1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Haven't thrown a leg over a bike, aside from puttin around after the kids one time at the farm.

Been spending my time doing something much better...

15890748340372.jpg 15890748170451.jpg 15890747671780.jpg

I'm to the point where I'd rather watch him ride than even roll mine out of the garage.

Dan Dubeau, Senna, Sabre699 and 5 others like this.
  2. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

damn i envy you who have a place to ride. illinois is not a place you can load up and go ride any where near. my dirt riders club lost the only place close.100 miles in any direction to a rideing place, except for a place where the jeeps and trucks have destroyed the whole place .

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Decent price for a good bike. It is older, but if the hours are low then it's probably pretty solid. Anything less than 100 hours is good on those, 150 might be looking at replacing a piston and removing valves for inspection, depending on how hard it was ridden. I have talked with folks about 300+ hours and still running when they are fast trail ridden (not raced).

I would offer $4k and pay $4200 for that bike around me. Around here $4500 for that year better have some good parts.

And if you are looking at Dual Sport with it, you might want to have the stator rewound as I think that the non-EXC (like the XC and XCW) have lower output stators with as they don't come with light provisions.

4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t pay more than $3k for a 250 xcw unless it’s a creampuff with lots of bling. The 4 strokes just dint hold their value that well.

5. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Apparently the bike just turned over 100 hours and with it being completely stock I think I'm going to pass for now. I thought 4500 seemed a little high, but thanks for confirming it. The hunt continues.

6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Where do you guys shop for gear? I have a friend who just built a tight 1-mile dirt course on his property. It's perfect for something like an XR100/TTR125. I'm trying to price out some gear and see if doing both track and dirt is viable this season.

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

How big is his property and do you have any pics of it?

8. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

East Fork! Wish I could be there today with my boy for training but work is in the way.

9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

No pics, but it's small. Picture you average karting track, but on dirt. I briefly rode a KLX140 on it and that even felt a little big.

10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Find a Cycle Gear and get the cheapest gear that fits. Once you decide to buy more gear after trashing that set, you will know what works and what doesn't. Since it's a small bike track, use street boots, but invest in knee and elbow protection and good gloves. The pants and jersey can be anything that fits once you get knee and elbows covered. But cheap first. Try RMATV as well as they are probably having one of their continuous sales.

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

What class is he riding?

In the last few days, my guy has let it slip that he may not be that in to riding. I'm hoping he'll reconsider, but it was truly a devastating blow.

Senna likes this.
  12. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

rocky mountain atv and mc start with the clearance stuff. Ski

masshole and Senna like this.
  13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I think they have conversion therapy camps for that sort of thing.

DmanSlam, R1Racer99 and SuddenBraking like this.
  14. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Sorry Foo, maybe see if a few kids in his age group, friends, family etc... might be interest in going with you guys. might give him motivation to keep having fun on bikes, and to make new friends, or expand current friendships. once i went to the tracks and met kids my age that had the same interest, i made life long friends with some, looked forward to my track friends/family visits.

racing was always racing but, after the track went cold, we all had fun, around the pond, fire, campsites. good times. Ski

DmanSlam and Senna like this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

How old is he?

Santa got Ty a CRF50 for Christmas when he was 5. He rode my buddies PW50 and loved it but when going out with the CRF50 he was a bit intimidated by the bigger 4 stroke. I remember getting all loaded up and going out with my dad to take Tyler riding. We got there and got ready and Tyler was on the bike and I noticed he had a tear roll down his face, so I said no problem lets pack it up and try again another day. My dad, said he was really happy I didn't get mad at Tyler, since my dad was out there all the way from Illinois, I just said no big deal, we can do it another time.

Anyway we didn't even go out for a year or two and then gradually went out and he got confidence, then we upgraded to a KX65 which he loved, and then he broke his wrist on the KX hitting a jump he didn't see on some trails, but by then he was hooked.

A little later we discovered pocketbikes when going to an AMA race at Fontana, he was 10-11 by then, and wanted to race pocketbikes on asphalt. I was actually building him a kids kart, but it was taking too long, and he said I don't want to race karts I want to race these pocketbikes.

Senna, twodocs and DmanSlam like this.
  16. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I have a mile of trails on my property, just got one of the kids a DRZ125 to ride, perfect bike for it, the other is on a PW80

Senna likes this.
  17. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I know I'm quoting an old post (circa 2015) but this is spot on, price-wise. And 2 strokes are super-easy to work on.

18. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Yz250 all day.

t500racer and DmanSlam like this.
  19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Picked up a 450FX awhile back. Fun ass bike. Fuel injection and electric start are a beautiful thing.

E Reed likes this.
  20. hippiedreads

hippiedreads Active Member

Just picked up an old steel frame yz250 for trail riding and boy let me tell you... don't ride behind me, my throttle hand needs some work lmfao but god damn is it fun breaking that back end loose!

DmanSlam likes this.