Michele Obama says white flight ruined her neighbourhood

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by speeddaddy, Feb 6, 2020.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Who cares about the words................they've got spray on hair!!!!!!

2. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Overly defensive goes both ways too...

I was in a grocery the other day, and saw one of my black friends a couple lines over at another register. I call out "hey brother" which I do with a lot of my good friends. Of different races.

should have seen the shit looks from a few other people....

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I just saw that episode a few nights ago. The entire show is on netflix,and we've been watching an episode or 2 each night before bed.I caught an episode when it was new years ago,but never made a habit to watch it regularly. That sh*t is funny.:D

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

There is a lot of good discussion available concerning Huckleberry Finn but I just included several
    pertinent articles, two of which discuss the usage and importance of the word nigger in the book.

Understanding the historical meaning and usage of the word is critical to understanding the book, and
    since the word nigga was not in use and did not exist at that time but is commonly used by some of the
    students reading the book, I'd say a discussion about the difference between the two words is essential
    to avoid confusion and receive the benefits of the lessons the book is trying to teach. Certainly, kids of that
    age could be expected to look beyond the necessity of using the words in order to discuss them. If it makes
    them uncomfortable then they should discuss that also, but you don't learn anything by avoiding the subject.

In short, that kid that says "nigga" all day long needs to know that when he reads the word "nigger" in this book
    it does not mean the same thing at all, and he needs to know exactly what it does mean and how else would the
    teacher accomplish this?
    Do you think the teacher is doing something wrong here?
    Do you think the kids are too unsophisticated to consider the topic?
    Wouldn't you rather have your kids treated like adults and being challenged to think?

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordeba...y-finn/the-word-nigger-is-part-of-our-lexicon

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordeba...res-dual-life-in-the-case-of-huckleberry-finn

https://marktwainhouse.org/2016/06/06/what-we-can-learn-from-huck-finn/

https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/huckfinn/themes/

6. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Why would words make you want to smack someone. That simply shows weakness on your side. Someone could say whatever they want to my face. I’ll just stand there. It’s comical.
    I had a customer just last week in my parking lot. A young black man was asking me what the beat up old air compressor in his trunk was worth. I told him it was worth about $20 and we’d pay about $10 for it. He proceeded to pull it out of the trunk and toss it across my parking lot. Then told his girl to get back in the car and they were leaving. He didn’t like that I stood right behind the car and explained no one was going anywhere until he picked it all up and put it back in the trunk. He call me a bitch cracka probably 20 times. By the time he left, I never once called him a bad name. But he did put it back in his trunk. I did yell to the neighbors that I was in the presence of a bonafide lowlife racist. But I only spoke facts.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    K51000 likes this.
  7. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

If all of that was to convince me that there’s context and good conversation around the correct usage, you’re going to lose me. Sorry. What it meant then has nothing to do how it’s used and received today. There 2000 other words we can have a discussion about in the book without the kids feeling some kinda way.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Saying it to me has about the same impact as it had on you. Going after my wife is different. It just is. I don't worry about anyone's opinion of enough to fight anyone over what they call me.

Quicktoy likes this.
  9. In Your Corner

Which is exactly what I said with all them words you didn't read.
    I guess it's easier to take offense.

10. Quicktoy

I think Huck Finn is waaaay outdated. That being said, I’m not sure what school your kid goes to but my kid read it last year in a mixed race class. The only person uncomfortable with the book was the teacher. The kids embraced the n word and no matter who was reading the book, one of the black kids in the class would loudly say the word out loud when they came up to it in the book. The kids found it funny and not insulting in any way.

11. Quicktoy

See. I’d laugh too. I’d just tell her. Now they’ll have to deal with her

12. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I didn’t take offense at all. If we agree, then good. Win win

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If I live another 1000 years I will STILL never figure out why black guys call each other Nigga.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  14. G 97

G 97 Garth

And it’s acceptable. Completely whack.

15. In Your Corner

We didn't agree, we just both noted the same fact but had totally different reasons for it.
    You asked for a reasonable explanation and I gave you one and you don't want to hear it.
    That teacher is treating the students like adults and trying to get them to learn something.

16. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

It’s called a ‘flip’.
    We talk about it at the meetings and everyone gets a laugh about how it confounds yt folks.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

It’s also called being hypocritical. :Poke:

tony 340 and StaccatoFan like this.
  18. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Aha. this is where we differ.
    the teacher was a douche and she got what her ignant ass deserved. When the entire student body tells you they are uncomfortable having this particular conversation and you continue to press it, nothing is being learned except that some folks don’t respect your wishes.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Imma borrow that one.

20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Back on the topic of Ms. Obama....

tony 340 likes this.