School me on SLC/Utah...

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Wife and I have been looking to get out of the Midwest for some time, with a preference for the mountains and/or desert. It looks like I may have the chance to transfer to Salt Lake City for work soon.

Wife and I are in our late 20s. No kids and no plans for kids. Not LDS members. Overall pretty active - we do lots of hiking, biking, etc.

It looks like a decent spot to be for motorsports with UMC there. Seems like I can ride minimoto pretty much every weekend in-season and get some big bike track time once a month, although I'm not sure what the racing situation is out there. There's also a ton of mountain biking and skiing out there.

Any advice you guys can give me? How big of a deal is it going to be out there not being LDS?

Thanks in advance.

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

3. sdg

sdg *

Lots of normal people here.

418 and turbulence like this.
  4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Just from my visits there in the last two years, if you live close to downtown Salt Lake, the LDS thing is a non-issue. I suspect the suburbs may be different, but haven't ventured out that far as I'm always there for work and don't venture far from the hotel. The mayor of Salt Lake City is gay if that gives you any idea of how things have changed there. Most of my support staff is there. No idea if they are LDS or satanists or anything in between as it's never come up. With the exception that quite a few of them don't drink as a rule.

It's high on my list of destinations as I plan my exit from Oregon actually due to the outdoor activities and downtown being a lot more entertaining than I would have previously thought.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Utah is pretty nice. Be aware though... it has blown up in a big way in the last 20 years. I'm in St George today driving north thru the state. 88 degrees in mid October. Not bad :)

Phl218 likes this.
  6. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Salt Lake City itself isn't nearly as Mormon as it used to be, though as mentioned above the suburbs still are. That said, it's a beautiful part of the country with so much to do within reasonable driving distances.

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Utah is full.
    And unlike those that are constantly hating on LDS people, nobody in Utah gives a rat's ass what religion you choose.

But no, Utah is way over run and doesn't need any more immigrants. Regardless of religion.

turbulence likes this.
  8. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Buy a dirt bike. Living in Utah without a dirt bike would be like being a eunuch in Thailand.

TurboBlew, Circacee and 5axis like this.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, looks filled up to me:crackup:

[​IMG]

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

That land is all owned by the Feds, like the vast majority of Utah. All the land that can be inhabited is full. No vacancy.

rd400racer likes this.
  11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I take it you won’t be connecting me with your local real estate agent?

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Not until I see your voting record.

13. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

It's awesome. The wife and I have talked more than once about picking up stakes from Arizona and moving out there (especially with all the nitwits from California moving here now).

If you're thinking about it, might as well do it.

14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

In that case, I think you’d be happy to have me vs. the West Coast candidates they’d probably drop in there instead. :crackup:

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

There may be an opening, but there are none for those coming from that other direction for sure. We've had WAY to much of that crap over the last ten or so years.

But you may want to look into home pricing. It's not exactly what it was ten years ago. Where is your company located?

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

As opposed to? :D
    Why do you need any place to be 88° at any time, let alone in October?

Sweatypants and beac83 like this.
  17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I hear you. We’re having some of that even in Iowa. Lots of transplants from Chicago and Minneapolis suburbs. I’m from Chicagoland but hated the politics, taxes and overbearing government in IL and would never go back. Now some of that is creeping into our area. My property taxes alone rival my parents’ back when they had a home in IL.

I’m remote, but would be commuting into the city regularly to service the biotech/pharma firms.

Wife and I have done the suburb thing and have decided it’s not for us, so we’re thinking of trying to live a bit further out of the city in a modest home but with some level of scenery. It’s all very preliminary right now, of course. I was just told this was a possibility today.

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You sound like those Georgia guys. :crackup:

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Hmm, that industry is spread across the area. Lots of it on the east bench of SLC, but some on the west side and some down more towards where I live. Getting away from sprawl used to be much easier, where I am at was much more sparsely populated even ten years ago and is now homes everywhere. City I am in went from under 20K to over 70K people since I moved here 20 years ago. I bought some land down south in Virgin a couple years ago, plan to build and bug out that way in another few years after this current build boom settles down and gets back to realistic pricing.
    Pretty much all of the Salt Lake valley is suburbs, Utah valley will be within a couple years. Going west up the canyon to the Kamas area is really pretty and not the burbs...yet...but it's also the target area for the garbage people from the coast and is skyrocketing in price. Really all depends on how often you need to drive into which part of the valley and how long a drive is worth it to you.

Sweatypants and Senna like this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

It’s a cool heat. Like Icy Hot.

brex likes this.