New Rider Bike Suggestion

Discussion in 'General' started by UGAR-6, Aug 10, 2020.

?

Which Bike For New Rider?

1. 2007 ZX14 with extended swing arm: 15,500 miles

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. 2016 FZ6R with 15,200 miles

31 vote(s)
    79.5%
  1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

ZX14 all day. She'll outgrow the FZ6 and the 14 will give respect for the throttle and with that swingarm it'll steer like a dump truck loaded full of wet shingles.

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

They really only need a 1990 front end with the 17" to be better'er for track. Otherwise,I flogged the hell out of mine as my last streetbike,and it never missed a beat. That was my bike I was on that the texter slammed into me a couple years ago. Totalled the chickenhawk unfortunately. I really did prefer that bike over my ex250 for street. I hear ya about scrapping stuff too............I just took 2 pickup truck loads of ex250 and 500 frames/forks/engines/parts etc. to a scrapper last month. Figured nobody wants these anymore..............

YoshiHNS likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

How big is this girl? Which one can she pick up by herself after she drops it? If neither, she needs to expand her choices 'til she can handle it herself.

Personally, I'd throw her on a dirtbike. Maybe get a street legal version and take off the lights and mirrors. If she can ride in the dirt, she can ride anything. Put the lights and mirrors back on and then let her learn about all the idiots on the street who would much rather pretend she didn't exist when they turn left in front of her.

Dirt or street, she's gonna fall either way...think about that. A beginner who hasn't learned the nuances of bike control on a bike capable of hitting 60mph in mere seconds isn't a rider, they're a passenger on a murdering machine.

Sucks for beginners to hear it but, no, you don't know what you're talking about just because your friends say that they know. If they were truly your friends, they'd think about it, too.

The real questions are, do you want to learn to ride or do you just wanna look cool?
    One answer is likely to have you looking as cool as a slab of meat on a tray.

Yzasserina and Pride & Joy like this.
  4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Turbo Busa.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Why the hell has no one suggested a Gold Wing yet?

Give the gal a little comfort, and cupholders to boot!

DmanSlam likes this.
  6. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I saw a guy riding a new Goldwing yesterday. I was a little jealous. I'm getting old.

Sabre699 likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

better yet...the ST1100 that @YoshiHNS posted

8. Pride & Joy

Pride & Joy Well-Known Member

Which one "fits" her best, which is she most comfortable sitting on/reaching the controls/feet touching the ground/balancing, etc.? As mentioned above, can she pick it up if she drops it? Once she objectively evaluates those characteristics, then it might be possible to encourage her to look at other options. I hate to hear that she's in the "I gotta have one or the other" mode. There are tons of really good motorcycles out there that would prove more enjoyable for her.

I have a ZX14, and I think it is a great motorcycle. It's set up for sport touring with soft luggage, sport tires, etc. It is comfortable for long rides and very capable at a street pace. However, I would not recommend it for a first bike - especially with a long arm. My first street bike was an '83 Honda 1100F, so it is possible for people to "learn" on a big, powerful motorcycle and survive and enjoy the journey.

Bottom line: There are so many better options for her.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Would I be correct to assume you were a dirt rider before that?

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Which idiots voted ZX-14? Sometimes, stupid games aren't funny.

11. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Vmax, man I wanted one. Dealer wouldn't let me test drive it. I showed up on Yamaha 180cc scooter.
    Let me test drive an 82 Virago 920, so I bought it. I think the digital display sold me on the Virago :)

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

I didn’t actually cast a vote but I recommended the ZX14 only if a couple of conditions were met.

13. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

At least you didnt recommend a harley.................:D

14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

[​IMG]

Figured if she's really thinking about getting a fucking ZX14 as her first bike me voting in a stupid online poll is probably the least of her problems :rolleyes:

tl1098, DmanSlam, zamboiv and 4 others like this.
  15. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

:stupid:

DmanSlam likes this.
  16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Tell her to get back in the kitchen. It's really the safest decision. Silly women. :D

Sabre699 and TurboBlew like this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

Sadly, it wasn’t one of her final options. But I’m a little disappointed that there wasn’t at least ten SV650 recommendations. LOL

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He clearly is much better motorcycle dealer than the one let me buy one as my first bike. How I survived that thing is still a total mystery.

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

My dealer made me bring in an unwilling parent to sign the paperwork but it was a ploy to talk me into an FZ600 vs the latest Honda Hurricane and I wasnt 18. I totaled the bike a few months later... then bought a leftover GPz turbo with the insurance check...without an adult signature. Just in time for summer too!! :)

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

The last girl that asked about getting a ZX 14 for a first bike...
    [​IMG]

cav115 likes this.