The Ben. Again.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jun 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

There is a difference between factory team and factory supported team. Do some people not understand that?

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Evidently not.

3. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

So is this the new “pro” argument?

4. Not at all, it’s a bit more clear cut but vague :) Factory supported varies a good bit though from getting access to parts to having techs from the oem in your pits.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

There are lots of ways you could define it. You could go the route that if the folks in the pits and the rider are getting their paycheck from the factory that is a factory team. You could define it that the factory is providing the bikes for the team. You could define it that the factory is providing new parts to the team based on feedback from the team and riders. You could define it that the factory is providing a certain percentage of the financing of the team. The funny thing is a lot of that isn't public information so from the outside, it would be hard to tell who is factory and who isn't.

By some of the definitions in here, none of the teams in WSBK are factory teams. Kawi, Honda and Yamaha have what I would call factory teams in WSBK. Just because someone else is running the team doesn't mean it isn't a factory team. Unless there is a definition by the sanctioning body, we can all agree to disagree all day long.

6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Too many fools get hung up on definitions...

They are all race teams, some well funded others not so much.

It does seem like 2020 will be a rough year for MA unless something remarkable happens in the next couple of months.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You and he have very different versions of what the factories pulling out of racing means. Not rocket science and I have explained it repeatedly.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't understand this thinking.

Grids are up. Spectator turnout is up. Viewership is up.

Some team sponsorship level shakeups isn't going to change that. You guys have a very odd view on what is important to normal spectators, having a semi truck with Suzuki or Yamaha in large letters ain't it...

Nick_OMC, The Great One and ow01 like this.
  9. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

JD Beach said it in the comment to Jake Lewis. 5 guys from Owensboro this year, next year none of them have rides. Doesn't sound like grids are up.

10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I could care less about semi’s in the pits. All I care about is racing on the track. Lots of competitive riders without a seat and no
    Plans doesn’t look good. It may turn around in the next couple of months but it isn’t looking good. Not just in one class either.

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They are guys who want paid rides, that has nothing to do with the number of bikes on the grid.

ducnut likes this.
  12. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Not happy about this, but if anything racing will be more competitive next year.
    Since I started watching AMA we always knew was going to be Graves Yamaha or Yoshi Suzuki winning.

Team Hammer with the Suzuki fighting the Yamahas on super sport was one of the most interesting things I saw this year.
    Maybe 2020 we can see a Kawi or a Ducati on the top of the podium for Superbike.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Please clarify - what do the riders without paid rides have to do with it? The maybe a dozen guys who everyone thinks should have paid rides spread over the total classes is nothing. There are riders who are paying their own way or who are making other arrangements who are gridding up. The numbers from last year show improvement from 2018 which was better than 2017. Where is the indication that things are all of the sudden going to tank?

ducnut likes this.
  14. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

So you endorse having more riders like HWSNBN? Ugh.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When people are arguing that grid size matters then yes, I endorse having more riders on the grids. Who is paying for them to be on the grid is a moot point to the majority of those watching the races at the track or at home.

That is not the ultimate dream of course but that is the reality of motorcycle roadracing. MA is getting better and is being successful at growing, it is doing so at a direct cost to us even with the twins and kids as well as the normal losses we have with the 600 and 1k riders going pro but it is growing and that long term is good I hope for all of us.

ducnut likes this.
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

So long as they can qualify why not?

pscook likes this.
  17. While the guy deserves ridicule for being an attention seeking douchemissle, he did support racing and bring attention to the sport.

Not to mention, he wasn’t slow (in the grand scheme of things). He could put down laps faster than probably 99% of the people on this forum.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  18. YamahaRick

If the grid is full of nothing but "attention seeking douchemissle(s)" versus actual talented racers, then the end has arrived. His skills were beyond the average person, perhaps even the average forum participant, but his $$$ inflated his performances. Absolutely no where near a Spies*, et. al.

If that is what you kids want, have at it. Or go back to playing your video game console.

* - note he rode both Hamamatsu brands, Toe. Hence my choice of rider skill for comparison.

19. YamahaRick

Doubtful. More like 75%, and that's if you include lurkers. As in all 4,809,790 members. Welcome, Mark Wendell!

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I guess I don't understand why motorcycle racers feel they are special compared to every single other form of motorsport which is inundated with rich dudes paying to be there from jet skis to top fuel. Or different from the vast number of athletes and entertainers getting paid zero or very little to be seen while paying for all their own training and gear. Welcome to showbiz?