1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone with Bring A Trailer experience?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Apr 27, 2020.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Looking to list some bikes with them, so I'm after some feedback. Pros and cons?

So far thru my initial conversations, they're trying to get me to put low reserves. Like, way below comparable sales. Not too excited about that.

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It's like $100 to list them, right?

If so, list the with worst case what you'd be able to live with and then, if they don't sell reevaluate the situation.

DRye likes this.
  3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

FWIW, people are stuck at home and online stuff is rocking right now. Great time to put stuff up.

motion likes this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah. Problem is they want low reserves. They want 10K reserve on my Bostrom. I don't think a Bostrom has ever sold for 10K before. I'm sticking with my 12K reserve, so I think they're going to deny the listing.

5. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Do they get paid either way? I'd stick to your guns. Don't let them determine what you value your bikes at. Sounds like the TV auctions where bidding has slowed, and they convince the owner to take the reserve off cause it will drive more bidding. Nope, no more bidding, and you don't get what you think is a reasonable number.

tony 340 and motion like this.
  6. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Raresportbikesforsale.com a better alternative?

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I've bought off there, never listed. I'm guessing with this virus BS, they are trying to get lower reserves as a lot of stuff isn't selling. The reality is it will sell for what it is currently worth and I've seen a lot of bikes sell for more than I thought they were worth. Try one bike and see what happens. I can tell you I've seen stuff almost double in the last hour of the auction, and the key is to stay engaged and answer the questions asked by potential bidders.

It really seems to me to be better for buyers and sellers versus the normal auction houses. You aren't forking over a 10-20% sellers fee and buyer only pays 5% up to 5K, which doesn't change the price very much on a $10-20k bike but has a big effect on high dollar stuff.

As old as we are, $2k isn't that big of a deal, advertise one and see what happens.

motion likes this.
  8. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I’ve bought and sold on bat- seamless and easy transactions on 5/5 occasions. If you’re listing it takes a while to actually go thru the process and list but you get your own rep who helps you mold the ad and make it professional . I lurk daily looking for cool shit .

motion likes this.
  9. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

And iconicsportbikes.com also

ducnut and motion like this.
  10. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

Share with the Beeb what you re selling, and maybe we can save you some expenses.

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I like this site, but the audience is fairly small. I think the car guys would be interested in my collector motos.

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah, I'm not going to be sucked in.

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I like Iconic, but I think their audience is too small and confined.

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

wsmc42 and kevincg like this.
  15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

From someone who spends too much time following BAT from the outside, I don’t feel like bikes get the respect the cars get. Some do ok but overall it feels like the bikes don’t pull the high / inflated prices that some of the cars do (rare versus rare). Just my two cents.

nd4spd likes this.
  16. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

I've bought 3 times on BAT and each transaction was smooth. BAT does like to set low reserves on their auctions, presumably with the intent of having more sales and less RNM auction results. This benefits them in two ways, it gives more credibility to the platform to have a higher ratio of sales and of course, they make more money when an auction results in a sale!

It's a great platform and I check in to it every day, but at the end of the day if you're not willing to sell your bike for the reserve they want, then don't list it with them.

tony 340 likes this.
  17. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

He's calling us poor.

18. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Agreed. Not enough volume to get a good bidding war going.

19. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Boman Forklift and nd4spd like this.
  20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!