Mark151 to courtesy phone - knife sharpening advice.

Discussion in 'General' started by zamboiv, May 4, 2020.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

He probably wears a fancy fur coat as well. :D

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Don’t play it off as if you don’t make mirepoix from time to time as well. :D

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do. It's onions, carrots, celery. Ain't nothing fancy but the name :D

cpettit likes this.
  4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

But...the ratios, man. The ratios!

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Whatever looks good based on what quantities I have in the house with a tendency to go more onions than I'm supposed to :D

Granted I do nothing but sweet onions so it works.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Exactly. :D

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

I do a hybrid. Onion, celery, carrot, pepper. Holy quaternary :confused:

8. dsapsis

Classic mirepoix is 2:1:1 (onion first) so Mongo is not only gifted, he is classic.

Garth -- that fancy word doesn't mean what you think it means. You ever take any geology or was that too elitist? :)

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh don’t be fooled, Mongo knew the ratio. He’s trying to down play his fanciness. LOL

:crackup:No, not too elitist. :D LOL. I love geology. It’s still a variant(?) of four, so I went with it because it sounded good because it ended in the letter “y”. Trinity. Quaternary. It’s four layers of chopped veggies. LOL.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh I know the proper ratio, I just tend to go to a 3:1:1 or even a 4:1:1 depending on how many onions I have to go through before they start growing :crackup:

11. dsapsis

You buy sweet onions by the ten pound bag too, I see...

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sadly no :( 3-4 at a time. I only run into issues during the summer when the humidity here kicks up and we're on the road more. one week at home being a little too lazy to cook and I'll have to pitch an onion or two eventually. Run into the same issue with spuds.

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

By sweet onion do you mean Vidalia?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If available yes but they're not a year round thing.

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

It's like Champagne. Vidalias grow in a very specific area around Vidalia Georgia. There are all kinds of rules as to what can be called a Vidalia. Grow them just outside of the area and they're sweet onions.

Visit the Vidalia Onion Museum the next time you're in the middle of nowhere SE Georgia.

Captain Morgan and G 97 like this.
  16. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Funny. France has rules like that about wine, Italy about cheese, and the states......about onions.....lol :Poke: :D.

Everytime I use a vidalia I'm singing the Sammy Kershaw tune :D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All in who gets the copyright first :D

18. dsapsis

Vidalia, Texas 1015's, Walla Walla, Maui, Osos, all kinds! Most sweet onions grown in the US are actually not from Vidalia (and either was their initial breeding), but since GA p-eaches kinda suck, I don't really want to rub it in.

<edit> California produces more sweet onions than any other state, mostly out of Imperial County (where the granex hybrid was developed).

G 97 likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I still have no idea why this is supposedly the fuzzy pitted fruit state. It's never produced the most. I think we do more pecans. South Carolina does more of that nasty fruit.

Phl218 likes this.
  20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

The Gaffney Peach is a site to behold.

Phl218 likes this.