Listing a house

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Jul 15, 2021.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

How long does it typically take between the time you sign a contract with an agent to sell a house and they put it on market? I'm embarrassed to admit I'm 60 years old and have never sold a house. This home was my mom's and is hospital clean and still furnished for showing, but it's been 3 weeks since I signed the contract and it still isn't on the market. I'm awaiting an answer from the agent but figured I'd ask here since the beeb knows all.

Britt likes this.
  2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

And here I thought (based on the thread title) you were wanting to list your Harley for sale “as a house”.:D

rd400racer likes this.
  3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

That's too long. The agent is probably trying to sell it to one of their buyers to keep 100% of the commission. I'd reach out to the broker asap.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If I remember correctly ours took maybe a day or two if they had all the info and pictures and such.

sheepofblue and BigBird like this.
  5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

They usually show up on the MLS as soon as the agent takes pictures. BC is probably correct. Your agent is probably trying to steer a particular buyer to it. The listing will appear about two seconds before that buyer makes an offer. It's still your choice to accept it. I have been on the receiving end of that arrangement before.

BigBird likes this.
  6. rd400racer

Sorry for the title...typing too quick.

Anyway, I'm not going into a long story. My mom worked for the realtor that's selling her house for over 40 years. I've known them since I was a kid. They actually wrote the contract for a 5% cut and if it's another realtor that sells, they only get 2%, so I totally trust them. It just seems like it's dragging on too long. They called me last week to ask about doing two very insignificant things to the house, claimed it would help sell since we're asking a fairly premium price. Not only that, but we have 4 other houses to sell once this one is gone, so I'm waiving that carrot in their face.

7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Old realtors have a lot of contacts. He's shopping it around.

BigBird and tony 340 like this.
  8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I would want to put any property I have on an open market. This is a seller’s market. I would not allow a realtor to privately list it. Let the buyer’s determine fair market value in this market.
    Good luck with the sale :beer:

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

around here lately it depends on how detailed they want to go with photos and all that shit.

From a couple of days but well under a week.

Then the free for all, battle at thunder dome starts.

I think we hit top of the market, a lot of inventory has hit the market all at the same time and people have listed well over market price.

BigBird likes this.
  10. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

One or two days max to go live on a MLS after the pictures are taken.

Figure another day or two in this market to go under contract.

BigBird, TurboBlew and tony 340 like this.
  11. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

That's bullshit.

Should take no longer than 1.5 week to list, photograph and get somebody signed to purchase from start to (almost) finish.

This can vary in some towns...my last town you had to have 3 inspections and everything brought up to code before selling.

It it is "turn key" then it should be a quick move.

12. speedluvn

:stupid:

13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Does your state require you to agree to dual agency? Our state requires explicit, signed agreement to that, and we declined to allow our agent to sell to a buyer they represented.

BigBird likes this.
  14. rd400racer

Not sure about that, I'll need to read up to find that out. I appreciate all the responses. Deep down I think that the realtor is trying to get us max value for the house in this market, but I'm getting a little antsy as to why it's taking so long. I'm trying to not be a dick but that's a stretch from my normal demeanor in these types of situations:D

15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Easy now my fellow rd, sounds like you need a pecan and a bourbon. :D

vfrket and rd400racer like this.
  16. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

In this market, I would NEVER let my realtor sell my place to one of their clients.

List it, sit back and watch the bidding wars!

Here in central NJ, the over bidding on houses is out of control. People are paying WAY over list, waiving appraisals and inspections to get their bid accepted.

Gino230, BigBird, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  17. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Attempting to do a pocket listing.

Montoya likes this.
  18. speedluvn

Fug dat! Be the biggest beeb dick you can. You’re selling the house that once belonged to the family. Get the most that you can from this investment. Don’t line his pockets with what should be in yours. :beer:

Gixxerguy855 and rd400racer like this.
  19. speedluvn

Da fug you talkin’ about, pecans? :rolleyes:
    Let rain bourbon!

20. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Another thread, try to keep up.