1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

bigtime, Stumpy, Sabre699 and 2 others like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

Then use the Vaseline someone sent ya

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

tl1098, G 97, Spang308 and 2 others like this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Senna, G 97, yuengling910 and 8 others like this.
  6. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

I am wondering what would happen if the recommendation was this ?

If you are
    1) between the ages of 18 and 45
    2) regularly work out at a high intensity of cardiovascular ability (cycling, HIIT, running, etc)
    3) have no underlying respiratory health issues or autoimmune disorders (fake gluten intolerance doesn't count)
    4) are a non-smoker
    You may receive some sort of financial compensation from the US government if you intentionally go out and get yourself "inoc'd up"
    Go out in public. get the sickness. deal with a slight flu like cold for a week or so. DO NOT MAKE CONTACT WITH ANYONE OUTSIDE OF THAT RANGE.

Everybody else, aka, you don't fit the criteria, you need to stay home and self quarantine.

We need to build some kind of herd immunity, and fast. I'd totally do it for a nice tax refund / financial check / bailout

Oh wait. I'm already still working 13's, in large groups, fixing nuclear power plants so that our hospitals and infrastructure have grid stability, and now I have trouble finding restaurants that want to sell me food and an ice cold beer after work...

baconologist likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Based on what criteria? Does the study account for cultural, ethnic, and lifestyle variations?

G 97 likes this.
  8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The other problem with that is, you have no idea when you actually contract it and become a carrier. While you are out and about trying to contract the disease, you may actually be spreading it instead.

I am glad I kept my street bike. With the decreased traffic around here, I may actually enjoy a ride. I am guessing my April 11 track day at Summit will not be happening despite the assurances from EvolveGT. I am not sure I would go even if they do hold it. I can get a credit and even if that ends up being lost that isn't the end of the world.

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

surely it is on paper.

here are some real world facts (yes, you can argue anecdotal evidence yaddayadda) form germany that would certainly alter your personal impression of quality:

german hospitals are generally at a very high occupation rate, meaning only few beds empty, resulting in full multi-bed rooms.
    friend of ours was in labor for 20 hours and 18 of those she was put in a room with a person of different cultural background, where the culture dictated that around 15 family members were with that person all the time. the hospital only allowed 4 persons to visit the room at the same time, they didn't care. so with her husband it was 16 then. hospital didn't do shit about it.

my son had strep 2 years ago when we were there, so the wife went to the ER. sure wait times are long over here as well. but when it finally was their turn, the young doctor didn't even check his temperature or other vitals. looked at the throat and wrote a prescription that had to be picked up next morning when the pharmacy opened (no 24 h like here).

all i can say in the almost 10 years here, the quality of service, knowledge and thoroughness of the american health care system impressed me. granted, i have good insurance and that plays a big part. even though my knee is far from perfect over a year later, i would still say it was a great procedure and treatment considering what all was blown up in there.

another thing to consider is that nurses here are well paid and respected. this makes it an attractive job for smart people. a nurse in germany nets around 2300 per month after working shifts and long hours. after 13 years you'd make 3200, but you also have to factor in the toll it's taking on the body. so theres a drastic shortage of workers in that field.

the service and surgery i had in switzerland (titanium in arm) was good, but they wanted 30 grand cash before release.

MachineR1 and G 97 like this.
  10. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

I gave you the link, go read.

11. bacolmm

bacolmm Well-Known Member

Currently in PA schools and non-essential businesses are closed for 15 days. I guess my question is, what happens in 15 days? I’m convinced that the schools are closed until fall. At what point do we allow businesses to get back to work? I’m sure things will be worse in 15 days. I guess, what needs to happen before we start letting people get back to work? March is pretty much done, are we going to nuke April as well, May?, June? What is the expectation of what will happen once all of the restrictions are lifted?

12. The 15-day thing is to basically kinda "pause" to keep everyone away from everyone else (within reason), so they can see who has it and who doesn't.

Within those 15-days, people that have the virus will likely become sick, or at least show symptoms. This 15-day break just lets everyone sorta see where things stand. I would imagine if 15-days pass, and everyone is still fine, they might let things return to normal. Obviously that is just me sorta thinking out loud, I have no idea what they have planned or what the future holds.

It might seem a little drastic, but those are the kind of things that need to happen. It wasn't too long ago (within the last week or two), that there were less than 400 cases in the entire nation. Now there are more than 400 just in New York City.

They are just looking for ways to slow the spreading.

Yzasserina and bacolmm like this.
  13. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

How will they hold riders meeting? just over the PA? How about class room time for first timers?
    I coach for a different org and am expecting cancellations for April.

14. My point exactly. I’m certainly not going on full lockdown just using a bit of common sense. As you stated they did the same in Europe and blew it off, which I was guilty of myself until about 10 days ago. I did buy some ammo that I’ll use for target shooting within a few months, bought essentials at the grocery store, my hands have enough brake cleaner to kill anything from working on stuff in the garage. I’m driving to SC to meet up with Joe P today to drop off his frame / wheels at powerecoater but certainly not going to go to lunch even if it was open. Doesn’t mean I won’t hit a drive thru. My kids still play with their friends outside in my hood, but friends cancelled their sons bday party for this weekend. It’s a little inconvenience that does suck ass but speaking to friends in Italy it’s a very bad situation that the media actually for once has down played. People in the us won’t comply with being locked down and anyone who thinks they will are crazy. I’d imagine 20% or so wouldn’t comply and that will create hostile situations with people policing it and it could get out of hand. We shall see what happens and I’m hoping for the best, not expecting the worst but expecting it to get a bit worse than it is now. Look at spring break in Fl. Then those people are going to bring it all back home. That’s how it spreads to areas instead of isolating it and being able to allocate resources to hard hit areas. Still can’t believe i totally agree with Broome. I’ve been through all these first hand. Was in China during sars, Uk for hand foot mouth, etc and that didn’t phase me and I was guilty as the next person not taking any precautions what so ever. This ones different as I don’t care about the death toll, I’m worried about the social economic impact and the stupidity that comes with all that. Some People don’t know how to deal with a crisis situation, panic and do stupid shit. The spread of stupid is what scares me. I’m infected by stupid just a different type and I’m well aware of that.

15. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

Any of those countries coming up with a vaccines or leads the world in medical patent ?

G 97 and StaccatoFan like this.
  16. bacolmm

bacolmm Well-Known Member

In other words, after the 15 days a decision will need to be made to either extend the "pause" or end it. What will the criteria be? Obviously the number of infections and deaths will go up over the 15 day period.

17. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I was just reading about that last week. The Battle of Midway, the Battle of the Coral Sea. All triggered by being at Chicago Midway airport too damn early in the morning.

Those guys did some yeoman work getting the Yorktown back out in 3 days.

rd400racer likes this.
  18. beac83

Yes, Germany is very close to having a vaccine for this. So far ahead of us that apparently Trump offered $1B of our taxpayer money to corner the market on it.

19. beac83

Best ad for a cup that I've seen!

20. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

this should get you banned IMO

Quicktoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.