1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riding mower deck size

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Jul 12, 2019.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

not sure about that. a service is about $60 every two weeks and that's without all the frills, just a grass cut. My neighbors pay about $3k a year with all the frills and talking about .4 acres or less of mowable land.

2. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I had a box store 42" John Deere riding mower that I used on .5 acres. Did the job well and quickly, but it wasn't really anything to write home about. Bought it for $500 on craigslist and sold it for $500 five years later.

BigBird and Razr like this.
  3. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

yes you can cut "more" lawn with a larger deck but, you cant get into tight areas, and corners the larger you go. that makes for more trimming. get the largest deck you can without needing to trim, or you will be buying a push mower and or weed whacker and adding more time to the lawn.

i mow over 2.5 acres with a 52" deck zero turn in about an hour, came from a 48" deck garden tractor, that took me close to 2 hours. dealer was pushing for the larger 60" deck, i wanted a 48 to match my current striping patterns, etc... they were out of 48" decks, settled on the 52", that still meant every 12 passes i "got a free pass"/ whereas the 60, i would have gotten one every 4 passes. with the 52 i still need to trim quite a bit.

also if you have holes, obstacles, undulating terrain, the bigger mowers "miss" quite a bit of "lawn", and or scalp more. leave the large decks for golf courses, ball parks, and commercial outfits.
    you will thank us later.

Ski

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Richie, don’t accept that. 3ft. Screw drivers at dawn!

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

No service will meet my quality expectations, nor will they give me that moment I crack open a beer & survey my perfect lawnscaping.

TurboBlew, BigBird and speedluvn like this.
  6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

This is why I can't really go bigger than 42" deck. I have 1.4 acres with a lot of growth (palm trees/scrub, pine trees, pepper trees) and a lot of undulating terrain. Anything bigger and I'd be scalping a lot of areas and have to do a lot more edging.

I'm slowly trying to clear some of the younger growth out, and may make an investment at some point to level out portions of the yard with fill, but for now I'm just trying to maintain it to a degree where it doesn't start swallowing my home. It's a lot of damn work, and really taxing during Florida summers when the growth is much more rapid.

BigBird likes this.
  7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I have already cracked open 4 or 5 before you have cracked open your first while I watch my service cut it. :D

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

42” is fine. However, if the chassis size you’re looking at has a 54” offering, go with that. The additional width allows more trimside overhang, which is really nice to have. If the deck is the same width as the drive tires, you have no overhang for trimming. However, if you’re on very uneven terrain, less overhang is better to mitigate scalping. The 54” is ~29% wider, so it’s quite a bit quicker mowing time. The 42” should be a twin-blade and the 54” a triple-blade. Three blades will leave a nicer finish and better handle discharge material, as will high-lift blades.

Above all, I hope you’re looking at a zero-turn. That’ll save more time than deck width. My 42” ZTR outmows a 60” diesel lawn tractor, on the same property.

I have a 30” Toro TimeMaster, 42” Hustler FasTrak, and 60” Hustler X-ONE.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I purposely bought a walk behind so I would be made to get a bit of exercise.

10. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I have a little less than an acre with about 10 trees and a bunch of other stuff to mow around. Bought a 42" ZTR off craigslist and I'm glad I didn't go any bigger. Definitely a time saver vs. a lawn tractor.

ducnut likes this.
  11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Does that help when you notice that Hose A missed a stripe with the mower and Hose B didn't weedwhack around the airconditioner?

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Doesn’t bother me in the least, they will get it next week.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Are these Hose A and Hose B twin brothers? Probably are and their Mom has no legs, her name was Consqello...

14. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Nothing more amusing than watching a bunch of guys in a deck measuring contest.

TurboBlew, Banditracer and ducnut like this.
  15. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

<<<66" :)

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Hustler Super Z?

17. speedluvn

You sure you don’t want to enter the fray to see how your deck measures up against the other deck holders?

ducnut likes this.
  18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You are the guy On a Quest For Deck. :Poke: :D

19. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Swisher tow behind. About to be replaced with a 72" Toro Groundsmaster.

ducnut likes this.
  20. speedluvn

No. A French moderator has it out for me for some reason. :rolleyes: