1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-Fab Metal Garage

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave_SV, Dec 11, 2018.

1. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

That's what happened to me...then the price got out of hand...then I couldn't afford it....so I still haven't built it yet.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Damn Big Brother... I was just on my Ebay page and guess what giant ad appears at the top? "Future Steel Buildings"

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are well on your way to 20ft tall and 100,000 sq ft. :D

4. Tristan

I could live with 40x80x16

5. I started looking at steel ones then once I started adding all the stuff up like insulation, wiring, 2nd level storage, cabinets, hvac, wires for 220, air, etc. Yes I know most of that I could do on my own but I’d also like this to just be done, done all at once and be done with it. I don’t have time to build the place that I go to build stuff. it was pretty much a wash to just have someone come build me a wooden/ sided one. I have a permit for up to a 24x38 I think I’m going to go with a 20x30ish, I can’t go more than 22’ high total so I’m weighing my options as I really want a lift in there, more for storage to boat/ toys than anything else.

Dave_SV likes this.
  6. I could live in that. Mine will also need a small office space and I’m sure a bed. Also must have for me is a urinal, and running water.

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I have a 30x30 on one of my properties where I keep all of my tools and equipment. I need a 60x60...

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

One other thing....don't tell your kids or family that you have the space. You'll end up with every used dinette, dresser, odd set of chairs, Christmas stuff in boxes, old furnace, even a used tub........"Can you store this for me for a while?" 20 years later it's still there.....:confused:

Dave_SV and Banditracer like this.
  9. I am pretty sure I would say the same as well.

10. Tristan

WISDOM right here. I can't turn my back without the wife pack-ratting some crap in my (already stuffed) garage and shed.

11. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

This about sums up my situation. By the time I add up the entire build the pre-fab option doesn't really cost any less than a stick frame building.

My tolerance for sweat equity is pretty low at this point so I would sub everything out.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I've been searching for my idea of a near ideal garage. It would be strong, relatively inexpensive, roomy and easy to build. There's also the consideration of an apartment.

Just throwin' this out there in an effort to be helpful, whether or not you like them, they give you other ideas or you flat out want nothing to do with 'em.
    So, FWIW...
    What I've found is that not all steel buildings are equal. Some are wood post/wood beam/steel skin, steel post/steel beam/steel skin and then there's steel structural skin. I checked the names of well known brands, not so well known and then the cheaply advertised brands which amount to little more than beer cans. Price per sq/ft has a break-over point where smaller than industrial size (50' width+?) pretty much makes steel post/beam unreasonable for garage duty.
    I'm down to one brand, two choices.
    Steel Buildings, Metal Buildings, Garages, Storage Buildings
    The XX series is touted as their strongest for snow loads, but I'm not sure about the aesthetics or the pitched roof. The Q series provides a strong snow rating and has better wind resistance, I like this for it's "traditional" look and the flatter ceiling. There are zero support posts or beams to have to work around or implement as support for other considerations in either type.
    Yes, I'm a fan of most all things born from (military) necessity. They tend to be quickly erected, quickly disassembled, easily transported (take it with you), strong and most definitely purposeful. SteelMaster buildings are modern versions of the original concept, utilizing the panels as the structural component. The panels are available in varying thicknesses to accommodate the codes for snow loads. They're treated for corrosion and a limited color selection is available as an option, as well as windows, doors - including overhead/roll-up, ventilation, skylights, insulation, end walls, fasteners and length.
    Here's scale profiles of each type in sizes appropriate for our purposes. Consider your lift heights, walking upright on top of an RV and code limitations. Sidewall benches don't appear to offer much difference in usability/overhead between the two types, other than the steeper wall of the Q60-xx. The XX series may be easier to finish with interior options as the panels are straight...no geometry to consider beyond the two angles.

Attached Files:

Dave_SV likes this.
  13. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I put this RV cover up back in June at the new house. Mexican crew of 5 did it in 3 hours. I upgraded all the bracing and went with mobile home anchors screwed in the ground. If it leaves a lot of other stuff will be gone to. Bought it locally through a dealer of Eagle Carports. Took about 3 weeks to the build date. It is a 41x14 with 12’ edge walls. Cost me $4700.

Does the job
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m in the market for a shop next summer. Local metal building fabricator is what I’ll use. Insulated on a concrete slab with extended covered area out front on a slab as well. I also have to get another crushed concrete drive put in similar to what I had done on the RV drive. RV drive cost me $5500 including dirt work. It was slopped so I had to have 10 truck loads of fill hauled in and dozer work done.

Shop driveway will be on natural grade back to the site with site requiring 4-8 loads of quality fill worked in and then a slab poured. Building will be strictly motorcycles and lawn equipment in it. Heated with natural gas heaters. No AC as of now since it’s in a forest behind the house. Stays cool back there.

Money spent after racing lol

Cool little Kubota tractor huh, it’s a 80 model and runs like a champ!

SuddenBraking, Dave_SV and TurboBlew like this.
  14. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

If I was you I would build house and use it as garage.

15. I’m not doing manual labor building a building to do manual labor in. No f ing way.

SuddenBraking, Dave_SV and Funkm05 like this.
  16. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

In doing some research, I came across information on how hotels are now being built as prefab units and stacked up in layers. QC on the build, material waste, and employee comfort are all improved vs. stick building on site. Project timeframe is also significantly shortened. Too bad it is not an option for backyard shops.

Go to the bottom of this page and watch the video. Pretty cool, IMHO.

https://www.guerdonmodularbuildings.com/markets-served/modular-hotels/

17. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

There are companies doing modular garages. I remember a thread over on garage journal several years ago. I think the manufacturer was up in Pennsylvania. They dare livers the garage in two pieces with the roof sitting flat. Once it was on site they jacked the roof up and installed the gable walls. Based on their model they were able to build some really nice garages.

18. I’m fortunate with my wife on that front. She respects my space. Considering she has about 4000sqft and I’ll have 6-800 I’d damn well hope so :)

19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Something is wrong/backwards there :)
    When I am done with my I will have ~3200sqft and she will have ~1700. I think that is fair :)

20. Hers also includes kids bedrooms/ baths/ laundry room/ kitchen :/) To be honest I’m going to build as big as a shop as I can, she doesn’t care and she also respects my space so all is good. My wife also makes a damn good living so I can’t complain there either.