Neighbors complaining - advice requested

Discussion in 'General' started by Walter Hong, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Walter Hong

Walter Hong New Member

Dear beeb,

I like to go for a short motorcycle ride late at night before I go to bed, around midnight. It relaxes me. I have been doing this for at least a few months.

last week, our next door neighbor (the husband) complained to my wife that it bothered him. I thought it was because I rode up and down the street a few times the night before, so tonight I tried to ride quickly away, to minimize the noise in the neighborhood. When I returned, I discovered that the neighbor (the wife this time) texted my wife and complained I woke her up.

I texted her back and apologized and asked how late I could ride.

for the sake of good neighbor relations I am going to play nice, but I am wondering if you think this is the right response.

what sayeth the beeb?

best
    Walt

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

What kind of bike is it? Neighborhood shaking Harley? Or just a regular old sportbike. Unless you're buzzing through the neighborhood like a dick I dont think the neighbors have any reason to ask you not to ride your bike. But I'm a live and let live kind of guy.

BigBird and jksoft like this.
  3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Set their car on fire,to set the tone and display dominance. That's the only way.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Stop being a dick and rub one out if you need to get relaxed before bed time.

5. Walter Hong

Walter Hong New Member

The time I rode up and down a few times it was my track bike (06 gsxr600). Tonight it was a street husky 701.

6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

7. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Buy an electric bike

TurboBlew and Razr like this.
  8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Just ride whichever is the quietest and stop practicing holeshots.

9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Take it to reddit, AITA.

10. That is already alot more than I would have done. Ill be godamned if I am going to ask anyone else how late I can do anything. If you were screaming up and down the street, bouncing off the red limiter in 1st gear, maybe.

But just going for a ride? Neighbor or not, they can fuck right off with that bullshit.

I say do what you want, and block their phone number.

Fuck 'em.

grasshopper, cav115, MikeR and 17 others like this.
  11. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah I would say it’s a asshole move for sure... How would you feel if you were woken every night after you went to bed? No need to ride that late...

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Of all people I doubt you would have this opinion if you were on the other side of things.... Some people need to realize everyone dose t stay up to 11 or 12... and some others stay up till 4 AM... be respectful and make things work...

evakat and motoboy like this.
  14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

At least ride and ride away.....Riding up and down back and forth is a dick move for sure..especially with a track bike..

turbulence and grasshopper like this.
  15. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Missed the part about the track bike. That’s a bit much. Street bike, you’re good. If they continue to complain about the street bike, go back to riding the track bike up and down the street. :D

BigBird likes this.
  16. There is a difference between being blatantly disrespectful and showing no regard for others, and just wanting to ride your bike.

If dude was sitting in the driveway or in front of my house, revving the engine for no reason, or if he was just going up and down the street, back and forth, at 10k in 1st gear, then it would be a different story.

But just leaving and going for a ride, have at it.

If someone is intentionally making a point to wake everyone up and piss everyone off, then yeah I’d be the first one outside and raising hell. But someone just going for a normal ride, that’s none of my business.

For the record, there is a guy with a Harley that lives behind me, and every night at 1130pm I hear him go by. He might be coming home from a 2nd shift job, I don’t know. Yeah I hear it, and if I’m asleep it might wake me up, but again...it’s none of my business.

grasshopper, cav115, MikeR and 2 others like this.
  17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I agree, ride your street bike any time you want, just be cool about it. Idle away until you're clear of the neighbors, then go on. What if you had a car with an aggressive exhaust, legal but louder than stock, would you stay home just to satisfy the neighbors?

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

My neighbor would do that. He has a gsxr1000 with a pipe and for no reason he will start it up after midnight and bounce it off the rev limiter for a good minute(about 25 feet my bedroom window). I love the sound the wife goes nuts.I Figured he just likes to hear his bike run. So far no one in the neighborhood called the cops . Good guy I get along with him .like I said it doesn't bother me so I would never say anything.

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'd say your neighbor is a dick, I'm surprised nobody has called the cops yet.

20. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

One word - ear plugs ! Oh wait that's 2 . Either she wears em so they don't hear the bike or you wear em so you don't hear the bitchin. Or better yet everyone wears em + win win :crackup:

cav115, Rebel635, BigBird and 2 others like this.