1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha GTS1000 thing with front SSSA

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Christian157

Christian157 Well-Known Member

I have one. It was way over priced when brought to the US in 93. never sold well because of the price. Because of the front end you can trail brake it deep into a curve without the front end diving. Definitely change the stock front tire from the stock 130 to a 120 and it transforms the handling. It gets attention when I ride mine. Was one of the first bikes with fuel injection and abs in 1993. If you can pick one up for 3500 or less and it’s in good condition you should have no problem flipping it. The saddle bags for it are rare( Krauser) A number of them have been modified with sidecar kits as well. Taller windscreen and a Corbin saddle will make it more comfortable.

stk0308 and rd400racer like this.
  2. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I see one occasionally here in Mt Dora, FL. It's his daily rider. Otherwise, haven't seen one since new I don't think? Can't imagine they'll go down in value.

vizsladog likes this.
  3. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Interesting bike I wouldn't turn one down for the right price, but I wouldn't go looking for one unless it was some kind of customized project ELF replica GP or something?
    It was never intended to be a sport bike, more of a sport tour bike it's certainly (not slow) powered with an FZR1000 motor. A 1989 FZR1000 was capable of 170 MPH ,verifiable . Mine was capable of a 10.20 1/4 mile....and the damn thing weighed 400+ lbs! It was the first bike I ever owned where I could leave 40 feet of rubber at will from just twisting the throttle. Hopped on that straight from years of RZ350s to that bike.
    The 1989 FZR1000 has long considered the "bike of the decade".

I read an article about the GT1000 handling how it was not ideal but, I also read an article from the designer of that suspension.
    I believe Yamaha purchased /acquired ? the idea from him or design something thereof and then they changed the geometry , from his specifications which kind of f***** it up. If I recall there is one or two of them that raced the IOM as well.

I specifically remember reading his complaints about how corporate screwed it all up , he explained exactlywhat they did and to fix it.
    I don't think it's a bad bike, but it's certainly not optimal.
    I would certainly get one if it was available for a great price like (free)!
    I doubt that will happen any more than I can find a 76-78 rd400 cheap...lol

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Wesley Snipes crashed one, so it’s got street cred.

5. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

We had one that sat unsold new for 2 years on the floor. It was a giant beast and not in a good way.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If I remember right the seat height was actually reasonable. You didn't need an inseam of 36" to touch the ground.

7. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Somebody used to race those things .. Airtech has bodywork for it

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, I was trying to remember who it was.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Brian Catterson of Cycle World raced one in Formula Extreme/AMA Pro in the 90s. It was nick named the whale something

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

The prototype looked so cool, and everyone said hell yes Yamaha please build a FZR750/1000 sportbike with this technology. Yamaha gave us the sport touring GTS1000 and we said WTF

[​IMG]

evakat and stk0308 like this.
  11. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

It was raced to an eighth place and 94 and 1/6 place in 1996 at the Isle of Man. Beaten only by RC45s and the likes of Joey Dunlop.
    There's potential....
    But then again it was Steve Lindsell riding so probably more down to the talent of the rider.
    Any guy that can win races at the Isle of Man on a Royal Enfield and in FJ600 has got some skill, anybody that can go around that race course without dying..
    has skill

stk0308 and motoracer1100 like this.
  12. Shamu! Cruz, Catterson, and Welch.

Over Racing built a cool one.

stk0308 likes this.
  13. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I don't think James Parker ever forgave Yamaha for what they did to his R.A.D.D. tech. lol

ducnut likes this.
  14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

we're still talking about it and RB's probably already out shopping for something completely different...

15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

LOL actually reading and learning. I mean, if it goes cheap, I will absolutely scoop it up.

On that note, Nada is the only real value guide I have and they say average clean can be anywhere from $5k-$8k That seems CRAZY to me....

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

NADA has always seemed way off to me, when I buy I look at KBB and try to get as close to "trade in" price as possible. Old oddball stuff like this- no guide is probably going to help.

17. Robby-Bobby

I've always followed Nada and steered me way closer and better than KBB ever has. In fact majority of lenders use Nada from my experience.

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Huh? IMHO a bike that is heavy, ugly, and not a great handler and that old is a 2500-3500k bike. Maybe, just maybe if perfect with 100 miles or less then maybe 5k

19. Robby-Bobby

I would absolutely agree

20. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

Since I've been collecting funny front ends I've been watching the GTS1000 for a while. They're interesting bikes but in general go for pretty cheap. I've seen really great examples go for $3500.