Steak - your favorite cut and...........

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Aug 12, 2011.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

What do you mean tie it up?

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Use string around FB_IMG_1588354473879.jpg the perimeter of the steak to squish it in so it is nice and round. It prevents any part of the steak from cooking quicker because it sticks out from the main part, and it makes it thicker.

Sabre699 likes this.
  4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Got it! Thought you were putting it in a bag at first.

So do you remove the string before sear?

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Nope, I leave it one till its all done.

BC likes this.
  6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I'm discovering that I prefer a good pork steak to even a tbone or ribeye. Blasphemy, I know!

Lightly dribble some worcestershire, threaten it with onion powder, sprinkle some garlic powder, generous with the Montréal seasoning and then low grill for a bit longer than you would a cow cut.

Good shit, Maynard!

Steeltoe likes this.
  8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This is generally how it works. Common as hell around here being in farm country. All the local / small slaughterhouses around here want to talk to the customer about how they want it cut,packaged etc. Alot of them have their own small herd of beef and will sell from that, they all have a meat counter like a supermarket too if you want to just walk in and buy a few packages. You can usually buy the whole beef, halves or quarters. Hogs only whole or halves. Lots of people will raise a couple pigs every year and split them up between family and friends, everybody buys a half etc. If you buy a animal from a local farmer he'll deliver to the slaughterhouse, the rest is on you.

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Ribeye cut thick. Olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, garlic salt, and crushed red pepper. Jam them on the hottest you can get your grill, sear the shit out of each side for 2 minutes, cover on plate and let stand for 10.

Smack your mama shit right there.

And beer.

Sabre699 likes this.
  10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Can't. I bought it all!

Kidding aside, my god they had some pretty cuts stacked up in the cooler. I swear some of the filets were 4" thick and some ribeyes were 2".

11. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

Best use a cotton twine. Nylon could melt into the meat. Local grocery store meat usually has some on hand - just ask.

12. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I'm doing a flank steak tonight. This one has been marinating since 6pm yesterday.

Can't wait to try it!

FB_IMG_1588360925558.jpg

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

This guy gets it. That looks goo-ood.

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Been there great steakhouse!

cpettit likes this.
  15. njracer

Never made one of these yet. My sons soccer coach posted up the recipe the other night and I had to try it.

Fingers are crossed but I have a feeling it's going to be good!

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

2 1/2 " filet with Sea salt & pepper in canola oil in very hot pan, then about 3 minutes on one side to get a nice crust, add a chuck of butter, then flip it. Baste the steak with butter for about 3 minutes. Stick the pan & steak in a 450 oven with a heat probe. Take it to 130/135 then wrap it and let it rest for 8 minutes

Metalhead likes this.
  17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Dern,
    Try the Butcher in Amery, WI. Not too far for you. We got a 1/4 of a cow through family and they cut it how I wanted it, 2" thick steaks, a few roasts and the rest burger. Why have second rate steaks when you can have first rate burger? We should look into getting a cow and splitting it up between those of us that live around here. I could use some more.

As far as steak goes, it is ribeye, on the grill with some Montreal Steak seasoning. That is it! No extra prep or BS. Meat and seasoning.

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I love a good flank steak, but wtf with all the stuff on that one. Simpler is gooder. Marinade with olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice and garlic. Give it 20 min in the marinade and then onto the grill.
    The KISS method really works well with meat.

19. njracer

Just going by the recipe I was given, cilantro, red onion, jalapena, lime juice and oil.

Was told to let it marinate for 24 hours so that's what I'm doing.

Cooking it in a few hours.

Fingers crossed.

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Someone ban this fool for porking up our need thread. If that’s not a banable offense, then nothing is