1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student loan forgiveness

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Pittenger5, Apr 23, 2019.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Then hopefully they will learn a lesson and act differently.
    If you bail them out, the ripoff just continues which would seem
    to be exactly what you don't want.
    If no one is taught a lesson then no one will learn a lesson.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It doesn’t. What surprises me is that everyone in here is cool with the fact that they did it and expects our kids to foot the bill. We’re the ones benefiting from all that money being injected into the economy.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So I’ve been thinking about who’s benefited from all these loans. All that money that was borrowed and given to schools/etc in the past 20 years went into our economy, at the expense of the future economy.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

I don't think anyone is disputing this. Still does not excuse the fact that is was still a personal choice made by their own free will. Way more people don't have degrees then have degrees and not everyone with a degree over extended themselfs with debt. The majority of peeps were smart about it. The minority are now crying about their own decision. Tough.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Jesus fuck, welcome to fiat currency 101.

It's got fuck all to do with higher education, tech stocks, real estate, or bitcoin mining.

The problem is a fiat economy. End of discussion.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

How do I benefit when UNH spends a million dollars on a
    sports scoreboard?
    Or a professor of gender studies who teaches two
    classes a week earns $160K?

I'm not cool with it being done but it's just one more way
    that ever-larger government fucks the populace.
    If you want to punish the responsible parties, have at it
    but don't suggest that those smart enough to not take
    the bait jump into the boat.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How about this? Instead of using taxpayer funds to forgive student debt, the government reduces support to the various schools by an amount equivalent to the tuition increases over inflation, and forgives the student’s debt by that amount. The school profited illegitimately, they can foot the bill.

8. pickled egg

I bring your attention to this screed of stupidity.

Here's one nugget of shit to chew on...

What this "economist" is too fucking intellectually incompetent to grasp is that the product generated through increases in productivity would increase astronomically in price (see: that inflation number he likes on one side of the equation but not so much on the other) were the wage to produce it reflect the value added by productivity increases.

And this is the kind of stupidity you have fuckwits like the braindead bartender from the Bronx citing as "evidence" that the "man" is keeping the working class down.

Fucking idiots living in a vacuum, when will they suffocate and set us free?

cav115 likes this.
  9. pickled egg

No. They didn't.

Just like Yugo didn't profit illegitimately when idiots bought their cars.

cav115 likes this.
  10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes they did. Outside forces created an artificial market. They weren’t responding to true demand when they raised their prices.

11. pickled egg

Every market is artificial.

cav115 likes this.
  12. pickled egg

13. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Now we’re singing from a similar sheet of music.

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

In this plan will I get a check back for what I "overpaid" ? Or does The Bank of Craig get fucked again?

Rebel635 and cav115 like this.
  15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Sure

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My brother was a factory certified Yugo mechanic. They got repossessed so often that the dealer ran out of storage space. The timing belt would break and bend the valves. He was buying them in bulk. I paid $75 for a one year old car and drove it for quite a while. It really wasn't that bad, provided that self respect wasn't high on your priority list. Anyhow, any profits made by the Yugo factory were fleeting.

17. pickled egg

[​IMG]

ryoung57 likes this.
  18. pickled egg

I've got an '03 neon. Show me where this mythical dignity is hiding :crackup:

19. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

You have become the undisputed master of the rhetorical question.

20. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I'm confused how it's my responsibility to pay for someone debt. I know damn good and well a military recruiter goes to every highschool in the country and talks about the job skills, pay, and oh, the free fuckin college you get for a 3 year commitment. I fail to see how anyone was duped into anything, "kids" should know by the time they're graduating that nothing comes free.

The company I work for offers 75% tuition reimbursement if you get a B in any college course/ degree plan that can be used to benefit the company; anything from HR, Law, business, accounting, engineering, etc. The last big company I worked for offered 100% tuition reimbursement for getting a C. The girl in the office next to me is an immigrant who had college paid for because she applied for every scholarship she could find and worked. $250 or $500 scholarships add up, her sister made it through dental school the same way, scholarships and searched for opportunities to reduce loan dependance. It's no ones fault but the person who took out these loans, it's no ones fault but the ones that decided to finance expensive ass schools + their living costs. I still can't fathom financing living expenses, WTF would the person do in the real world? keep taking out loans for living expenses their whole lives?

I've posted the numbers before, someone making $20/hr or 40K can certainly payback even expensive student loans, take out my fuckin Tesla payment and insurance on the truck/RV and a 4bedroom house for a single guy and $20/hr more then pays for even $120K over 20-30 years these loans are financed for. If I can afford all of those things on 40K there's no reason someone can't afford their college debt. It's no ones fault but the borrower they took on debt instead of reducing it with scholarships, part time jobs, or employer type plans. It's no ones fault but the borrower that they refuse to make the sacrifices necessary to pay down their loans. It's like the doctor that has a million dollars in debt, doesn't pay enough to even cover the interest and blames the system for his debt.

jdaniel, cav115 and R Acree like this.