1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rotator cuff help

Discussion in 'General' started by motoboy, Jun 26, 2020.

1. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I have bicep tendinitis and rotator cuff tendinitis (and my NP suspects it's torn too). I am doing the exercises, taking the anti-inflammatory and had the shot. That helped a little. I no longer weep silently for three minutes after pulling the recliner handle. But I am having serious difficulty sleeping.

I really need about 6 positions at night to sleep well, but only 2 allow any amount of comfort. See the attachment. That's me tossing and turning all night. I ordered a special pillow, but it was useless. Any ideas for a good night's sleep? Barring barbituates?

Screenshot_20200626-083240_Samsung Health.jpg

2. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I feel your pain (literally). I have torn tendons in both shoulders but haven't opted for the surgery yet due to hearing mixed outcomes. I've been taking a low dose of Celebrex, which has helped ease the joint pain. I was taking far too many vitamin A's (Aleve) to get through the night, and switched based on my DR's recommendation. The next step is a new mattress, then surgury.

motoboy likes this.
  3. motoboy

I'm on meloxicam, but not really convinced it's doing anything. I'll ask about Celebrix.

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I have a permanent full thickness RC tear in my right shoulder. I went against standard recommendation and slept directly on my right side since the tear in early 2017. My thought was to relieve the pulling on other tendons through the night by compressing it altogether. Took a few months, but the shoulder feels 95% of what it was so I’m happy. Now I’ve got bursitis or a tear in the left:mad:. I bought a small TENS machine and put it on for 20-30 minutes before bed time. That helps get to sleep.

motoboy likes this.
  5. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

What anti inflammatory are you taking?

I’m in 15mg of meloxicam per day for a knee that sucks from time to time. It’s pretty good stuff

motoboy likes this.
  6. britx303

No meds for me. Just plenty of vitamin c, beet root, St. John’s wort and glucosamine/chondroitin for tendon health

Crispietofu likes this.
  7. britx303

And seriously do good stretches as well as passive hanging. It does actually work

Gino230 and motoboy like this.
  8. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

When you guys finally get tired of dicking around with a bum rotator cuff hit me up. I have your answer. We have the #1 surgeon for this at Duke. She did my wife’s surgery and it turned out perfectly.

9. britx303

What is that surgeons opinion on reattachment and continuing powerlifting post surgery? I’ve had 2 surgeons say if I was just going to keep doing it, then I was in the category of high % re-tear. 1 surgeon is from Hopkins and the other is Navy. Not sure at this point I’d even touch my right shoulder surgically but my left is driving me nuts between either bursitis,impingement or tear. I gave up on going back to the doctors,but if yours can help........

10. britx303

Okay I asked wrong after reading my last post, sorry Stan. Did your doctor mention % of tearing again between active and inactive people? Not insinuating inactivity on your part, please don’t take it that way. However,I’m assuming the surgeon may have discussed Re injury etc. based on all groups as a sort of FYI for the patient.

11. StanTheMan

I work in anesthesia but I do many of her patient’s Pre-anesthesia surgical work ups. My wife tore her right rotator cuff so Dr. Toth fixed it. Turned out perfectly. About a year later my wife fell down some stairs in the dark and tore her left one. Again, Dr. Toth perfectly fixed it. Whenever you want to cut through the BS at Duke (in terms of surgeons) just ask, “who does the surgeries on the basketball players”? Most of the men’s team will be instant millionaires when they turn pro, so they don’t screw around when it comes to choosing a surgeon, given that there are millions of dollars on the line here in future income. She is the official team doctor for the basketball team. I can’t reveal names due to HIPPA regulations but the list of A-list athletes I’ve spoken to doing their work ups would make your head spin. Google Dr. Allison Toth.

britx303 likes this.
  12. britx303

Cool thanks! One of my surgeons handles NFL and MLB, so I definitely appreciate that caliber of surgeon.

13. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Stan TheMan, you may have an answer that I’ve been looking for. I wrestled for the good school in North Carolina and had a knee operation at Duke. Apparently the first time I woke up, I wanted to go out for pizza and all hell broke lose, I do not remember any of this. I think the put me back under and let me wake up on the next shift. All went well the second time. My question is how long will I be banished from Duke, it’s been 40 years.

14. StanTheMan

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're good.

15. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

I had 2 repairs, actually 1 repair and a revision when the first repair tore after about 2 months. I found sleeping on my sofa on my side with the injured arm toward the ceiling and pillows adjusted to take the weight works. Pillows around your hip area. This was right after surgery. If I am unclear let me know and I'll post a pic.

take care

edit; Put your back to the back of your sofa so that you're on your side

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    motoboy likes this.
  16. Waiting on my AC year to get rescheduled. I made a foam support pillow for my arm using dirtbike seat foam and covered it.

motoboy likes this.
  17. motoboy

That's some Red Green shit right there! :clap:

I'd love the MedCline pillow, but my credit ain't so good.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That's the only way I could get any sleep also. I made a mound of 4-5 pillows on the couch, sitting upright, then just lean to the left into the pile of pillows. I think having the back of the couch and the pillows there kind of locked me into place. I had RC repair, Labral (Labrum) tear repair, and some work on the bicep. I was off of work for 8 months, that was 15 months ago, and I'm doing great. I have a lot of confidence in the doctor.

19. David-imoddavid

Wasn't PT loads of fun?;)

Razr likes this.
  20. David-imoddavid

Hey moto, how'd you sleep last night?