Have bikes ruined sports cars for you?

Discussion in 'General' started by USracer900, Dec 28, 2019.

1. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Drove a friend's 2019 Mustang GT convertible yesterday. 460 HP, 6 speed stick, weighs about 3700 lbs. I'm a heavy guy and the passenger was 265 lbs so have to factor that in also. Exhaust note was incredible, didn't hit too many corners but it did seem to corner well and the power was, um good? Ran it hard through the first three gears (to redline) and yeah it was quick, but definitely not mind-blowing.

What's it gonna take to impress me these days, an 800hp Hellcat? I have an old school 93' 900RR and seat of the pants that feels twice as fast as this brand new Mustang GT. Damn thing cost 60K too! Anyone else feel the same way?

rk97 likes this.
  2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Yup, bought a truck to tow my bikes and said screw it to cars.

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Only if you care about straight line speed. In a series of twisties, a monster like a GT3RS will have you begging for your life.

brex and Phl218 like this.
  4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

So will the out of warranty repairs or crash damage

stk0308 and Senna like this.
  5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

A Mustang GT will do the same thing but you have to be standing on a sidewalk as it drives by out of control.

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Not at all.

I put it as a completely different thrill. When I mash into my Chevelle big block and feel the frame flex, that’s something bikes won’t give me.

Same thing kinda with Karting when you get that perfect blue groove line and feel all 4 tires squeeling and launches you off the corner.

Don’t get me wrong, bikes are by far still the best, but there’s different types of thrills to me.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Used to build and own muscle cars, went to the drag strip every weekend. After the first bike, completely lost interest in owning a performance car.

I still like to look at them and go to races and car shows. Don't want to own one.

Funny thing is I don't even like being in a fast car anymore. Age thing I guess. I just feel more control on a bike than in a powerful car.

K51000 likes this.
  8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I don't enjoy riding on the street at all. I would rather drive my Corvette. I may change my mind when I finally move to my mountaintop full time.

9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I enjoyed the shit out of the LeMons race I did in a 1994 Nissan Sentra.

4 wide braking dual into the last corner off the back straight at Gingerman? YES PLEASE?

11. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Not really. It doesn't even have to be a powerful car, one that corners well is what excites me.

K51000, Bloodhound and roy826ex like this.
  12. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

It's primarily straight line speed I'm talking about. I can still enjoy an anemic Miata in the twisties.

13. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I karted on dirt some years back and it is fun as hell when it's hooked.

14. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I got a ride in a Nissan GTR at the track, they were having a combined car and bike track day at Sonoma. Dual clutch, twin turbo 600 hp. Slower than the 1k felt about like a 600, but was much faster around the turns.

15. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I've never been gaga over cars. Earlier this year I was given a free paid (business thing) trip to the BMW experience. I got to wring the piss out of the M3, 4 and 5 for a day, no holds barred. It was fun, but they basically felt like an oversized go kart. I'd never even ridden in a real sports car my entire life, but I was bored by the end of the day. Cars hold about 1/10th the enjoyment motorcycles do.

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

no car has ever scared the bajesus out of me like say a turbocharged 1000 pulling the tire up ~130mph clicking into 4th & going 170 through the traps running low 9s or high 8s in the 1/4. The H2 is similarly violent with the power hit... no matter how hard you dig into the pegs and clinch the tank with your knees...lol. I did get to put around a 250 kart a few years ago... my ribs hurt for days afterwards. I wasnt even pushing it "hard". I never gave a second thought to pushing a kart far enough it flips on you... its is really physical.
    That being said I just bought my first car project in a long time... a 2006 Forester. Its a hoot especially with the 5 speed. Just doing some basic hotrod stuff but maintaining its street status. Even put a trailer hitch on it! :D

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nope, but GTIs and Miatas have ruined me on over powered and over priced sports car. I'm also a huge fan of rental shit boxes and trying to get something out of them.

Motorcycles are a different feeling and moves different parts of the body.

stk0308, pscook and beechkingd like this.
  18. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I'm slow on a bike but felt way more comfortable on a bike.
    The roll cage, harness had me feeling closterphobic.
    Entering T8 at Willow in a 520HP STi around 120mph and having a Radical blast past me, scared the beejayzuss outta me.
    I do like fast cars but hate being a passenger, having no control fooks with my heed.

19. 418

418 Expert #59

I've never drag raced a motorcycle but that doesn't sound like a bad time. :D

baconologist and TurboBlew like this.
  20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

especially on a bike that was ridden and not trailered...lol.
    What used to amuse me was the full drag bike guys with a crew and whole routine to do 1 run... I parked in the burnout box waiting few mins on them to be "ready"... then I just thumb the starter & roll in the lights.

YamahaRick, tony 340 and RichB like this.