1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beto for president?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sheepofblue, Jan 2, 2019.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

It was the same when I was young. They had a list of what was going to be the end all in the future. I did something I like and am decent at and earned a good living. The issue is not the lies it is the entitlement nonsense, you can choose what ever you want then earn accordingly.

A prime example is the teachers as super heros nonsense vs the 100% whom I have met that whine about how much they make. It has always been easy to see what they make and when. Some rules have changed but boo @#$#@ hoo as that is common to many areas. Oh and then the propaganda about the saving the world super hero teacher.....ooops educator. Why not the sanitation engineer, imagine if there were none. Or the folks at the water plant. Or cops, or people running the grocery store.....or or or. People do useful tasks at a rate the market will bear not what unicorns wish for.

G 97 likes this.
  2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Unwilling, and possibly unable. It's easy to enter a trade and work your way up at 16-18 when you don't have any kids, bills, etc. It's a little tougher when you're 35 and realize you're fooked.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Going to college isn’t all bad. We need people to develop new technologies and medicines. We need people to research weather events, as that research is saving lives. I can give plenty more examples.

Liberal arts degrees can have their place too. We need teachers, artists and musicians. Many liberal arts majors go on the graduate school as well and end up earning very good livings.

But it isn’t for everyone and you need to look at what you and your family can afford as well. Maybe living at home and doing a junior college for two years than an in state State school is what you can afford even if you qualify for some fancy private school.

I have stopped donating to the private school I attended. I have long ago “paid back” the grants and scholarship I got. The quality of their applicants and the tuition continue to rise. They clearly don’t need my money to subsidize them at this point. I give generously to a good local faith based charity instead. I also volunteer for there, so I see my money being used to help my community.

R Acree likes this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It shouldn't take you to age 35 to come to that realization. You do what you have to do and don't whine. Harden the F&(K up.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So what should you do at 35, sit in the house? Hell I'm 52 and I know my job is going nowhere with no chance of higher earnings or a retirement, doesn't mean I'm going to quit and go live under a bridge :D

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

FTR, I'M not whining. Short of the student loan debt that pisses me off, I'm great. But I see the writing on the wall for countless others.

Most people don't get a good grasp on reality (and fully mature) until their mid-30's. The lucky ones are in a position to re-train and get on track. The others will languish, pile on the debt, and be miserable, then when they get old they'll become burdens on society until we send them to the Soylent Green factory.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wasn't thinking about you being a whiner, just talking in general about those who are. Sorry if it looked otherwise.

Mmmmmmm, soylent green....yummy.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

FWIW, and IMHO, I think that for quite a few it's about not wanting to face life and responsibility. Yeah, I know I am old, but I see a serious difference in attitude. When I hit 18, most of my friends couldn't wait to move out of their parents home. We knew it would be a long time before we would have a decent standard of living. In contrast, many of my daughter's classmate are perfectly willing to stay at home and sponge off of mom and dad. Sure the parents are partially to blame. They let it happen.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Here people just want someone they can train. They've all but given up on finding someone that already has skill.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Try it at 49 with 7 and 3yr olds.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Pimpin ain't easy.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

But necessary.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Training them to show up, put on their tools and do something other than kick rocks and take vape breaks is the greatest challenge.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

When you have a backlog and no skilled labor, 50% productive is better than 0%. On the plus side, wages are increasing in the trades and will likely to continue. When the $hit is overflowing your toilet, that plumber is worth a lot.

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You ain't getting argument from me. I'm just pointing out getting someone to show up may be half the battle, getting them to believe that they showed up to actually EARN a paycheck is another thing entirely.

I do wish there was a decent PM out there to make the actual boots on the ground more productive and economical. I waste more time dealing with others' incompetence and spoon-feeding the starched shirt douchewhistles than I do fixing the fuckups.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I saw half a dozen guys strip and reshingle an entire house - granted it was a simple ranch - in under 6 hours the other day. Saw 8-10 frame in an entire first floor this morning in 4 or so hours. Those guys are always looking for coworkers and the pay ain't bad. No matter how old you are.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There are a lot of good PMs out there, but they tend to be the ones that worked their way up. There are exceptions, but no matter how good you are with coursework, there is no substitute for hands on experience.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

All the good PM's worked their way up.

Most of the PM's are college educated with zero knowledge, experience or clue as to what the process of construction entails.

Cannot count the jobs I've showed up on that was "ready" for me and the plumbing and mechanicals haven't been started, much less finished.

20. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

If it took 10+ years to realize your degree in southwestern left handed womens studies was the going thing then you have no chance of turning it around until the commies enslave you as a useful idiot and force you to be productive for the more equal animals.