1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The next big panic

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sheepofblue, Oct 9, 2018.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2018/10/08/florida-governor-calls-michael-monstrous-hurricane/

OK folks need to be careful but the hype is already WAY over the top. Worst in 11 years!! gasp an entire decade... Could land as a CAT3 oh the horror!

My prediction is a high CAT3 (up to a 2 now and has all day to increase, then hits mid day for more heat) but really. This one seems to be fast moving so less flooding. A CAT3 or less so less damage. Less size so less rain. Generally as benign as hurricanes can be. But we will hear all the horror and fake news they can make

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And yet some folks will probably die because they know best and this is just a wimpy one.

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Fast moving or not. A Cat 3 storm is nothing to mess with.
    Hope everyone on the Redneck Riviera stays save with minimal damage.

4. sheepofblue

Thus my be careful statement. Hurricanes are fairly easy to avoid and if you are in the area and can leave do so. That said it is the news media hype acting like this is the end of the world when it is a normal occurrence on the pan handle.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm vintage enough to remember when the warnings were not nearly as detailed as they are now. There were no satellites and the storm track was pretty much based on the info gleaned by flights into the storm center. We took the warnings seriously and prepared to be without water and food. The track was far less known since you didn't necessarily know where to head.

Primary differences between now and then is that there are FAR more people living in the storm's path and IMHO, the chicken little reports have resulted in people that have survived minor storms thinking one is the same as another. Hurricanes are serious storms. They can and will kill. Do all you can to stay safe.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Since it's hitting Florida they should have named it Mickey.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They can shorten if it turns right before landfall.

8. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

If the media and government didn't hype it up, and it kills a bunch of people, heads will roll.

9. In Your Corner

Usually, more people die after the storm than during the storm.
    Driving into high water, electrocutions and chainsaw/tree cutting accidents take their toll.

10. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

And how many actual Hurricanes have you personally experienced first hand? I've been in two, so far. They ain't fun.

11. sheepofblue

Reading comprehension?.... I started with be careful, I added leave if you can in following posts.

That said they are acting like this is Katrina and it is not. Again get out if you are able and be careful if you cannot but this is not the storm of the century they are hyping it as.

EDIT
    And if you are in any pissing matches look around for downed lines before lettin' 'er rip.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Fixed that for you. And here's some photographic evidence to go along with the hype:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

That image is going to be the reason someone stays put and dies in some future storm.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. And then they'll sue the Weather Channel and every official who didn't tell them how bad the hurricane would be that time...

15. sheepofblue

I am predicting it hits land as a CAT2 and I didn't even have to stand in a ditch to do so.

16. In Your Corner

I'll go with a CAT 2-fiddy.

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

not saying I have more experience... but Im isolated on an island thats only accessible via bridge or ferry.
    Winds over 50mph and the bridges get shut down and nobody goes nowhere.(like on I95)
    So long as there are cops parked at these bridges... Im not too worried.
    Yes I do prepare with ample water and power.
    Just tired of the god damned non stop weather channel and local news blabber.
    Also Im amused years ago the City council thought it was a good idea to erect these PVC warning poles with depth markers
    for storm surge like Cat 1, 2, etc. Then the same govt lets someone build a Jesus radio station not 50' from these markers well
    below the Cat 1 surge marker...lol. And a set of town homes not 1/8th mile away right on the water... with their roof just about the Cat 5 surge height.

18. In Your Corner

You need to make a video.
    Let them know you're pissed!

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Would you like to reconsider your prediction? Or at least look for a ditch?

20. sheepofblue

Yep was just going to say I missed. All along I said if you can leave if not be careful. Hopefully the members he have left if not stay safe.

That said I stick by all of my comments about the media hyping the storm of the century historic and faking photos (coming soon) rather than reporting details.

Next up GA so get your snorkel out.