1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colonoscopy prep

Discussion in 'General' started by Jon Wilkens, Apr 8, 2019.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Shit. Literally. Did you buy in bulk at Costco?

My Ex asked me to take her in a couple of weeks. Apparently I didn't get enough of her shit, cause I said yes. o_O

Best wishes Wilkens. My buddy had his gut punctured and went straight into surgery, so I'll never do one of these.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

One guy had a complication vs thousands of guys had lifesaving preemptive treatment.

[​IMG]

Rebel635 likes this.
  3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

[​IMG]

4. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Second session into full swing....gotta love this o-dark thirty shit (no pun intended). First half was easier to get down...maybe just cause it's so damn early. My trusty sidekick pup is keeping me company this morning.

One reason I posted this up in the first place was to simply show folks that are afraid to do it or don't talk about it...it's ok to. It's an important check for guys our age (50)...don't know about you, but I want to be around racing for many more years to come.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I've had 3 and due for another, one was done under the
    watchful eyes of a bunch of student nurses.
    Minimal drugs on that one too.

Enjoy your day!

pjzocc and Jon Wilkens like this.
  6. kangasj

kangasj Banned

LOL, there were a bunch of women in the room last time I had one. Well, three girls and two doctors. I walked into the room and said "Shit, I should have sold tickets." I didn't have a driver for that one so it was nice being totally awake during the procedure.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Hey... It's your ass on the line.

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Eh, something is going to get you. Stroke, heart disease, cancer, tractor, motorbike, Columbian girl....we are talking about 10 years, 15 max. Stroke is a real frickin bummer. I only need to make an appointment to ride more.

9. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Is 50 the age to start this fun? I have some history of colon cancer in my family, thinking I should get this done but I'm not 50 yet and the Doc says insurance won't cover it.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How old are you? With a family history your insurance will probably cover it but you’d need pre-approval. They’d rather pay for a colon cam now than for cancer treatment later.

Jon Wilkens, stk0308 and ducnut like this.
  11. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Don't be so sure about that...

12. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

My wife is an ICU nurse and doesn't like anesthesia either, she did it without any and was fine. I prefer procedures without it too. Generally skip it at the dentist, too awhile to convince them but now they don't argue anymore. I'll take a little pain over having a numb face all day, though I did have to tell the assistant to stop making faces as it didn't hurt and she was making me laugh.

Phl218 and beac83 like this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I’m not positive but it’s worth the effort to ask.

14. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I’m in this boat. My experience...if you have a close family member with history of colon cancer the doc will recommend it (parent, sibling, grandparent). My sister at 48 was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. I put it off for a couple of years but at 41 I had my colonoscopy. Insurance covered it. I met with my normal doctor and she wrote the order for it. I also spoke with our insurance rep and got it cleared first. No way I was paying that shit out of pocket. The procedure was not that bad. They pulled three polyps out of me that weren’t cancerous yet.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe she was talking about hair?

Jesse likes this.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

As mentioned above, insurance will likely cover it, given you have predisposition to colon cancer. My primary would recommend your first at 40, then, every 5yrs after.

My colorectal doc has me on a 3yr plan, given he found polyps at 50. I’m not looking forward to it.

For those avoiding this, having two docs tell you it appears you’re in the advanced stages of cancer, followed by a radiologist having the same thoughts, one’s life flash before one’s eyes. I immediately started thinking about all the things I haven’t done. Fortunately, or unfortunately, things didn’t turn out that way. However, I spend most of my days bedridden, which is no life, either. Guys and gals, take care of yourselves by utilizing preventive practices. Without your health, you have nothing. Trust me.

Sprinky, gixxernaut and tl1098 like this.
  17. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

46. I have a yearly (didn't want to say "annual" in this thread) visit with the doctor coming up. I'll push it again and ask for him to consider writing an order for it. The family history was grandparents, I know that's not immediate family, but close enough for me.

Phl218 likes this.
  18. kangasj

kangasj Banned

You might be right. Probably to balled up to put a part in it....:crackup:

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You could borrow some peyote from sabrecheech after he hauls in the crop and really enjoy the day.

"No anesthetic, I brought my own. Do you mind putting on Dark Side of the Moon and maybe putting a lava lamp where I can watch it?"

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Phl218, Jedb, Rebel635 and 2 others like this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s considered immediate, for predisposition.

acorn27 likes this.