1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The burbs, city, country...where do you live?

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Sep 4, 2020.

1. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

The weird part is the amount of land that we have in the midst of a pretty big city. You are right that the cities and areas are merging more and more into these large urban areas (that end up capturing some of the suburb/rural areas). My city has been here since 1903 and was home to a lot of heavy industry and rail business. GM had an assembly plant on the city’s north border from the 40’s on.

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'm in northern NY, 7 miles from the St. Lawrence river/Canadian border. Rural, in the middle of a thousand acres of open farm land, lots of big dairy farms around milking thousands of cows and to the other extreme, lots of Amish here too. Town I'm in has about 4000 residents, only incorporated city in the county has about 16,000, 10 minutes away. My county is big, largest east of the Mississippi and 3rd biggest in the country I believe.
    No way I can live in a city or even the 'burbs, too many people, too close.

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

That oblique airphoto must be deceptive. That doesn't look like 25 acres. A square 105o feet on a side is roughly 25 acres.

Without looking I think I know what county you are in. I don't think it could be anywhere else in the country.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They let you leave Utah?

Sabre699 likes this.
  5. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Sorry, wasn’t trying to be cryptic, forgot to say the location.

Laguna Hills, CA in Orange County. 40 miles south of Cortez and yet a completely different
    world, although most would think it’s boring down here. LA has great food, entertainment and nightlife, but I’m older now and those things would only lead to bad things for me. But like Cortez, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

6. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

20 years ago I moved out to where I am now from the small city(120k) I grew up in. I specifically moved as far out as I did(20miles) in the hopes that the trend of putting a house on every few acres wouldn't reach me. So far it's worked. :clap::cool:

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

In the country. 2 acres across the street from a lake with a bar just down the road with good food and a boat launch. 10 miles from town and an hour east of the Minneapolis airport if I want to get something in the big city. The nearest town, Menomonie, WI, has a university, 3 breweries and one of which serves great wood fired pizza.

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Nah, bro... Everything is bigger in Texas... You didn't know? LOL

I'm guessing you're referring to St. Lawrence County. 2821 total including water area barely puts it in the top 10 in Texas.

[​IMG]

9. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Officially a free man

:rock:

R Acree, BigBird and Razr like this.
  10. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

downshifting a bit. No a lot. Looking for a bluewater capable liveaboard sailboat and slpit my newly aquired retirement between wrenching in the Motoamerica paddock, riding aprilia's and criusing the gulf and beyond.
    Enough cities, houses, traffic, and corporate muck.

Boman Forklift and Wingnut like this.
  11. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Ehhh. Couldn't have been any other county -- just the town in question. My In-laws lived in LH back when I got married. I would have figured it did have >30k residents. Orange County has I think 27 or 28 municipalities, and the imprimatur of the Irvine Corp is still felt though a lot of the county.
    Largest county in Tx is a whopping 39th largest. So much for big. :Poke: :D

12. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

10 miles north of San Diego, 5 minute cycle to La Jolla Shores beach.
    100/150 meters from Interstate 5 to my back garden. Just over 1/2 acre.
    Constant sound of freeway traffic is almost like ocean waves until an 18 wheeler or bunc h of Harley's fly by.

13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Touche. ((Which, coincidentally is only one letter off from "douche". :D )

Looking into this matter, I also learned that Alaska doesn't divide itself up into counties, but rather "Census Areas" which basically serve the same sort of purpose. One of them would be the 4th largest state if it seceded!

But if that shit melted.... maaaaaybe Delaware size. ;)

15. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

The squiggly lines at the top? Kids atv/dirt bike track that i cut into the natural gas pipeline easement that rums through my property.

Side note, there are 2 pipelines there, a 42" and a 48", but i have to buy propane to heat my house and shop.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

St-Lambert, close to Champlain Bridge.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I wasn't thinking "let".:D

scottn and Razr like this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He's in Longueuil, wherever that is. He says it's full of old people. :D But he wanted to be close to work.

19. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'm right next to Longueuil. St-Lambert used to be part of it, but the rich old bags (the same ones complaining that the F1 races and heavy metal concerts make too much noise) wanted to remove themselves from the commoners lol
    Isn't your sister in Montreal ?

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Moved back to Ivory Coast three years ago. She still owns her Montréal apartment, though.