Dumb shit you've accidentally done at the track.

Discussion in 'General' started by ineedanap, Jan 13, 2020.

1. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Was sorting thru some bike stuff and was reminded of a funny story. Figured I'd share.

THE SETTING:

PIRC WERA/N2 Endurance 2016, Friday racer practice

The whole day was a shit show. My teammate (Zoran) flew in from Reno expecting a SV650. Unfortunately, I high sided it into a dumpster (figuratively, not literally) at Autobahn and showed up on a semi-sketchy R6 I had bought just weeks before. So....here I am at the track with Zoran and Dave675 probably thinking I'm a crackhead, zero hours on a 600, zero hours at PIRC full, still hurting from the Autobahn crash, on a bike that wouldn't run right. Spent half the day running around Pittsburgh looking for a power commander.

THE DUMB THING:

4PM: last practice session of the day. Picture a sense of relief as I finally get out on the track for what I hope to be my first decent lap. Somewhere around turn 3 that I realize that my boots seem to be way better ventilated than I remember. Look down, and Ho-lee-Shit, I can see my ankles. I'm wearing my damn Nike running shoes on the track!

I manage to make it back to the pits after one lap. Unfortunately, pretty much everybody in the area had migrated to Dave675's trailer for free popsicles or beer or something. So I did the only thing I could...rode straight into the middle of the group, had them hold the bike, got the boots on, and went back out. I hadn't seen that much pointing and laughing since I shit my pants in kindergarden.

I'm bored today. Any other stories out there?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Vstate60, rcarson15, K51000 and 11 others like this.
  2. Deciding to go to the track like it was a good idea to piss away all my spare money :)
    In the end, money well spent though.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Had bolted in refreshed suspension, loosely attached MC’s to new clip-ons for adjustments, forgot a final torque, go to tech, the guy smacks the tops of both levers, they moved. So grateful the guy regularly checked those things. Profusely thanked him.

tony 340 likes this.
  4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Last session at a track day at Hallett. It's been like 100 plus degrees all weekend and I'm worn out. Last call I pulled the front warmer and dropped the bike of the front stand. I then proceeded to throw a leg over, hop on, drop it into gear and off the rear stand and drive away with the rear warmer still on.

Luckily, it just jerked the cord out of the switch and I was straight up when I heard the racket. If I had tried to turn I am sure the rear would have slid out on the warmer and I would have fallen on my head.

t11ravis and ducnut like this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

@t11ravis to the white courtesy phone please. :D

t11ravis, dantheman and TurboBlew like this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

showed up

t11ravis and WANABE RACER like this.
  7. joec

joec brace yourself

A certain Norton racer years ago missed 3rd call at vir many years ago.. managed to just barely make the grid. Did the entire race in high tops. Lol.

8. joec

joec brace yourself

I crashed twice in the same corner in 2 consecutive laps. I got back out in the same group of riders I crashed in front of the first time and then proceeded to wad it again the very next lap in the very same corner. Turned out there was old synthetic oil at the apex and they announced it to everyone but I apparently didn't hear it, then just kept crashing in it. Lol

rcarson15, Laz, Pixelator and 6 others like this.
  9. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Trackday @ RoadAtlanta...going thru turn 5..realized I didn't have gloves on...it was after lunch..no idea why.

SpeedyE and noles19 like this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Many moons ago I went out at practice with WSMC with the fuel tank on my EX500 disconnected. Made it almost thru T1 before running out of gas. Crash truck takes me in and I realize I forgot to hook up the quick connect after messing with carbs. Fix that.

Next session I go out, with fuel hooked up for certain. bike dies in the same spot in T1. WTF. Crash truck comes by. Didnt turn petcock on. FML.

Got a quick talkin too after that....

I also drove from WSMC down the street to the mexican joint one evening and when we got back in noticed the wooden ramp on my little single place trailer was still attached. you could see the wood residue it as it was sanded down on the parking lot. It had the perfect angle to the ground after that...

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The only time I did an "endurance" race (CCS team challenge), I left the vent open on the fuel jug when my teammate came in. I realized something wasn't right when it turned it upside down on the gas tank. My gasoline-soaked suit and gloves had a nice cooling effect as I proceeded down the pit lane, though.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Ducati up on stands with tire warmers. Get the call to hit the grid. Ignition on, as indicated by the oil light on the tach face. No other gauges.
    Hit start button.
    Rear wheel commences to spin at Corse tall 1st gear revolutions.
    Embarrassingly, bike is not in neutral and no starter interlock...ripped the cord right out of the warmer.

Put Suzuki on stands with warmers, I check to see they are heating. Some time later, I get the call to grid. All suited up, gloves and helmet, I strip the warmers off and proceed. First lap is getting some heat into the engine. First flying lap into T1, throw the bike over and it just keeps going down. I'm on my elbow thinking to myself, “What? I'm crashing?”
    I separate myself from the bike just in time to watch it launch itself off its frame slider and the outside curb, the pirouette of death ensues.
    The front warmer had failed...the bike is totaled.

13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Damn and you pilot airplanes. :D

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Take off like airplane...land like glider.
    :D

beechkingd, track wagon and rd49 like this.
  15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Got confused and removed the bike's rear stand first. Apparently it doesn't like to be only on the front stand. Fell over and took out the pit bike just for spite. Having 10 folks watching didn't help much either. Of course it was one of the few times the bike had perfect paint on it.

track wagon likes this.
  16. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Sitting on a toilet doing a panic'd/rushed #2, leathers around my ankles and hearing "3rd call".... :oops::D

track wagon likes this.
  17. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Got spooked and chopped the throttle on a BMW Airhead at the apex of Turn 7 Road Atlanta.

I chose...poorly.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I was working pit out at PIRC one practice day a few years back when I let a rider out on course without wearing his boots.

joec, ChemGuy and ineedanap like this.
  19. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

:crackup:
    Isn't there a statu(t)e of limitations on that? I feel like I served my time and am now a better man for it.

Sabre699 likes this.
  20. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Rode my '02 Triumph Sprint ST to Gateway for my first trackday. Don't judge, I live in St Louis, it's convenient. Taped up the lights, pulled the fuse to shut off the headlight and tail light, removed mirrors, ready for novice. First session out, feeling my way. But, something is amiss. It took me 2 laps to realize I had not insured the seat, that I had to remove to pull said fuse, had not latched back securely. It was sliding around under me. Hand up. Pit in. Don't bother going all the way back to my pit. Get just off hot pit. Stop. Smack seat into place. U-turn. Guy waving people into hot pit watched the whole thing. I could see him trying not to shake his head, and the thought bubble "NOOB".