Any Ford techs here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

A month ago I took my 2012 f150 ecoboost to the dealer for brakes and a recall repair. The recall was a reprogramming of the powertrain control module for sudden transmission down shifting.
    About a week after it was done I was backing out the drive and a wrench code popped up and the engine started stalling. I cut it off and it restarted and all was normal.
    Yesterday coming home it did it again. I'd start it back up, drive 100 foot and it would do it again. I limped it home and parked it.
    My question is, is could something they did (or didn't do) be responsible for these issues? It's just too much of a coincidence to me. I need to know how to approach these people when dealing with them.

Thanks

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

With a spiked 2x4. That’s how you approach them.

Don’t pussy out.

Dom17 likes this.
  3. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

You’ll have much better control with a spiked ball bat .. than a
    2 x 4 .. and a 12er of PBR in ya to loosen the joints so you don’t pull Something..

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Thats a common problem.

Here is what’s wrong.

[​IMG]

Sabre699, j cal, TurboBlew and 4 others like this.
  5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

They are known for throttle body issues, gotta pull a code to get a clue otherwise its total speculation,

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  6. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I’ll bring a scan tool over tomorrow.

Metalhead likes this.
  7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Sweeeet.

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

You took it to D&D?

our buddy Chris works there.

9. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

If you own a Ford long enough you’ll eventually become a Ford tech...speaking from experience.

ChemGuy likes this.
  10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

No shit? Well if BP brings his scan tool I can hit up Yankee for advice. I just want to know what's happening is/isn't something did when I took it for the recall. Just seems too much of a coincidence.

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

I’d bet it’s just the coincidental “dealer repair” fix one thing and budge another to make the poor bastard come back

12. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Since Ritchie seems to have help on the way I'm gonna pose another Ford mystery! I did an engine swap (5.4, 3 valve) in my 2007 Expedition back in March. Well known local shop with great experience & resources. In August it throws a code for wheel speed sensor and goes into limp mode (3rd gear only, I think). Shut off, restart and everything is fine. For multiple weeks. Transmission was also rebuilt last fall. Transmission guy went back through it on his dime and found nothing. I don't want to have the shop guy chasing a ghost because it has never done it with him driving it.
    Bad connector somewhere? Poor ground? Intermittent computer communication?
    I'm hoping for a Spitz response; he always has some positive input on these type of things.

13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Did you replace the wheel speed sensor or the hub?

14. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Yes on the sensor, gotta ask about the hub.

15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Worn hub will do that even with a new sensor. You over 100k miles on original hub?

16. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I'll dig into that, thanks!

17. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Never seen a wheel speed code cause a limp in for a transmission. Repair the codes first if they keep resetting and then chase the symptoms if there is anything else that comes up after. Sometimes one issue will effect other systems but that would be a new one I've never heard, especially on an 07. We normally just replace hub assemblies if we have sensor issues, it costs more but there is a better value replacing a whole hub and sensor typically. Of course that doesn't mean for sure the sensor or hub is the issue with 100% certainty. I actually just had a ram 1500 with a RF wheel speed issue and it wouldn't shift into 4x4 either. There was a code stored in the driveline module for invalid data from the ABS, so we assumed once we fixed the wheel speed issue the other items would be resolved too, and they were. It just goes to show start with what you know is wrong first and it may just resolve everything, even if you dont understand why they may be related. Sometimes they don't tell you that stuff in service manuals etc..

BHP41 likes this.
  19. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Damn... I'll go ahead and throw my question out here too.
    My 2017 Ford Escape AWD makes a noise and feels like the front right wheel is going to fly off when driving through standing water on the highway. It sounds and feels like some safety system is activating while just driving down the road. Like the abs or traction control but there are no codes thrown and of course the Ford techs can't reproduce it. I was thinking maybe a sensor was getting water in it somehow and kind of creating a "short" but truly don't know.

Its definitely a system problem and not water getting into the bottom engine cover. Only does it when its raining though lol.

I know... first mistake was buying it.
    Anyone know what this might be and how to fix it.

20. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

What kind of noise and what do mean “feels like the right front wheel is going to fly off?

Just based on what you’ve said it sounds like it’s transferring power the power given to front and rear. That could be totally off base though.

What’s the VIN? I’ll run it through Ford and see if there are any software updates available.