1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you dry and flake peppers?

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I've got a Tabasco pepper plant almost ready to harvest. I want to dry and flake them so I can use them when needed. Never done it. Oven/food processor?

Thanks.

2. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

06E5A033-6C6F-450A-8314-0A6706D64152.jpeg

Wingnut and R1M370 like this.
  3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Not worth the trouble. Just make hot sauce instead.......

4. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

And we know Cheech has one of those laying around.

R1M370 likes this.
  5. SuddenBraking

But yeah, if you want to go that route just use a dehydrator or your oven and get them bone ass dry.

6. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Ok see, I'm not spending money on some new fangled gizmo, and I don't want sauce. Just curious if putting them in the oven and running through a food processor would work. How long does it take to dry them?

7. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

a few ways to dry - put them on a sheet tray on a wire rack and let them dry in a dry sunny spot, put them in an oven on the lowest possible setting and dry them out that way, or use a dehydrator. I prefer the first method.

To crush them up, I typically use my food processor. Just keep pulsing it quickly until you get the grind you want. The seeds will break out before the skins are all broken up. If I have a large batch I try and separate them part way through processing so they don't get too broken up. I've tried using an old coffee grinder that I use to grind spices and it doesn't handle the skin very well.

I'm just starting to get peppers ripening on my plants. So far I've got about a gallon of them. I should end up with somewhere around 10 gallons of peppers that I'll mainly make hot sauce with but dry and crush some too.

Metalhead likes this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If you don't have a dehydrator check the Goodwill store before you buy one. A lot of people
    buy them, use them one or two times and then they collect dust so they take them to Goodwill
    or someplace similar. I found one for $5 there.

Sabre699, joec and Metalhead like this.
  9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Cool. Sounds like a plan.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

i dry my hops in the oven on the "keep warm" setting

making sure to flip them over every now and then.

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Mmmmmhmmmmm.... At least you're being straight with us about what taxonomy family the plant matter that you're drying belongs to... :Poke:

12. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

The taxonomy family of plant you are referring to should never be dried in an Oven :Poke::D

13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I have a thai chili plant hanging right now to make dust out of. I dry them for a ling ass time. Maybe 6 months or more. Then just put them in a coffee grinder and do it to it. Make sure to enjoy the aroma when you transfer from the grinder to a jar. Breathe deep.

Metalhead likes this.
  14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I saw that. Got those too. Air dry for a week in the shop and then put in mason jars. They get shaken and opened once a day for an hour to cure. Then ENJOY!

:Poke:

motoracer1100 likes this.
  15. SuddenBraking

Dry in brown paper bags before mason jars.

Metalhead likes this.
  16. Phl218

Phl218 .

for real, i have tettnang hops, they are best dried at 80C for 2 h

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

when i was younger, there was a myth going around to bury the buds in a bag for a while to have them grow mold on them , which should intensify them.

never tried it, but maybe that's what Richie is shooting for.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sweet, let's see who can out beer snob the other.

19. SuddenBraking

Your friends confused cannabis with mushrooms :Poke:

Hang dry until the outside is crispy/flaky, then put into brown paper bags. The water pressure will normalize after about a week (burping daily). Then put into mason jars and burp daily for the first week, then weekly after that. After three months of curing:

[​IMG]

RightSideUp likes this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .

i'm brewing with DME and not full grain, so my starting position sucks when it comes to snobriety ...