1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna eat pie

ducnut likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Me too. :beer:

3. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

lol, yeah that was my other beef with them.

I'm gonna trademark Lamborgheenee, I have a better claim to Italian heritage because I'm 3000 miles east and closer to the homeland. :rolleyes:

ducnut likes this.
  4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I rode my friend's Canyon Aeroad and must say I was impressed with the feel and general build quality. I'd definitely consider one for my next bike if I ever want to invest that kind of money.

Cannoli and Senna like this.
  5. knedragon29

They say some subtle changes main one being different seat post ( little wider front to back vs older model ), forks are a bit wider , all hidden cables to which the stem area doesn’t look so bulky compared to other brands ( like to see how that was pulled off )

6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Their builds are such good deals that I think I’d go that route for a new bike if I was in the market.

Most of the big brands you have to choose between a quality frame, quality components or quality wheels. You seem to get all three from Canyon at very reasonable prices.

7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

There's a pretty good series of YT videos called Descent Disciples. I posted the first one in the YT video thread. CA sure does have some kickass roads.

8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

ISM saddle arrived Tuesday evening. I’m really impressed by it. It feels kind of weird at first because the nose is wide but the lack of pressure is very noticeable vs. the power or Romin, especially in the drops. The saddle also has a nice foam feel to it. It’s the most comfortable saddle I’ve tried in the sense that I don’t get that “oh shit this seat is hard as shit” feel when first getting on the bike. Time will tell but it’s way closer to perfect than the Romin or Power or the Fiziks I’ve tried.

9. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

This dude says ISMs should only be used for TT/Tri. Strong opinions though. Use what keeps you comfortable on the bike longer, I still recommend seeing a professional fitter though, because the discomfort can be caused by how you're holding your hips/body, and the equipment itself is fine if used properly.

Myself, I prefer hard as shit, (a) you're wearing shorts w/ a chamois, I assume, and (b) saddles are meant to be perched on, not sat on/in, in my experience. I'll probably try out a few full carbon pad-less saddles in the spring.

My experience with soft, highly padded saddles was not great. I ran the Fizik Aliante for a season, which fit my rear okay and didn't cause hot spots, but was so soft, it would push it's way into the soft areas on my backside to cut off circulation to my legs in long seated efforts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Senna likes this.
  10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Saddle comfort is just super personal. ISM has released a couple different roadie saddles in the past few years and I know NorCalCycling rides one.

I wear bibs of course, but they’re just okay quality. I would struggle to plunk down Assos money on a pair, especially as I’m actively losing weight at this point.

11. knedragon29

I have 3 saddles I kinda just rotate at no particular time , ISM (old Century model ) , an Old E3 Gel and a Cheap Full Carbon Chinese Time saddle . Mostly on the ISM . The cheap $20 Time saddle is just carbon , no padding and for some reason its comfortable for me (maybe its just the shape of it ) . Usually wearing Castelli aero bibs (from 20-70 mile rides ) or for long long long 100 mile rides I go to some old Garneaus .

12. knedragon29

The ISM will usually get me a little bit on the inside of my one cheek/groin , its designed to sit way up front on it so you'll have to move it around some .

Senna likes this.
  13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Okay, you convinced me based on that video. I used the old-style Toupe for many years, and a lot of his talking points (namely, seat-bone width doesn't correlate to saddle width) are things I've learned after trying to research this for a bit.

I'm going to see if I can find that Griffon on Amazon with the free return policy. Thanks! :beer:

14. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I use a griffon flow saddle and it’s extremely comfortable for 80+ mile rides. My only gripe is if I’m riding low tuck like in a crit, I will get some perineal discomfort. Usually I get dropped and sit up so I don’t have to worry too much after that. :crackup:

Once I can ride again, I’ll probably end up trying the new Selle Italia line of narrower saddles like the SLR or others they offer. Anything wider than 138mm starts chafing at the inner ass/leg junction on me.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

For that reason, it seems a good chunk of the crit guys have gone to a Power/Arc since so much time is spent in the drops, with some being on the ISM. It’s all pretty personal.

TakeItApart likes this.
  16. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Just picked up a Canyon Endurace CF SL Disk 8.0 Di2 for my wife. Should be here in a few days. When the Ultimate CF SLX Disk 9.0 Di2 is in stock in my size, I’m next in line. Lady’s first, ya know :flag:

DWhyte91, pscook and Senna like this.
  17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Take some shots of it when you get it!

18. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

ISM is going back. It was fine for my ramp test, but I found on my actual trainer rides, it seems to sap power away from my legs because of how the nose is designed - it seems to put pressure on my glute/hams in a strange way that causes fatigue.

Surprisingly, I slapped on my 10+ year old Toupe 143 on the bike (extremely minimal padding), and found that to be quite comfy and really allowed me to get power down. I suspect, as that fitter said, that the 155 saddles I have now are too wide as the Specialized ass-o-meter measures you as if you're sitting in a chair. The Toupe did cause some numbness in the drops, so I have a Selle Italia Superflow en route to try out and see if the larger cutout works.

19. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I got a 155power on a week ago. I can't say I'm sold, and the wings seem to push me forward on it. Do they have a narrower version? The specialized ass-o-meter measured me at 135 if that helps.

20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yea, they have a 143 variant too.

You have to set the Power up very differently from a regular saddle.

Specialized recommends setting it so that the nose of the saddle is 3cm BACK from where your old saddle's nose was. I measure from the top of the stem (where the bolts clamp the handlebars) to the tip of the saddle to keep things consistent.

My local shop also said to measure the saddle angle at the nose of the saddle. I put a book right at the wings/nose of the saddle and angled the saddle slightly down on a spirit level. This seemed to help with comfort quite a bit, but I don't think the saddle is for me regardless.