1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2021 | Round 15 | COTA | USA | Oct 1-3

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

It sounds like they're not even bumps any more. Certainly didn't look like it. They are undulating waves where the suspension simply cannot keep up. We were wondering did they consider the suspension set up for IOM, lol? In any case, so many riders chimed in, not just the usual chirpers, I hope they remedy it. Well, Roger Penske is out there, and Indy is a good time. For Formula 1 too.

ShadowBoxer, BigBird and BHP41 like this.
  2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

It was embarrassing watching the onboard cameras - what at any other racetrack would be vibration indicative of having a "moment" was just them having to traverse the "bumps".

KneeDragger_c69 and BigBird like this.
  3. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

the miller mir video on motogp site is hilarious. jack grabs the chin of his helmet

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yes, the bumps keep moving around. It's a Texas thing. Our's don't move they just get bigger and multiply.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, they said some bikes were raised as well as having the maximum wheelbase

Yzasserina and BigBird like this.
  6. 418

418 Expert #59

I think they need to stop going to COTA mainly because it produces boring racing. Nothing to do with the surface.

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

There should really be an inquest into how this planning was screwed up so royally.

You think as they're deciding where to build a world class racetrack that there'd be some consideration for whether the ground would support it :rolleyes:

BHP41 likes this.
  8. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

What you save on soil engineering goes straight to the bottom line....

YoshiHNS likes this.
  9. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

So maybe the bumps caused Izan Guevara's shock to loose its damping in Moto3? He sure had an emotional rollercoaster. That was pure drama!

10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I cant imagine the track surviving financially if it needs to be resurfaced twice a year. Oops!

Is it concrete with pavement on top? To me watching on TV it looked like the concrete sections were flexing at their joints like you see on old highways.

11. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Like was said, when the area was originally going to be houses in one of the fastest growing cities in the US and the developers said F this. You have to wonder why someone on that board didn’t realize they were dealing with a problem that will continue to surface no matter what they do.

12. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Mom is Civil/Structural. Top guys in these big construction projects will make every poor decision possible if they think it'll save them $20.
    "Hey. Engineers found there's a sinkhole where the corner of the building is supposed to be. We need to move the building or do some major excavation or something."
    "Naw. Just make the foundation strong enough that it doesn't need support under that corner. Budget is the parking change from my rental and a half empty tick tack container."

sharky nrk and MyWayGuy like this.
  13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

14. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

272225C2-D4C1-4E2F-8EB7-E3A63DB8D46C.jpeg

418 likes this.
  15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

The full interview of these two is also interesting.

16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I love Miller but I swear if anyone grabbed my helmet like that they would be nursing a broken arm back to the pits.

17. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

The pavement is on top of straight dirt NOT concrete. They did not even treat the dirt with gypsum or lime like they do in some circumstances. You can google pics of when and how track was built and get a good perspective

tlr74 and BigBird like this.
  18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Jesus, it's Texas. The streets and highways are a mess too. Why would the track surface be any different?

Gixxerguy855 and BigBird like this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

holy $hit

20. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Umm. Thats quite the engineeering error id say.