The New James Bond Is a Wus!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Tahoe Man, Oct 25, 2005.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’ve only seen the one where the jaws guy with gold or silver teeth where they jump a speed boat across a levee. At the time I thought it was good but it hasn’t stood the test of time to become anything remarkable. So I’m not missing anything otherwise, including this impending train wreck pos.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think it's great. End of the books Bond did retire I believe. The movies have rarely held very close tot he books so a new 007 isn't a big deal. If it's a good action flick it won't do a thing to the franchise at all. Hell, it survived Brosnan and Dalton and the only Bond to really hold true to the books is Craig.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Don't they have other agents? They could have avoided alienating the He-Man Guild by making a 00-something-else movie.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah but at least in the books the other 00's kept getting killed and need 007 to come save the day :D

6. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I’m curious as to why you feel Brosnan damaged the brand or wasn’t a good choice. I liked him. Every actor does a new take on it and takes cues from the extant cultural milieu. He hammed it up in a cheesy era but was also able to believably play a ruthless killer when needed. He was entertaining. Craig took on the more stereotypical killer operative persona in a darker era.

I’m not sure if the referenced link is accurate, and yes they’re doing it for PC purposes, but the Bond casting choice has always reflected the culture. A black female could be an entertaining and interesting choice if they don’t bash us over the head with PC bullshit. It also reflects the changing nature of Britain.

A female operative honeypotting men and then stabbing them in the neck after they nut might make for good cinema. It’s not a bad choice if they don’t make the movie preachy.

7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Wasn't that Pam Grier?Or Coffee something or other...........?

8. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Dunno, before my time. It could be a refreshing turn for the franchise if executed with entertainment and storytelling foremost versus PC pandering.

9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Acksully, David Niven was the worse Bond ever. The Brosman had some bad stunts IIRC, paragliding scene. The Connery where he was made to be asian was also one of the bad ones.

Bond will still be played by Craig, just 007 will be the woman.

10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Odd question I know, but is this Mrs Lynch a good actress?...

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I never said he damaged the brand - I don't think the brand can really be damaged as long as it puts out entertaining movies. Brosnan was widely panned as a Bond choice as was Dalton, I think they both did fine in the role.

I like Craig the best because he fits the character Fleming created in the books the best - to me at least. Upside to books is you can make the characters as you want them in large part :D

Totally agree on the choice. I like it and it'll be interesting to see how they use her.

What's funny to me too is that the brand has been run by a woman since the mid 90's. :D

12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

And miss an opportunity to virtue signal on a grand scale?

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I fail to see how the message would be any different but then again, I'm not that much of a James Bond fan. You can probably tell that by the fact that I had no idea that 007 regularly saves the other 00x's asses. :D

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

15. nigel smith

007 is an icon. He even showed up at the Queen's jubilee. Using a different 00x would have been like making Jimmy Olsen transgender when you could have transjacked Superman.

16. nigel smith

I hesitate to ask what he may be licensed to do.

17. nigel smith

Also, you should really give the early Connery version a look. They are worth your time.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Licensed to ill

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The 007 character is a male fantasy of what
    (supposedly) every man would like to be.
    He always comes out on top, can do pretty
    much anything and he gets the women with
    no attachments.
    How is a woman going to fill that bill?
    Who is going to go see such a movie?

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm not saying I haven't seen the movies, I'm just a casual viewer. I've never even seen one of the books, let alone read one.