1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

This is good advice. In a high pressure situation the only thing you need to do to deploy a loaded double action revolver is pull the trigger. Semi auto pistols require more familiarity before their operation becomes instinctive.

2. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I just pull the trigger no safety and always one in the chamber.lol

Wingnut, Shocker and Gorilla George like this.
  3. It’s an OLIGHT Baldr Pro 1350 lumen Light and Laser Combo.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07YR3NY98?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It’s selectable between Laser only, Light only, and Light+Laser.

I love it so much that I’ve got one on 5 different guns.

I mount it in a location so when I take my normal grip, I can easily operate it with my index finger without altering my grip.

It’s really bright, easy to zero, and the laser is awesome.

On top is a Sig Romeo5 with MOTAC (Motion Detection). It automatically comes on as soon as the gun moves, and then turns off after the gun is perfectly still for a few minutes.

Then I’ve got iron sights mounted at a 45deg angle. So in the highly unlikely scenario that the Red Dot and the Laser both don’t work, all I have to do is tilt the gun 45deg and I can utilize iron sights.

4. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

If you go this route, don't buy used. I believe the first runs had a fair amount of issues. From what I understand, they're all sorted now but for a non gun guy, you probably don't want deal with the hassle of determining which category a used one falls into. Hell, I'm a "gun guy" (I guess) and I wouldn't even wanna screw with it.

SpeedyTide and Gorilla George like this.
  5. Wingnut likes this.
  6. redtailracing

What makes you say that? I have nothing against revolvers but I actually would say many modern strikers are more user friendly. If you're talking 1911s or something mil-spec, then yea, it's not as intuitive. But I'd call those the exception, not the rule.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. :stupid:

I never use the safety on handguns. I think I only have 2-3 handguns that even have a safety.

I will utilize the Decocker on the P227 and H&K45 just to make that first pull longer and more difficult (~11lbs of force vs ~3-4lbs in SA).

With them decocked, it takes an intentional deliberate effort to fire it.

Photo likes this.
  8. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I dig the Olight on my shotguns but have streamlight and surefire on my other carbines. It's that Mlok to Picatinny that I need.

Attached Files:

gy999r and Gorilla George like this.
  9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Semi auto. Magazine in? Round in the chamber? Safety off? Weapon cocked? Grip safety?
    Revolver. Bang!
    Stress makes people forget things. There's just not much to forget with a revolver. Additionally, revolvers don't suffer from failure to feed or failure to eject. Don't get me wrong. I love my 1911, but the U.S. government subsidized my familiarity with it.

10. Damn I like that shotgun.

Shit.

Nick_OMC likes this.
  11. redtailracing

Being semi auto, worrying about if the mags in, round in the chamber are all effectively no different than a revolver to a new shooter. Both go bang by pulling the trigger each time with no other inputs. Mags, chamber in a semi are no different than loading a cylinder in a revolver except maybe the fact that the semi has to be racked once. But the cylinder of a revolver is effectively its magazine. Many strikers either have no safety or only have a trigger safety that the shooter doesn't even have to consciously be aware of. Strikers have no hammer (therefore don't have to be cocked).

Like I said, if we're talking 1911s or a Beretta M9 or anything else along those lines then I'm totally with you. But your run of the mill Glock is absolutely as user friendly as a revolver and easier to shoot. Strikers generally have lighter triggers, better recoil control, and better sights to boot so for a new shooter, it's going to be much easier to stay accurate. Oddly enough, I've only ever had 3 issues with a handgun that required repair and all 3 were with revolvers. I'm sure this is actually the opposite of the norm but still worth noting. The strikers do malfunction more (stove pipes and the like). However, a quality firearm that's well taken care of, running quality ammo is highly unlikely to malfunction (all my malfunctions have been with cheap range ammo but I EDC the good stuff). I'll take the trade-off of a minimally higher chance for a malfunction for higher capacity and better shootability all day long.

12. redtailracing

Put your wallet up, this aint the classifieds :crackup:

13. :crackup:

14. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

This is all true and makes sense to us gun guys. I also am not advocating a revolver over a pistol, just suggesting that the OP consider one as an option. I think that a revolvers operation is more visible and makes more mechanical sense to a non-gun guy than the "secret" stuff that goes on inside a semi-auto. The other thing for me, as a personal preference, is to have the chamber empty on my semi- autos. I have found, that with practice, it takes me very little time to rack the slide when I draw the weapon. It works for me but I don't recommend it to others. The one time I had to draw my 1911 for reals, I never even remembered racking the slide as I pulled onto target.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  15. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

One big thing to consider, right now, is ammo availability. My personal fav round is the 357 sig. Powerful, and you'll never get a feed ramp jam. BUT, for most of the guns that shoot the round, you can very easily do a barrel swap and mag change out and instantly have a 9mm version of the same gun. I do this with my glock 33. Aftermarket barrel, then the same glock magazines fit in all their line up. So, 10 seconds to swap barrels, then I can target shoot with 9mm. AND... most places still have 357 sig in stock. Good luck buying 9mm.

16. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I love my Hellcat. The only issue I've found so far is the grip tends to become a little much over time against the skin due to its aggressive texture. Far better fit in my hand than my 43 also.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  17. Try putting some Talon grips on it. I put some on mine (and the 43x).

SpeedyTide likes this.
  18. To be honest, I did the same for the longest time. I spent hours and hours practicing drawing and racking the slide in one motion.

It was some YouTube videos that got me to change my habits.

While of course the odds are very low that we will ever need to use our weapon “in anger”, I couldn’t believe how many videos are out there of attacks where people either couldn’t afford to lose that split second, or they only had one free arm (those were the ones that really got me).

Not trying to change anyone’s mind or convince anyone of anything. But personally, I feel much better having a round already in the chamber.

But like pretty much everything, to each their own.

RonR and helicopter99 like this.
  19. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Those are good choices, but I will echo those who mention a small revolver, either Ruger SP101 or S&W 640. They are heavy and rounds limited, but with practice they are extremely accurate at 7 yds. despite their short barrels. And they fit easily into a coat pocket (with Mika holster).

Just another .02 cents.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  20. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Posted in todays shotgun thread.

Attached Files: