1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cordless tool sets?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Jan 29, 2019.

1. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to expand my cordless tool set as my old Craftsman c3 19.2V drill needs a new battetu. I could probably buy a new battery and it'd be fine but I'm wanting to expand my tools as well. Specifically an impact wrench and a jigsaw. The cordless circular saws and sawzaws are eh and minor plusses but not as important.

I'm considering piecing together additional Craftsman c3 tools to add or just buy a whole new set. DeWalt seems to be the obvious. Milwaukee is the other option. What's everyone else using?

2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

My Mikita collection has been expanding over the years. So far, no issues at all. Admittedly, the blower gets used the most for clean-up in the garage.

3. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I have Dewalt and Milwaukee... I am done with Dewalt .. shit batteries and other issues .

ducnut likes this.
  4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I have been expanding my tools as well but I’m strictly a corded tool guy. I don’t like the battery tools cause when I need them the batteries are dead. I’m a set it and forget it kinda guy. F battery operated tools.
    Carry on!

auminer, crashman and sharkattack like this.
  5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Ridgid has lifetime battery warranty.

Had a charger go bad, walked into home depot.....walked out about 15min later with a new one.

VintageWannabe, XFBO, Newyork and 2 others like this.
  6. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

My Milwaukee set is great.

7. Milwaukee m18 or I’ll second the Ridgid comment. I’ve had great luck with both.

8. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I'll have to look at Ridgid. I have no interest in the yard working tools from any brand. Just garage stuff. An electric impact would be useful. As well as a ratchet. The main drill is the most important. Hadn't heard about issues with dewalt batteries. My brother-in-law and father-in-law both have new DeWalt stuff.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I was Makita for 30 years but an electrician came to my house with new Milwaukee gear and I was sold. Bought the M18 drill and driver set. Amazing tools.

pjdoran likes this.
  10. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Makita guy here. Been adding to my collection over the years and now have a recip saw, circ saw, 90* drill, 2 hammer drills, 2 1/4" impacts, 4.5" grinder, and 5 batteries. Only ever had to replace brushes in one of the drills after I abused it drilling big holes with a big auger bit back to back to back..... Other than that I've been very happy with them all. I have corded versions of all of them except the 90* drill but reach for the cordless ones first unless I'm into a big project. The only tool I "prefer" a corded one is a circular saw, but the battery one is nice for a few cuts to rip down some sheet goods. Maybe a drill if I'm into a lot of holes. A cordless 1/4" impact driver will change your life if you're into building projects and driving a lot of screws. What an awesome tool.

Most Makita tools are cheap to buy new (100-~180), and even cheaper used (about 50% of mine have been used). The best part is they've been using the same physical battery design for years (it's still great) so all the LXT18v stuff is compatible with everything else. I started with a drill/driver battery and charger kit and expanded from there.

Most of my contractor buddies are Makita, and very few problems there too (the reason I went with Makita). A couple are Milwaukee guys and they also make good tools. I've never been impressed with anything Dewalt. Maybe we get different stuff up north here, but they just seen to be too cheap and harry homeowner (like black and decker, and craftsman) and the price difference isn't enough to make up for it. It's not worth it to me to save $20 on a ~$150 impact (rough numbers) when I can feel the tool body flexing while driving a 3" deck screw. If the Makita and Milwaukee stuff is too expensive for you then go with rigid and enjoy the lifetime battery guarantee.

Whatever you get, get the brushless stuff if available. It was just coming out back when I bought mine, and was much more expensive over the brushed versions. More power and better battery life.

11. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Another one here for Rigid. They're good quality stuff and worth every penny.

12. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Makita or Milwaukee....I stay away from Rigid power tools because they just don't last and tool quality is not the same as Makita or Milwaukee....Rigid Shop Vac is ok though, just need to upgrade to a good hose for the Shop Vac.

I also stay away from Dewalt now because the quality has dropped some. Better tool than the Rigid, but not the same quality as Makita and Milwaukee....

13. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

Milwaukee M12 and m18 stuff are great. The m12 stuff is much stronger than I ever expected it to be. And it's lasted, last drill I had lasted 2 years of daily abuse.

busa99 likes this.
  14. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a work around for leaving them in the garage during winter? Well northern winters I should specify. I recently got some cordless stuff and it specifically says not to leaving the batteries in the cold but hauling it in and out is no fun.

15. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Milwaukee Fuel brushless line FTW.

busa99 likes this.
  16. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine was here last weekend to run some gas pipe for me and he had A new 12v Milwaukee fuel drill. I borrowed it to run a 3" hole saw through some 2by joist blocking and was really impressed with how much jam that tiny little drill had. The battery didn't last long understandably (only a 1ah) but it had lots of power and got the 3 holes I needed done on a charge.
    I bring them in, but have left my batteries and tools out in my unheated (not for long :)) garage many times with no lasting effects on them. The charge wont last long running in the cold however.

I'm surprise one of them hasn't come out with heated and insulated battery case for northern climates. Maybe the market is too small, but it would sure be awesome.

17. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I can't imagine the markets small at all. It's not like there aren't a lot of idiots living in the cold. Maybe people are just more willing to ruin batteries and buy new ones than I'd think.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I went this route upgrading my ancient Porter Cable. If I was doing it again I'd go Kobalt or Ridgid. The store brands have gotten very good while the top tier brands are losing quality.

19. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Ridgid. I have corded drill, cordless drill, cordless impact, cordless sander, and even a cordless vacuum. All the cordless use the same batteries. Spend a little extra for a stronger battery. I have one 5ah that just keeps going, but Ridgid has a 6 and 9 now also.

20. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I go with ryobi personally.... I have the new brushless stuff and runs well. People tend to say they don’t last or don’t run well, but I use stuff daily and it gets the jobs done. All Ryobi take the same batteries which is very helpful when on a job site where I use 6 or more different tools thru the day.