1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ceramic coating automobiles.

Discussion in 'General' started by zamboiv, May 17, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They did? I thought it's always been do as I say not as I do.... :D

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You're welcome, glad to be back. :moon:

3. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Is this stuff like perma plate ? I used to sell cars and perma plate was a huge f&i thing ... I assumed the ceramic coating was the same hocus pocus . I just got a new truck and wouldnt be opposed to it but I feel like it’s such a scam .... I plan on doing a full wrap in the next few months anyways .

4. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

From what I understand it won’t protect against paint chips but it is the cats pajamas for washing and not having bird poop, etc etc paint. But it has to be done right.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you want true paint protection...cover the car in Xpel. If you want a super slick surface that will reject contaminates the ceramic coat it. If you want both wrap the car then ceramic coat the wrap. That 4 to 6 microns the ceramic coating creates can't protect as well as the 200 microns of a film. Neither protect from everything. I high velocity impact can breach the films.

6. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Check out Autogeek.net for diy stuff , I use the Pinnacle Black label kit and their car wash soap. Good stuff.

7. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I self applied Opti Gloss Coat on the wheels and use Opti No Rinse for washing. Have XPEL for impact protection. Also, low dust brake pads. Would recommend all 4.

For a new home and work garaged vehicle, just felt full pro ceramic was going overboard. Maybe in a couple of years will do it in combination with full paint correction, since prep is 75%+ of the work.

8. bikerydr

bikerydr Active Member

I'm in SoCal, and have a 997tt that I need the Xpel replaced, plus some rock chip paint repairs on the hood. Which product and shop did you end up with for the Macan?

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

do you have DI water station? A friend of mine that does high end detailing has a setup at his house that he can fill a transport tank with a gas powered washer... its the cats meow for "quick" rinses. Zero water spots even in the blazing sun. I want to say its $50/month for the subscription and service.
    Also has a cool air/degreaser atomizer thats the sheet for dispensing with greasy, filth messes like around a counter shaft area or dirty engines. I couldnt believe how effortless it made cleaning my bike. The exhaust even came out looking factory new.

10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I didn't even know people wrapped their cars in clear wrap.

Then again, as expensive as cars are today, I can see the justification. Just not for someone like me that drives a 2012 Camry or a 1996 Explorer.

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Or for anybody that lives where we have winter/salt. Unless you can spray it underneath and seal all the salt out. Like that would ever happen. :crackup:

YamahaRick likes this.
  12. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Ultimate shield.com

I didn’t realize it but this is my brother-in-laws, brother-in-law who I know pretty well so I’m gonna take it to him.

I didn’t realize he was in the industry until my brother-in-law told me. He’s a big dirt bike guy as well.

13. 23103a

23103a Well-Known Member

No... never even heard of that. :cool: