1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mark151 to courtesy phone - knife sharpening advice.

Discussion in 'General' started by zamboiv, May 4, 2020.

1. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I figured who better than a pro-chef for advice. My grandad used a 3stone triangle system where the oil fell in a trough and my dad still has it. Unfortunately he can’t see the make anywhere on it.

online these range quite a bit in price. Is there one you recommend or any particular system you like?

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Dear God NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I'm scared to say any opinions on here anymore so laying low, seems like I open my mouth and get banned. Get a japanese 2 grit whetstone, soak in in water for 20 minutes, it can be a little tricky/ intimidating (youtube) to learn, they sell these little guard things with a certain angle you pop on then it takes the guess work out before you get the feeling or know the sound. When I sharpen my knives, I buy a big tomato, have my 2 grit whetstone, a diamond steel, give it a go, make a cut in the tomato, sharp?? Could be sharper, back to the stone, steel it, till it cuts a tomato skin with ease

G 97 and Phl218 like this.
  5. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

for an everday chefs knive go with a whetstone 1k and 4k grit. look up youtube videos on how to sharpen and done.

6. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Have you tried that the search function? :Poke::)

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/knife-sharpening.331867/

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/electric-knife-sharpeners.361862/

8. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Yes. Honestly it’s a pain because it just keeps returning all the responses of a thread. I get frustrated trying to use the search so I just figured it’d be easier and faster to reach out the way and I and I got an answer.
    Maybe it works better from a computer but the search from the phone is frustrating.

drop likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No, it's shit. I'm just giving you a hard time. I just knew what to search for.

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

There you go again. Playing favorites and being a prick for no reason. :rolleyes:

Prick

motoracer1100 likes this.
  11. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

He’s a prick to most. Maybe he needs to improve his prickness

12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

To all??

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh come on. Suck it up dude. You’re good. Don’t let it get to you, it’s all good.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah, for the most part he's always exhibited equal prick opportunity behavior. :D

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

upload_2020-5-5_13-32-44.jpeg

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Chefs don't sharpen their knives. They pay someone else to do it.

17. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Only if you have a cooking show on the food network or daytime tv and have never actually worked in a restaurant

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I worked in a restaurant (Prep and cook, sous chef). Local service sharpened all of our knives, including the chef's. Like every other restaurant...

19. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You've been to every other restaurant?

sanee likes this.
  20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yes.

Chris likes this.