1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for advice

Discussion in 'General' started by MkImroth, Sep 1, 2020.

1. MkImroth

MkImroth Member

No fluff, just a quick intro so you guys understand who you're talking to. I want to start racing. I have a school/location chosen. I am not here to ask for financial advice, I have researched and seen plenty of that on these boards. What I am seeking is just help with ideas from other racers, current or former.

First, number plates. I have a cheap bike with no fairings. Its a 2012 kawi ninja 650 that had cosmetic damage, did not come with any fairings. I did not put money into the looks/cosmetics of this bike. Instead I chose crash protection (front axle sliders, swingarm slider/spool, frame sliders, bar end sliders, engine case protectors). With that being said I'm having a hard time figuring out how to display numbers. I understand the sizes they need to be. Should I get like 10"×12" blank plastic placards i found online and somehow mount them somewhere..where would be a good spot? Also, what do other naked bike riders do for the front plate? Do they use like a dirtbike front plate and retro fit it? Spitballing ideas here, open to suggestions!

Second, under belly pan. I was spectating at a race last weekend and noticed 2 bikes in amature class running WITHOUT lower fairings, no belly pan. I was/am confused as to how they got through tech. Anyway, the rule book states I need one. I cant find any aftermarket providers for my bike. Again, what do naked bike riders use for under belly pans?? I don't have any intention on dressing this bike up with race plastics. I can allocate those funds towards a couple races so I'm trying to be crafty with how to get this bike race prepped.

Third, safety wiring. How many of you guys safety wire your own bikes? What technique/tool do you use to spin the wire? Do you just drill a small hole through your stock bolts WHILE MOUNTED in their torqued seated position so you can properly wire them tight? ..caliper bolts, axle pinch bolts, etc. Again, looking for advice how to approach this and do it the right way!

Those are the most pressing issues that come to mind first. Not overly difficult but very important obviously. I would LOVE to go to my first race weekend september 18th and participate in the race school certification they offer the friday of that weekend and jump into my first novice race! Anyway, thanks for reading. Looking forward to getting help and joining everyone in the paddock instead of wishing and watching from the bleachers!!

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

1. White placards mounted with zip ties.

2. Turkey basting pan.

3. Actual safety wire pliers and lots of 1/16 drill bits.

beac83 and Yzasserina like this.
  3. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

First off... where are you located?
    Racing will suck every penny you can find.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Panigale-R is the answer.

Tj Hunter, j cal, BHP41 and 3 others like this.
  5. MkImroth

MkImroth Member

New Jersey

I am well aware of this. I do not have any plans of what extent I will be diving in. I just want a taste before this season comes to a close. Track days are great learning experiences but I have a competitive itch that needs to be scratched. I have put this off for far too long and I'm not getting any younger.

6. MkImroth

MkImroth Member

#2...my exhaust runs literally under the middle of my engine.

I have a feeling ill be learning the hard way why not many people race this particular model of motorcycle (everyone runs sv, rightfully so)

dtalbott likes this.
  7. Subaruzi

Subaruzi Total hack

I'd mark the bolts where you want to drill them, take them out and drill with drill press.

http://www.rc51.org/wire1.htm

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

beac83 likes this.
  8. MkImroth

MkImroth Member

Great idea, thank you. I do have access to a drill press.

9. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

There’s is a new racer section but I understand it’s not as frequently traveled...

Clean looking safety wire takes loads of practice. Wear eye protection as somebody already mentioned you will break a few or more bits. Some people prefer to remove the bolts and drill all of the sides as it sits in a clamp so it doesn’t matter where it eventually torques shut. Some bolts you can get away with drilling while still on the bike. It will start to look better after each bolt and a brand name set of safety wire pliers are your best bet. Cheap tools are guaranteed to be knuckle busters.

For novice number plates try your local sign shop for some yellow vinyl stock. It will stretch as you apply it. Sometimes you can find black mailbox numbers at the hardware store that are big enough. Or extend them with electrical tape to the right spec. Yes you can order the flat dirt bike plates, or find an old cafeteria tray. It’s amazing how much childhood arts and crafts transitions into racing so don’t be afraid to improvise.

Belly pans can yes be Turkey pans underneath just to get you by but I’ve had much better luck in the past either at bike junk yards or just shopping for salvaged pans from other bikes that can then be drilled/modified to bolt onto L brackets, again from the hardware store. Just remember anything you hodgepodge on there needs to be considered as you may hit it going down at speed. I’d plan to file down anything with sharp edges. Wind will rip off anything not secured well and so I also recommend you safety wire on newer items just to see how well they stay tight. Lock tight is also your new friend.

Hope all this helps. Most importantly...DO IT you won’t regret it!

MkImroth likes this.
  10. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I would take a weekend and hang out with a racer to see and feel how a race weekend works.
    Make sure tou have good tires with plenty of tread... and definitely make sure your brakes are ready... newer pads.

Wingnut and MkImroth like this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Make sure to have fun.

12. MkImroth

MkImroth Member

I just did one track day on brand new supercorsa TD's, so tires are ready to go. Brakes are ok at best right now. I want to move from the street biased double H sintered pads on now to dual carbon pads before getting on the grid. I have steel braided lines and good fluid.

13. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Wow. Super funny and helpful... is what I would say if that were funny and helpful.

Instead, I'm going to go with, "That was fucking stupid and not remotely clever."

dtalbott likes this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Is it true Cheerios float in piss?

15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Pick your favorite race vendor and order number plates numbers safety wire and plyers. Google Kawasaki 650 racebike and you'll find pictures of belly pans and probably a UK based forum of guys who race them. They are much more popular as race bikes in the UK

Troll ebay and the classifieds here for bodywork sometimes you get lucky and find stuff dirt cheap

MkImroth likes this.
  16. Greenhound386

A question that warrants scientific inquiry and would be easy to solve.

OP: most of your questions were covered. I'll add that for the safety-wiring, you might consider paying someone to help you or do it for you. Been a while since I have paid someone, but I think the going rate for a full race bike is ~$350. Might be less for your particular application.

Last thing you want is to get flagged at Tech and be scrambling to safety-wire extra stuff at the track. You'll have plenty of other stuff on your plate during your first race weekend! You can always learn on your own and at your own pace. You'll also be able to see how it was done 'professionally' and can use that as a reference. Your limited timeline is a factor as well.

MkImroth likes this.
  17. notbostrom

Or visit probolt.com

SuddenBraking and Greenhound386 like this.
  18. notbostrom

What brand helmet do you have and what is the date stamp on it?

MkImroth likes this.
  19. notbostrom

And don't even think about order pegs bars or levers made in China

MkImroth likes this.
  20. Greenhound386

True! That makes a good portion of it easier. Problem is, that's not going to cover everything, and a diligent Tech Inspector is gonna find an issue somewhere. For my first race / race bike build, I happily paid someone to make sure it was done right the first time, and I never had an issue. I learned how to do it myself on future builds and when the learning curve flattened out for figuring out how a race weekend operated.

MkImroth and notbostrom like this.