Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I finally did. I watched it alone. It fucked me up pretty bad.

It was blatantly obvious the events were told from the viewpoint of Mark’s (real life) character. That dude is a damn ET (Electronics Technician). They have absolutely fuckall to do with the drilling, well control, fluid density management, annulus returns, none of it. He made it seem as if he tried to tell them something wasn’t right, and he saved the day.

Ive only met a few ETs that can even name the components being used on the drill floor, or drilling in general. Illbedamned if any of them could tell if anything was wrong or not. They simply aren’t involved in that aspect of the operation.

Anyone (in the oilfield) who watched that movie was like “Yeah right, you are a fucking ET”.

Like (in the movie) when he is telling the BP Company Men that “he knew something was
    wrong”. Bullshit. :rolleyes: ETs don’t even get involved in those conversations. I’ve never even seen an ET in the Company Man’s office in my career.

But anyway, I know some guys who were on the rig when it happened. Of course they make shit more dramatic for TV. But as far as the catastrophe itself (explosions, beams falling through the living quarters, etc) that shit really happened. It was bad.

There have been a few movies over the years that had rig stuff in them, and that movie was by far the most realistic of any of them. Aside from the overly involved role of Mark’s character, that’s basically how it went...and that’s scary.

cBJr, scottn, G 97 and 2 others like this.
  2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

awesome thread

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Sabre699 and Gorilla George like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, this shit is going to get worse before it gets better for sure. A GA department of health doc flat out lied to a conference call of mayors today stating unequivocally that this is 10x more deadly than influenza. Weird since even the CDC says they don't have enough data to make any calls like that. I honestly cannot believe some of these people.

Oh yeah - GA had 95 of 159 counties who had not one ICU bed open before this all ramped up here. Maybe that should have been handled before we got to the point of shutting down an entire state? Granted the pessimist in me thinks a lot of ICU beds get filled because they make more money off of them...

cav115 likes this.
  4. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

It's been widely reported that China had the crematoriums blazing 24/7 for quite awhile. There's also been a lot of reports of the "mass shipments" of urns to the funeral homes, some received upwards of 10,000. First time I've seen that they also had to bring in crematorium/funeral workers from other regions, to handle the body load. LINK

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Let's hope you don't have to celebrate your life lying on your stomach and/or on a ventilator for three weeks before you go when you're 80.

scottn and Montoya like this.
  6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Ouch!

Apparently this test can be ..."uncomfortable".

That a drilling rig right there!

[​IMG]

7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Interesting, and rare.

Best wishes.

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Gahdammit. I will have this.

Montoya and Sabre699 like this.
  9. Black46

Black46 Well-Known Member

But we do know how many people die every day. We have very good statistics on that going back 100+ years. What I haven't seen is data on "excess deaths". It's would surprise me a bit if the overall death rate at the moment is actually lower than normal with people staying home.

10. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

The fact that they have had senior government officials and official media channels trying to promulgate propaganda and innuendo that it was an American virus and spread by the military is absolutely unforgivable. As well as their initial and ongoing coverup scheme. European countries are now calling bullshit on their test kits that were sent over, for being practically useless. The Netherlands just went ballistic that a good portion of respirators they recently received were faulty. They're even struggling to control their own citizens calling BS on their lies. Every supply chain manager in the world is going to be reevaluating the risks of distribution going forward. As will every government, now that so many realize how vulnerable their national supply chains are.

With the reduced demand from the world wide shut down and Russian/Saudi rivalry... looks like some refineries are starting to shutdown.

MachineR1 and Pride & Joy like this.
  11. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Actually, the reparations were from WW1 . They helped to hobble the German economy and kinda helped give rise to Adolph and friends.

David-imoddavid and stk0308 like this.
  12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Bob they are all named Bob...

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

None of that shit is going to last. For the same reason an airline trying to give passengers three more inches of legroom, a full meal and an allowance for two large suitcases in exchange for $50 extra on a $300 ticket will quickly have to realign itself with the rest of the airlines charging $300 or die. You can make people accept anything in exchange for a cheaper price. Mofos are patriotic until they have to open their wallet. If they have to choose between a 40-inch American-made TV and a 60-inch Chinese-made TV for the same price, China suddenly ain't so bad anymore.

Lawn Dart, scottn and Montoya like this.
  14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I suspect it is more good practice than anything else. For instance if you had a major issue prior to this would you go to the hospital in say Walker County GA or go to Chattanooga/Atlanta? The sheer quantity in Walker would be to low to support the medical expertise needed. So even if they had the ability you would not want to use it. Kind of like crashing at Grattan and they ask which hospital Greenville or Grand Rapids. Trust me the correct answer is NOT Greenville :crackup:

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Maybe they'll pull out that pesky polyp at the same time.

Sabre699 likes this.
  16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

JFC!!! Cain't a bitch just draw some damn blood or something??!!??

[​IMG]

17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

"Made in China"....

18. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I've been running my company for almost 30 years now, and have never used a Chinese supplier. Of course we've certainly purchased supplies that were made in China, as often there's no other choice. But primary suppliers have been domestic that entire time. We could have made a lot more money had we made a different choice. All of our competition certainly has. But we're still in the game simply through better service, better quality, and innovating as much as we can to improve efficiency.

Lawn Dart, nd4spd, Shocker and 5 others like this.
  19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

That's what the Oranganator hopes to limit it to.

Sabre699 likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

What does this have to do with anything? I would hope this for everyone regardless but reality says otherwise.

In any event, it’s absolutely a waste of time and energy to worry about it in the first place. I can’t control it.
    The only thing I can control is to try and live a healthy lifestyle. And even then it’s a crap shoot.
    Theres no guarantees.
    I’ve made peace with it long long ago. Life goes on. :)

cav115 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.