1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi R8 - Attainable Supercar?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

There is a Porsche thread in here saying they suck though. Lexus is amazing for certain.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The Maytag Men of the car world?

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'd do horrible, unmentionable things for one of those new NSX's. Those cars are amazing.

[​IMG]

BigBird and Steeltoe like this.
  4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

8yrs of being recon manager says that thread is wrong.
    Sure, the window regulators go bad. Oil seperator in a 911 every once in a while. Maybe a driveshaft in a cayenne. Had a head gasket in a 911 once. Targa top 911 is for sure going to break the targa top. Swing out cupholder is going to break eventually. Otherwise, they are solid cars. Lots of people blow the 996 bearing issue out of proportion. I've seen exactly one actual failing bearing.

BigBird, Phl218, XFBO and 1 other person like this.
  5. bored&stroked

Yes, but not compared to the original they replaced. OG's cost as much as the new ones are going for. That's gotta tell you something.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I like the original, and I'd love to have one, to park next to my new one :D

[​IMG]

bored&stroked likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

renegade17 likes this.
  8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

BigBird likes this.
  9. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

Ha! I owned 2 Miatas, and I'm now on my second Boxster. I guess I like chick cars! :eek: Still, each of them has been sheer pleasure to drive.

BigBird, sanee, scottn and 1 other person like this.
  10. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

No one had mentioned a Nissan GTR?

BigBird, cav115 and ChemGuy like this.
  11. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I had a brand new 2006 LS430 Ultra (about $85,000 new) traded it in with 365,000 miles & spent $25,000 on repairs. Air springs were $9,000/$10,000.

XFBO likes this.
  12. bored&stroked

I f'ing love Miata's.

ofcounsel and pscook like this.
  13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Aren't all top-level exotics (La Ferrari, one of the McLarens, etc) hybrids now???

Personally, I think they did OK with that NSX, lotsa other cars I'd pick before that one but still a contender.

I've been looking, on/off, for a 911 (mostly 996/997's) but got discouraged over the rod bearing failures........I can't recall if you shared your input on that subject when we had the discussion..... if you bought one, would you just drop the $2500 it costs to replace them for piece of mind or ????

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's not dark yet. I'd own one if I never had to see it from the outside.

mpusch likes this.
  15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

FTFY (it’s pretty much the same statement)

Chris and ChemGuy like this.
  16. bored&stroked

Yes, the very top models are. I don't like any of them. I'm there for the driving experience. I enjoy testarossa's, ZO6's, cayman GT4's and boxster spyder's etc because they are amazing drives that push the right excitment buttons without having to be stupid fast to do it.

Well, I've never heard of rod bearing failures nor experienced one here. The bearing in question is called an IMS bearing. It really only affect 996's. I think the 05.5 997 with the 3.6L might as well. Every single 996 buyer is concerned with it. Usually by this age if its gonna fail it has already. Had one customer so concerned he paid to have the bearing replaced. Pulled it apart and found a perfect, new looking aftermarket upgraded bearing already in there. Didn't save him any labor money though as the trans is already out. Personally, I wouldn't replace it unless there is a large tell tale showing me I need to, like metal shavings in the oil or knocking/grinding noises. Or buy a 997 3.8L or 996 turbo and don't even think about IMS anymore lol.
    well I mean mine's pretty glorious and all so I'll go with it.

BigBird, XFBO and Phl218 like this.
  17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I was just thinking that the best bang for the buck in a "supercar" is a 996 Turbo. You can find a decent one for $40K, and I've seen them as cheap as the low 30's.

I saw one at Cars and Coffee last summer and it looked pretty damn good. Didn't even notice the headlights :D

bored&stroked likes this.
  18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

My bad, it IS/WAS the IMS bearing that was problematic on that gen.....I'm getting bearing issues mixed up between that model and the M3 (E92).

And thanks for sharing that tidbit about the 997 3.8L, may have to start giving that model a look! :D

LOL....the headlights is the one feature I always hated on that gen....but I've heard they're still fun cars to drive so I think I can overlook it. :D
    Besides I'm pretty sure you can get a precut tinted stick on that hides that oblong portion pretty well.

19. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Is Porsche that far removed from VW/Audi design and engineering to really warrant a completely separate quality reputation? Do people actually use a Porsche in the same way they would an Audi? Also curious how the Cayanne and weird wagon thing that are used in a more consistent manner stack up.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I totally get the love of driving them. Wish I could fit in them to do so :D There's just something about the styling of some cars that makes them chick cars however all of those I can think of are truly fun to drive.