Successfully bailed from Illinois

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Jan 7, 2020.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

It wasn't easy but we got out. The neighborhood we were living in is going downhill. Section 8 houses popping up, schools closing, more and more crime in the area and plus we were out growing the space we had. I thought we weren't going to be able to sell the house but we did and we came out with some cash on top of it all. We lived with my mom for about 2 months. Filled up a storage unit and her attic with our stuff. Had our bed in her dining room but she helped with the kids. Found a place across the border in Crown Point Indiana that fit the price range and generally what we were looking for. So the house we have now is 3 times more space than the old one and the taxes are 3 times less! LOL. Even though moving twice sucked and moving the 2nd time during the holidays SUCKED we did it.

The garage isn't perfect. It's 2 wide / 4 deep. So my friends helped me frame out a partition on the backside of the garage for a climate controlled shop to wrench on bikes. This way momma can still pull her car in the garage and we can keep random toys, bikes and other shit on the other side of her car. We insulated the walls with R13 and the ceiling with R30 and it's nice and sealed up in there now. I'm contemplating running a gas line out there for a heater rather than AC. We put up some new LED lights and built a brand new work bench. We also have a bar in the basement. Man cave in the garage and man cave in the basement. I'm in heaven. It's unincorporated with well and septic which is all generally new in the last 5 years. I actually got to wrench on a bike last night for a couple hours. It's been since October.

The schools are rated high and our 3 year old twins will be just fine in the new school district once they transfer out of the school they are going to now.

Illinois is going downhill FAST! RUN!!!

Things are looking good for getting back on the track as well. I have new motors in each SV. I hope to come out and play this year a couple times. Happy new year WERA folks. I hope 2020 is a good one for all of you.

It was a goal to accomplish all of this before I was 40 and I was only about a week late. :)

upload_2020-1-7_14-48-10.png

upload_2020-1-7_14-48-57.png

upload_2020-1-7_14-49-37.png

upload_2020-1-7_14-50-22.png

upload_2020-1-7_14-51-6.png

upload_2020-1-7_14-51-47.png

upload_2020-1-7_14-57-43.png

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    MELK-MAN, RichB, Mud Whistle and 20 others like this.
  2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Welcome to Indiana... Now just don't sh@t a brink when it comes time to register your vehicles..

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Awesome! I think IL leads the nation in negative population change.

I'm looking to relocate about 90 min south of you. Next trip up for me (from GA) is in two weeks. Yes, a great time of the year to head that way.

G2G likes this.
  4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Congrats

5. Hyperdyne

You looking to move to Indy?

6. grasshopper

We don't have new vehicles so it was pretty painless and less money than Illinois. The BMV in Indiana was a breeze. Got my plate, drivers license and transfered title during the holidays in less than 2 weeks. I flunked the written test for the motorcycle endorsement so I had to go back the next day retake it. Stupid trick questions from someone who probably doesn't even ride.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Congratulations, my parents live in the Peoria area, and I haven't heard them complain, but maybe it's because they are used to it. I left Jan 85, because I didn't want to deal with cold weather.

I wonder how many more crooked governor's they will elct?

YamahaRick likes this.
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Well done!

9. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

". . . and the taxes are 3 times less!"

So, if your taxes were $4000, then one times less would be $4000 - $4000 = $0.

Then 3 times less would be getting $8000 back, right? :Poke:

10. Hyperdyne

I'll never buy a new vehicle again here. Gawd those fees sucked..

gapman789 likes this.
  11. grasshopper

Yea yea yea. Taxes were 3 grand on a 950 sq/ft house. Now they are 1400 on a 2800 sq/ft house. 3 times the room half the money for taxes.

12. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Well, hopefully the new legal weed sales will help out the economy or line political pockets...

I moved out of IL to GA 4.5 yrs ago also and wish I'd moved sooner!

13. grasshopper

Just more money for the Illinois crooks to waste and make disappear into a black hole

YamahaRick likes this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nice! :up:

YamahaRick likes this.
  15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Nice.

Your about 1.5hrs south west of me.

Holler if you need help.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

For no more space than you’re needing controlled, a large-chassis, window unit with heat and A/C would be an easy option. Otherwise, a wall-mount would be ideal.

17. grasshopper

I like those Gingerman bike nights in the summer that STT runs. Usually low attendance with plenty of track time from 5pm to dusk. Easy and quality track time and only have to take a half vacation day.

JJJerry likes this.
  18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

But...the band man...

[​IMG]

K51000 likes this.
  19. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I left Illinois in 1992!!

Congrats!

G2G likes this.
  20. rafa