So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Let me know if you find any that worth a crap and with minimal modification. Have you seen the ones by TST industries? They sell the relay as well. I don’t mind splicing the oem plug ends onto a decent signal. TST also sells the little plastic backing plates needed for the oem fit into the fairing. If you do a tail tidy those won’t be needed.

2. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

Will do. I did get the T7Rally tail tidy. It's a lot of work and uses half of the stock tail. Not sure I'd do that again.

3. roy826ex

I looked at that one but I think I’m going with the Camel ADV one. Minimal work and no cutting of stock parts.

duggram likes this.
  4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

FYI - if the T7 Tenere is as hard find as indicated, there’s one listed on ADV rider with 914 miles on it for $10k.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tenere-700-blue-914-miles-southeast-il-10-000.1456003/

I copied the listing as I know not everyone can access ADV. Actually, just realized it’s 20 minutes from me in Robinson.

I’m selling my T7.
    Blue. $10,000. 914 miles.
    No trades. PM me on here or reply to this thread.
    Yamaha motor finance has the lean on it.

Im located in Robinson IL 62454

This is the only place it is advertised right now.

It is great for what it is but it’s not for me.

It has Dunlop 606 front and a Dunlop 908r rear with about 500 miles. Still have original tires too.
    AXP skid plate.
    Yamaha chain guide.
    Camel ADV display brace.
    Hardwired mount for Montana gps.
    Adventure Spec rack and side plate racks

roy826ex likes this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Waiting to see the KTM guys post up “You shoulda’ bought a 790.”. :D

I wouldn’t mind riding down there, just to see and ride it.

6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Thought I already did...
    :D:D

Seriously though, after putting a couple thousand miles on the KTM, I find it hard to believe the 700 will be comparable. JMO

ducnut likes this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It’s hard to put anything against a KTM, in most all their segments. They simply build serious stuff, without many performance compromises. I’d be on a 1090, if they had cruise control, as that was the deciding factor, that day on the showroom floor.

83BSA likes this.
  8. roy826ex

T7 is good!

or this guy on one

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    ducnut likes this.
  9. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Kentucky Adventure tour has been pretty good. Been riding 150-200 miles the past few days. Some epic sections on a bigger bike. Good times. Started in Jellico and riding clockwise. Up around Winchester now (off route but places around Slade were 52B83FFF-E1F3-49BD-AF76-1533621DF63B.jpeg 726F579E-D8AB-4932-8244-19DDDD560691.jpeg 9A38BC44-F4A5-4381-8E7D-7777D344719E.jpeg booked and of course we wanted good food). Did hard 5, 2 and 1 as well as part of 3. Headed back towards the cars today but will hit some more trails on the way.

Will post some photos when we get back.

stk0308, malamute, rd400racer and 4 others like this.
  10. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Doing Jeep things in Colorado - this pic is engineer pass between ouray and lake city - a little
    Over 13ft
    I hit Imogene pass early this am . Looking at a 300 mile ride home once I finish the fatty boom batty elk burger I’m
    Inhaling .

Attached Files:

stk0308, malamute, ducnut and 2 others like this.
  11. roy826ex

head down Black Bear pass :D

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Nice! I was actually in Jellico yesterday picking up another ADV bike:D

gt#179 and turner38 like this.
  13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ok - Tell me about the KTM 990 SMT please. The good, the bad, the ugly.

14. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Lol I know better - did Imogene and engineer today - I’m sore as hell . That bike gets a little heavy to pick up at 12k feet lol I huffed and puffed for 5 mins trying to get it back upright after a tip over right near the summit

roy826ex and turner38 like this.
  15. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Finished up the western side of the KAT with a few friends Sunday. Rode from Jellico up to Slade and a bit beyond over 4 days. Most days were 150-200 miles a day (including riding to and from hotels and food). Rode Hard 5, Hard 2, Hard 1 and Hard 11 as well as part of Hard 3 around S-tree. Gotta say, Hard 5 kicked my ass on the 950. Only really fell down once but it was a struggle getting over and thru some of the stuff on there. One big tree crossing took us about 20 minutes with the 950 (walked my friends 350 over it in about 2 minutes). But some fun river/creek crossings, and just some really fun stuff. Oh yeah and some HUGE freakin' mud holes. Drowned one of the 950's and had to do a trailside oil change and had to fish the 350 out of one or two (beginner rider friend with us).

Main loop would be a blast on a 500-1090 size bike. a few challenging spots to make it fun but overall not too bad. Some of the "hard" sections had some hard stuff. Mainly Hard 5. Didn't try 4 as we were running out of time, and only ran part of 3 so can't comment on the others.

Last year we did Jellico to Williamson WV on the eastern side on the 950's and again, pretty simple and did a couple of the hard sections. Still need to finish off the loop, might hit the rest this fall.

Hard 11 hill climb right at the end. Loose baby heads at the bottom, the top wasn't too bad.

[​IMG]

turner38 and malamute like this.
  16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I’ve been thinking about taking a few days and doing it here in the next couple of weeks. Or maybe just a weekend and hit some of the better parts.

Also been thinking about going to Windrock or Highland park and riding some of the dirt bike trails there. Anybody been there on a mid to big ADV bike?

17. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Never been to those but wildcat would be alright on an adv bike. Kinda boring for real dirt bikes since its almost all side by side trails though.

18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I ride at Highland park every so often on my 950. I've raced the hare scrambles there a few times as well (Paul will have an ADV class for 650+ street legal bikes sometimes) but haven't done that in a few years.

Most of the 2 and 3 diamond trails are OK on the big bike, just be wary of a few of the tighter ones. it's not hard but it just sucks riding a few miles of pine trees only handlebar width apart. :)

there are a few of the 4 diamond trails that are fun if you have eaten your wheaties for breakfast.

I'm good on my 950 till about 1-2pm, then it's wore me out from muscling the bike around for the day.

turner38 likes this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

20. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

Last fall I was leading my group of about 12 riders and dropped of the ledge leading into the steps on BB. There was a 4Runner stopped in the middle of the trail but I thought there was enough room on it's right next to the wall. I tried to slow down and of course went down on the scree spread over the hardrock surface. I slid sideways under the 4Runner. The rest of my group caught on and waited for the cage to move. No one could slow down there. I've been down BB maybe 10 times and this was my first trouble. One advantage of living in New Mexico is you're close to the San Juans.

roy826ex likes this.