Suzuki RG500? A square 4cyl- 2 stroke engine?

Discussion in 'General' started by K51000, Oct 7, 2019.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Holy Mother of God!!

2. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Meh. I'd hold out for an Aprilia rolling chassis. Far superior and lighter.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

The PV Cheetah cylinders suck ass for roadracing. Save yourself a lot of grief and get the non-PV versions. There is a wide variety of port maps to chose from depending on what power characteristics you want. Don't go higher than a 68mm bore for roadracing too. Big vibration and seizures enter the picture if you do. My cylinders were custom made to 66mm since I was using a +4mm stroked crank which worked out to 396cc and made it legal in more classes in both WERA and CCS.

backbone likes this.
  4. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Interesting. What is it about the PV porting that screws it up for racing? I would have thought that the PVs would allow for a taller exhaust port. Is it a matter of retiming the valves?

edit - I mean when the controller opens and closes the gates.

5. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Short of getting a Spondon (are they even open anymore....) chassis, the best option seems to be the Aprilia. I have the RGV250M chassis, but with a few mods here and there. I would like to find a longer, wider swingarm that I can get to fit without too much 'persuasion' but I know some will be required.

If someone just has to have one, I will sell my entire setup for $25k and walk away.

6. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Beautiful bikes, but what I meant was that the OP probably won't want to plow any farmer's fields with it...

7. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Anyone ever tried putting Yamahas 4 cyl 2 stroke Vmax4 snowmobile engine in a bike. 800cc of holy shit.

bored&stroked likes this.
  8. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I had one of those for one winter. Lots of fun if you could carry gas to it fast enough, talk about sucking fuel...

10. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

The PV's are pneumatically controlled and don't respond quick enough for roadracing use.

11. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Oh. Well, that's silly ... I assume they're vacuum operated, so this arrangement literally sucks!

12. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

Apparently I'm now people have never seen an RG500 Gamma square 4 years old. That's old!

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

A picture of a square (not V) four engine
    [​IMG]

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'll kill you.

15. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

You'll try. But my Honda's will continue to run, slowly, away while you sputter to a stop.

16. RTD

RTD Well-Known Member

Probably wouldn’t work very well but it would sound awesome!

Attached Files:

17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

[​IMG]

18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Why reinvent the wheel?

BTW, this was a production machine. Almost anyone could buy one.

1974_TZ750.jpg

pscook and Banditracer like this.
  19. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

cause that wheel, even in total basket-case non-operating form, will run you like $35k these days. and then when you seize it or crash it, you get to sit around for half a year scouring the internet for parts haha. when a banshee motor or snowmobile motor breaks... you go on ebay or bikebandit.

20. VTRDarren

VTRDarren Well-Known Member

To the OP, that one looks to be a Walter Wolf replica edition.