1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cordless tool sets?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I've always had great luck with Dewalt, beat the crap out of them and they keep working. I still see a lot of them out in the field.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

The who-makes-what is interesting, but doesn't really affect my purchasing. I'm not swayed from buying an LS460 just because the same company makes the Yaris...

3. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Well when in a lot of cases you're dealing with quality stuff like DeWalt vs Craftsman... What's the difference in price? Quality or just the name. Doubt there's much of a difference in quality there.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

pushing an old dewalt set with new ebay batteries as well. they are holding charges well, the only grief i have with them is the fitment, the release sucks.

the standard power drill is finally giving up, but i think it's the switch, so, i'll just open it and have a look. maybe it can be saved.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

PM me the info if you can't find a switch for sale.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Truth be known one of the reasons I went with Milwaukee is they sponsor motorcycle racing. :p A few years earlier it may have been Makita.

rafa likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

So does DeWalt.

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I was always a Dewalt fanboy but my last set was back when they were 12 or 14v.

Their current Flexvolt (20-60v) is VERY interesting to me cuz id love to grab one of their 60v circular saws.

Im currently using the Porter Cable 18v line.... can't really complain, it's been pretty good to me these last few years. I have their regular drill, impact driver and circular saw. I don't know if it's my batteries but the saw only makes a 4' cut or two on 3/4 chip board which frustrates the hell out of me. Hence my interest in the 60v Flexvolt Dewalt.

stk0308 likes this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I only use the cordless saw if I have one or two cuts. I get better results with the Dewalt corded or the miter saw if I have a bunch of work.

XFBO likes this.
  10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I see a lot of those Flexvolt Dewalt saws, they seem to last a long time. They have a 7 1/4" version, Dewalt claims it will cut 600 2x6's.

XFBO likes this.
  11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Anything for Porter Cable?

12. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Confirmed here......I must have 4 or 5 of them, with different wheels on each.

At that price I can afford to NOT swap from cutting wheel to grinder or flapper, then back to cutting......Just have each on its own grinder.

I have seen one get smoked tho, so it happens.

I did get one that was defective new. No "finaggling" could get the wheel to run true. It was weird. Vibrated bad. I just pitched it.....had the right fittings, and the same wheel was fine on another grinder.

Phl218 likes this.
  13. Al-

Al- Well-Known Member

It depends on the tool, but there will probably be overlap for some basic type tools. Your extra money will probably get you a slightly better battery or nicer overmolded housings with flagship brand.

14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

15. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

We use their apex and torq-set bits here at Northrop Grumman building E-2D’s- seem to work fine.

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I hear ya, I'm still working my 16x24 outbuilding, last month I began laying out the roof sheathing, and it does a decent job with that 1/2" material but when I tried cutting all the rafter tails, it did a poor job just getting through one 2x6, never mind 20 of them so I had the corded saw nearby.

I couldn't stop wishing I had that Dewalt though, cordless would have been much simpler aaaannnddd I kinda have a tool addiction. :eek:

I was hoping to hear from someone 'in the know', thanks for sharing that!

17. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I'm surprised only 1 mentioned Ryobi. I got this pack a couple years ago and its been perfect. I use it for some work stuff and light-medium home duty too. I just built some new shelves for the kitchen this past weekend and didnt even run down the 1.5AH battery. Same battery swapped between circular saw and drill. I had a charger fail and Ryobi overnighted a brand new one with no hassles.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...Chemistry-Charger-and-Tool-Bag-P884/203466936

Has every bit the OP mentioned plus the bag and 2 batteries. I got it for under $200, and if you keep an eye out you can get a free 3AH battery with quick charger.

The only negative is the circular saw is small.

JBowen33 likes this.
  18. EngineNoO9

My understanding is those cordless saws are only for trim. Maybe some heavybduty are for more but I've never expected much from them.

19. EngineNoO9

I'm really not against them at all. They have an impact wrench which I wasn't sure they had. My backup plan is still finding Craftsman c3 stuff to match my current drill. I can get batteries for it cheap. An impact isn't too pricey and I can find things here and there for it.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, when I was visiting a few of the manufacturers they had some shit that would shock the crap out of you. If the one company ever releases their battery powered worm drive. . . they just need to figure out how to keep it from breaking wrists first. :D

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019