1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what would the WERA forum do v. new bike problems?

Discussion in 'General' started by turbulence, Apr 25, 2020.

1. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

mv agusta? come on now, lets not get carried away

2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

no!

the only japanese bike i want right now is that 2020 R1M in full exposed carbon with the blue wheels. mmmmmm

Senna likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Modern technology? They can't even start a new bike at the dealership?
    $19,000 and you get a...whatever? Get your money back !!

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

We finally got a decent enough day yesterday to get my first ride of the year. Rolled my 77 GS750 out that was probably last ridden the end of October. Started on the 4th kick. Fuck all this electronic bullshit.

SpeedyE, scottn, YamahaRick and 5 others like this.
  5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

[​IMG]

masshole, ChemGuy, YamahaRick and 4 others like this.
  6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I knew something like that was coming. :crackup:

7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

They hardly sell any, so I guess that explains why they don't see a lot of work for MVs...

turbulence likes this.
  8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

And it will probably still start long after a new bike bought today has all of the fancy electronic shit stop working and it is hauled to the scrapyard...

Banditracer likes this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It seems Apple's business model has spread to the farthest sectors of civilization's product manufacturers.
    What you said about "advances" is exactly why any new vehicle I buy will be at the bottom of the offered trim levels...I wanna avoid as much of that e-crap as possible. Also because, there doesn't have to be an end-of-life for that shit to crap out - as, sadly, witnessed here in this thread.

"The Carburetors are dead! Long live the Carburetors!" :D

10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

This is true for any bike of any vintage. Support ages off for everything. Go to a dealership and ask the parts counter for parts for a 1975 Honda of any model and see what happens.

I woke up this morning to a thread here asking about exhaust canisters for a CBR900RR. Those are not easy to find anymore from Two Brothers.

I had a 2005 GSXR1000 that I absolutely LOVED. It suffered a catastrophic off track tumble at Road Atlanta in 2013. Bike was only 8 years old, maybe one of the best 1000's they
    ever made. Even then, parts were almost impossible to find to make it worth putting that Humpty Dumpty back together.

As far as the OP's post/question....go back and get your check back. Sounds like KTM's about as bad as the Baltimore Orioles as far as things found in Orange and Black.

turbulence likes this.
  11. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

its got covid 19. its going to die.

12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Something may have interupted the programming which can fuck an ecu. They will sort it im sure, doesnt mean there is electrical issues though. On a side note i wouldnt buy ktm. :Poke:

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Hence, resto-mods.
    ...and I propose the reverse resto-mod - slap some flatslides and a Vance&Hines PowerPak on any injected model and look the fuck out! :crackup:

Circacee likes this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It's not supposed to run EVERY DAY! It's an Alfa Rom. . . errr. . . KTM!

Man, that's some crazy shit. Hope it works out.

turbulence likes this.
  15. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Technically, I don't believe the cession period applies to cars and motorcycles. I may be wrong about that, of course. But cars and motorcycles aren't something that sell every day so dealers aren't keen on customers returning big-ticket items that are a business's bread and butter. Mainly because customers don't buy motorcycles every day. Laws vary by state so check your paperwork. Now, a lemon law may apply here. Substantial defect, x-number of failed attempts by a dealer to fix the problem in a given period of time. Then you have recourse. Irregardless, since possession wasn't taken, the OP should have recourse. Especially in these present harsh economic times right now. Just need to approach it firmly and diplomatically.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    turbulence likes this.
  16. StaccatoFan

I'd get my money back and go get one of those 2020 StreetFighter V4's. That's a SLICK looking bike.

Circacee likes this.
  17. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

To keep an old bike running you can not be stuck on using OEM parts. They will dry up and if you don't know enough to convert you will not keep it running. Exhaust systems are an example. If you are stuck on one brand or OEM, forget it. If the carbs become unusable on you 35 year old bike with Keihins, convert to Mikuni. If your basic electronic ignition system goes bad and you can't find a direct replacement, its conversion time or there are companies that will: rewind, resolder install new diodes etc. Pistons? for something like a 1975 CB750 there is after-market but if not, then do extensive homework and swap to a different piston.

Sophisticated electronics are a different animal. Without the troubleshooting software (that the factory will stop supporting) to keep the anti wheelie, throttle control etcetera working properly, when their support ends the bike is not repairable at least with all the electronics working. A 40 dollar sensor will go out and diagnosing a simple problem without the factor testers and software will be almost impossible. Let alone someone still making this very specific electronic hardware because like I said the factory quit supporting it.

cha0s#242, scottn and DmanSlam like this.
  18. StaccatoFan

What applies to the old bikes applies to the new bikes. That's why we have aftermarket ECU reflash vendors as one example. The Factory stops supporting the software on an ECU,
    FlashTune, Dynojet, or someone will step in and provide their software for updates, or even their own ECU. Again...ever heard of FlashTune, Bazzaz, or DynoJet? It's already being done.
    Factory supported, no..but neither is the Keihin to Mikuni conversion you're speaking of, either. OEM parts AND software will dry up just like you speak of OEM parts for vintage machines. Aftermarket, conversions, and swap meets will take over in both cases when OEM support ends.

Nothing's changed....the old bikes are analog....the new bikes are digital. Difference is.....you understand the Analog better.

If this was 1975 and the OP was taking delivery of a CB750, and the dealer fucked up converting that bike to their race package with bigger carbs and and a few other
    goodies like an exhaust, air filter, or something like that and bricked the motor because they dropped some metal in the intake and fucked up a piston, I'd say the same thing.
    Walk away, get your money back and get the bike from another dealer, or a different/similar bike of another brand (V4 Streetfighter in this case would be my choice).
    At this point, for the OP...the product's quality is questionable, and I'd also be questioning the competency of the service department staff.

turbulence and DmanSlam like this.
  19. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

I'd be worried about the dealer's service dept. Tech bricks the ecu and doesn't know how to re-flash to original and start over? Where the hell is KTM's dealer support? They may have bricked it to the point that it's unrecoverable but that seems rare.

I'm no expert. I've read a lot about ecu flashes on the FZ-09 forum, one of the members does aftermarket flashing as a business and says he's only seen a couple of ecu's that were bricked and unable to reload the stock flash. He probably does hundreds a year.

Hope they can figure it out quickly. They should offer the upgrade flash at a discount for your trouble at the very least.

TurboBlew and turbulence like this.
  20. StaccatoFan

Hell.....it better be free after all this BS if he decides to keep the bike.