1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires

Discussion in 'General' started by Jaketheone46, Aug 1, 2019.

1. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

This is true. Fontana has not been my track this year.... 2 high side's in 2 different corners.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Well you wanted advice on how to "race" on the streets, and people called you out on it? And yet, you came up with many excuses reasons, why you thought everyone else was wrong, and you were right to many who actually race.

so yeah...try harder to be funny

3. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I don't understand why, when there are lots of forums for that kind of stupid, Joey Racer kind of talk about tires, people come here with it and then get all butt hurt when nobody plays along. I don't know if they want to boost their ego maybe? But, there isn't going to be anybody on this forum who's impressed.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Only thing I can think of is buried in the shit giving is some decent info.

Ra.Ge. Raptor, BigBird and ducnut like this.
  5. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Ehh, those places are full of how great the Shinkos are on their stretched Groms Bullshit.
    This place has a lot of real world useful information, you just have to filter through stuff that comes along with it.

BigBird and ducnut like this.
  6. condon66

True, there is good info available here, but, if your questions are lead into by talking about how hard you like to exit street corners, you appear to be an idiot to most people here.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

well he did want to keep that race geometry for the race tires on the street, yet has never even done a track day.

This thread makes me angry, where's @FrancisA when you need him

8. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

What Broome said: nobody understands how slow he/she is, up until the point they hit the track. Then you see the light.

9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

My Dad always said if you don’t want the answer, don’t ask the question.

10. turner38

There are still some very good riders on the street. Riding on the street especially in the mountains is a totally different animal than doing track days or racing. Believing you are superior to every street rider because you have raced or done track days is foolish.
    Every one wants to feel superior. Fact is there is always someone better and always someone worse.

11. Ra.Ge. Raptor

It has nothing to do with feeling superior to others. There will always be someone better or someone willing to take more risk for himself and other road users, that's a fact. That same fast/reckless street rider will be a lot better/safer rider after he hits the track. That's undeniable.
    So, it's about being (not just feeling) superior to your former self. That's what the track has to offer to every single rider.

12. condon66

Well said. Yeah, I don't think anybody here made a single comment based on their feeling superior to anybody. It's kind of like a 16 year old telling a buddy his age how well he drove the night before to get home even though he was wasted drunk vs. telling that same story to a 55 year old. The 55 year old is probably going to say something you don't want to hear. Is that a horrible analogy?? Makes sense in my head at least.:D And I agree that hitting the track, even in the form of a trackday, makes anybody a better/safer street rider. Once you realize even the fastest street pace doesn't even come close to being on a track I think at the very least you realize there's no point in pushing a fast street pace anymore. It's not even fun once you've been on a track.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Ra.Ge. Raptor and ducnut like this.
  13. Hey now, don’t be shitting on Groms!

14. To make this thread complete, we need to know how fast the OP is in a GoKart.

turner38 and BigBird like this.
  15. turner38

No, just going to the track doesn’t make you a better rider or street rider. Properly developing your skills does. Guess what, racing and street riding are two totally different animals with two very different end goals.
    On the track the end goal is to win and cover the distance over the shortest amount of time. That is accomplished by ensuring that we are at or near the limits of adhesion as much as possible over that distance. On tracks that have limited threats and relatively consistent surfaces.

On the street the goal is to enjoy the ride and make it to the destination safely. This is accomplished by predicting threats, preplanning escape routes and ensuring we have a ample amount of traction in reserve for unexpected threats. Whether it is silt on the road, gravel or fluids. That doesn’t mean street riders can’t ride a brisk pace. A better rider on X bike can ride at a faster pace than a equal rider on Y bike and still have more in reserve and be safer doing it.
    The track isn’t the place for everyone, especially on modern sport bikes. When I put on the leathers and head out on the track I am 100 times more likely to throw the bitch down the road than on the street simply because I will push the limits more and the price for doing so is much less.

Over the years I’ve ridden with and seen some really good riders on the street and seen some really really bad riders at the racetrack. Some of them even being control riders. They can be the worst, always on line, but some of them are slower than snails and always in the way.
    :D

16. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Of course the endgoal is not the same! The mentality is different as well.
    The skillset for riding proficiently, though, developed in the safe environment of the race track, can be used either for speed (track riding) or safety (street riding).
    Do not compare different riders. Any street rider, no matter how slow or fast he thinks (or actually) is, can benefit from riding focused solely on technique (track) rather than tractors or oil or etc, etc.
    Of course there are street riders that are faster than track day riders! These street riders would become even faster and/or safer riders once they hit the track. Fact.

BigBird likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Damn, shots fired @Gorilla George :Poke:

:D

Steeltoe likes this.
  18. turner38

Not fact.
    The odds of injury are much greater when the frequency of chucking the bitch down the road goes up.
    The best way to make any rider a safer better rider is to put them on a slow small bike like a XR100 on a dirt layout and let them learn bike control.
    Techniques that work best for the track aren’t necessarily suited for street riding while the ability to use the controls always is.

19. turner38

Nah, he ain’t the one that comes to mind. :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

i must say riding a few circles in my back yard with my kids and a dirt bike is a eye opening experience. most of the the time the bike is just sliding around and you gotta figure out how not to eat dirt. it's pretty cool.

I now see why NH69, Stoner and MM93 are great at just spinning up the rear, bike sliding and they keep on going forward from all their dirt experience.