easily see that being the rationale. @Gino230 and @regularguy probably could answer if its more cost effective to have 1 race or two.

In terms of your scheduling argument I am 1100000% with you. even with Enfield's and baggers, the races are over by 4:30 at the latest and they have daylight until 8:30!