Durango vs Explorer vs Blazer

Discussion in 'General' started by Motofun352, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

OK, I'll admit I hate buying cars. I'm giving my '15 Explorer to the daughter and so the wife needs a new (or slightly used) car. She wants it to handle a minimum of 5 people (6 would be better) and doesn't give a rats ass about performance (neither do I for a family car). All the mentioned cars are so nearly alike as to be indistinguishable from each other. The cost is also just about equal, though the Chevy was new so it was 12 grand more than the 2018 used others I was looking at. My wants are simple, naturally aspirated, AWD with a regular (non CVT) transmission. Has the BEEB got any advice?

PS I checked out the Toyotas and they want a 6 grand premium to slap that stupid insignia on the hood...F them.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Honda Pilot.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Budget? New or used?

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

New or lightly used (<30k miles). The Hondas are CVT transmissions, I've had my fill of those.

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Toyota.

Buy once. Cry once.

969, sdg and britx303 like this.
  6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Not to thread jack, but what’s the issue with the CVT’s?

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Say no to anything GM.

Tj Hunter, 969 and sdg like this.
  8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

When I bought my 2000 Tacoma new........that was me:crackup: The prices on the new ones are gut wrenching!

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

2019 Pilots do not have CVT transmissions

Tj Hunter, BigBird and ducnut like this.
  10. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I drove a Durango as a rental....it suck's donkey balls after they've t-bag'd DaveK.

A friend of mine bought a brand new top of the line Durango and sold it like 4 months after she got it it sucked so bad.

FAUCK THOSE Things.

VW Atlas - I had one of those for 27K miles. Loved it with the exception of three things....the auto shut-0ff feature which is on practically every new car now a days, the adaptive cruise control and the lane keeping assist.

The auto-shut off is a pain due to the fact I'm in and out of my car about 12-15 times per day and you have to turn it off every single time you get in the car.

The lane keeping assist is fucking dangerous. Was driving down the road and there is a turn to the right, not a 90 degree turn, but just a 45 bend......fucking car jerked me to the right like I was trying to go that way when I wasn't. Scared the poop outta me.

The adaptive cruise control, even though I had the distance set to minimum, it would pick up a car way the hell ahead of me and start slowing me down. I normally run 13-15mph over on the interstate and I wouldn't realize what the hell had happened for a few miles. Then you have to speed up and get back to cruising speed. Also, if a car pulls over in front of you, it will slam on the brakes. Again, fucking dangerous.

With all that said, you can get a more base model that doesn't have the "Technology" package to avoid all the driving aids. The auto shut off, is again, on practically everything now.

11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

The thing nobody ever asks....how long do you keep vehicles?
    If you buy new and sell after a couple years a Chrysler is a choice. If you like reliability [obviously not since you seem to hate toyota] then chrysler is not a choice.
    Blazer is the better looking one of the 3.
    If you get a ford don't get the crappy 4 cylinder ecoboost, that motor sucks.

evakat likes this.
  12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I have a 2013 V6 Durango for the wife and we are really happy with it. Bought it new and just turned over 100k miles on it. Only replaced the brakes once, about 3 months ago plugs once at just under 100k miles since I had it open for something else, fluid flushes (brake, trans, rear diff, etc) and oil changes for routine maintenance.

Outside of routine maintenance I've replaced a seatbelt sensor, oil pressure sensor, and timing chain cover gasket.

It has been a great trouble free vehicle and it tows extremely well. Before I bought my Ram I used it to tow a 3800 lb classic car on an open uhaul trailer and it never skipped a beat, same with my 7x12 enclosed trailer. It can seat 8, and storage is nice with the fold down seats.

cav115 likes this.
  13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Seriously, this needed another post. The 2.0/9speed auto ford combo sucks ballz

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Dodge: verb. To Avoid ------Nuff said.

Ford "they dont call them Exploder" for nuthin' Explorer.

Guess whats left....:D

cav115 likes this.
  15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

For those of us that never allow Firestone tyres or fat chicks on/in our Explorer, there was never an issue.

And my '96 Explorer w/ 5.0 V8 and about 1/2-million miles on it ~still~ doesn't burn much oil.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you can open up to a turbo 4, Mazda CX9.

Under priced for what you get and if you pay full retail for it, you must have had brain damage.

Tj Hunter, black knight and BigBird like this.
  17. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Just bought my mom a Mazda CX-5 new for about 25K. Will fit 5 comfortably. Good warranty and fuel economy. Give them a look. Granted, it isn’t AWD, but give them a look.

black knight and BigBird like this.
  18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The CX-5 is AWD or certainly most of them are made that way.

19. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Another vote to check out the CX-5. I just inherited a 2016 Grand Touring model and I love this thing. It has a sport button and can chirp second with AWD. It also handles really well and all the tech on it works great,,lane assist etc...

BigBird likes this.
  20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

CX-5s are hot little cars. They're easily in the top three of my top ten car replacement list. (The other two in the top three are Porsches.)
    AWD, 2.5 turbo and red. There's no describing the red, pics don't do it justice, and I would never get red on any other vehicle. It's not big, but it does seat 5.

BigBird likes this.