1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pool Maintenance

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Oct 24, 2017.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

That's been covered, already. Over $10K to fill it in.

Good work, Bird.....I couldn't live without my little oasis here in FL. Once you become familiar with the process of upkeep, and stay on a schedule, it's easy-peasy.

image.png

2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

The type of heater that is 'better' varies.
    If you want lower cost, typically an electric heat pump. However, takes longer to heat the water, so you'll need to plan ahead if you plan on swimming. If you plan on continuing to use the solar cover, electric might be better for retaining heat. I haven't used my solar cover in over 5 years. Didn't like the looks of it and didn't like dealing with it.
    For the pump, get a variable speed. The one I have runs fast for 2 hours in the morning, slow for 10 hours, medium for 2 hours, then shuts off until the next morning.

BigBird likes this.
  3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I'm sure it was, never hurts to revisit.

Florida, I kind of get..but Northern States.....like New York (Bird's State) not so much. You can use your pool all year long for the most part, and don't need to spend a gazillion dollars to heat thousands of gallons of water radiating energy into the atmosphere.

My parents were general managers of a Motel in North Dakota that had an outdoor pool. Talk about a nightmare to maintain. Only used 3 months a year, and almost every day
    we'd come to work with an inch of dirt at the bottom from the prairie winds blowing dust at night.

All the Motels and Hotels there now have indoor pools with cheezy little water parks inside them. Those are different nightmares with hosting kids birthday parties to make extra money from having the pool.
    Mom "LOVED" those.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Are those car riding seconds or Dong riding seconds?

:D

BigBird likes this.
  5. joec

joec brace yourself

Fuck that.. How are the transitions and what's the coping like?

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, but it probably comes with strangers' urine, right? :D

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

Don't think this holds true any longer. Outside of the deck materials being in high demand since Covid, pools are also. All the pool companies were booked for the entire summer, and for anyone to even do maintenance outside of their contracted customers was about a week to 2-week lead time minimum. That's why we did most everything ourselves.

Even PVC pieces that are typical of pools were sold out at many box improvement stores. I had to visit 4 of them, all in a different direction and up to 30 mins away, to get all the fittings I needed. The local Leslie pool supply said this has been their best year ever, and the towns saw a dramatic increase in new pool permits.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

coping is fine for the most part. needs some paint. The pool deck has some cracked concrete, but that's next year's project.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  9. StaccatoFan

One year is not a trend.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

for sure, but telecommuting to the masses became a thing, so why not pool ownership for those staying home.

11. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

One thing I've always wondered - why aren't pool lights low voltage? It seems like a battery powered car headlight with a trickle charger would eliminate the electrocution danger.

12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

In addition to your comment being unsolicited, it's full of errors and assumptions, with a value estimation from South Africa as a bonus. Well done.

beac83 and BigBird like this.
  13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I'm outside of Philadelphia and wouldn't live here without my pool. Gets sun all day long (me and my neighbor cut down all the trees in our backyards) and never use a heater (although I've got two beefy propane tanks if ever needed). Plus, the majority of the time the only piss in the pool is mine or someone who lives in my house.

@BigBird - I wouldn't spend too much time shocking before you close. Unless you know what you're doing, you're going to open up to a pond in the springtime anyways so I'd save that chlorine for April.

BigBird likes this.
  14. StaccatoFan

I'll let you know when I start caring at all about ANYTHING you say.....start holding your breath....GO!

auminer likes this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

It is a pretty shaded area of the yard...I did buy a chainsaw....If I do cut some trees, I'll make sure to take videos [emoji54]

~sent from mobile

Yzasserina likes this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

right... meanwhile an existing pool is worth 10-30,000 premium over same house without. Even rehabbing is cheaper in most cases.
    Heres a high end example... just a measly 6 figs... and yes thats a boathouse in the background [​IMG]

BigBird and tony 340 like this.
  17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Just to be clear, when I said "me and my neighbor cut down the trees", I really just signed a small piece of paper and gave it to the nice men with the large chainsaws, trucks and chippers who parked in front of my house :D

BigBird likes this.
  18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Maybe you can find some poor slobs laboring through a divorce for a welcome ear.
    But...South Africa!

BigBird likes this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

my dong's a grom. :crackup:

timed it once with the car.

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Sold my house for 35k more than the same house on my street without a pool.

Key is to sell in July or August when every housewife and kids are telling their hubby they NEED a pool.

I had 4 offers for full asking price on the 1st day I listed my house.

BigBird, beac83 and Phl218 like this.